Search
Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tpg racer
So what is the moral of this question???

Should I still consider getting a Pro4 or not???
I guess it depends on what you want to do with it, If you want to race Mod. I would say get the Cyclone, If you want to race stock or 19 turn, It's as fast as anything on the market, I own a lot of TC's (wagonman72 can back me up on that one... ) and still my car of Choice in stock is a Pro4, For me nothing is faster in stock, I would have no problem recommending a Pro4, They are a Great deal in the used market, I say go for it.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

New Hara Pro 4's are still available and parts will be around for quite awhile. I wouldn't be afraid to get one if I were you.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Oh and yes xxxkat has had alot of touring cars, believe that.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Guys the Pro4 is still a very good car. But with the baby coming now I need to unload some of my stuff. I have a very nice BMI Pro4 for sale in the for sale section. And a bunch of parts. For anyone that is interested.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

bxpitbull, i dont have a problem with the pro 4 i posted an honest answer.

I drive conservatively and have broken very few things, regardless of whether you baby your car or not accidents happen. Someone driving the wrong way on the track may decide to have a head on with you on the track. Or if you are bashing in the car lot that concrete gutter may just have got too close.

If you buy something being discontinued you risk the chance of not being able to get parts in the future. If you are a serious racer then that is something you have to seriously think about.

If you buy a car the last thing you want to worry about 6 months or 1 year down the track is, i wonder if i can get that part if it just happens to break.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey Mango, no beef man. I wasnt flaming on you. I quoted and bolded what you said because once the Pro4 was discontinued, I did precisely what you advised...I bought a used car for parts. I agree totally that people should be a bit wary when purchasing a car that has been discontinued. Heck, I bought my Hara after being out of electrics for 6 months. I bought it in June and it was discontinued in late July. Had I consulted the forums, I wouldve seen that coming and possibly looked into purchasing something else. Indeed, one can break something just "babying" their vehicle. Me, my driving style is just aggressive (my other passion is monster trucks).
Old 10-05-2006, 08:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Racing a discontinued kit just doesn`t give me that `It`s the lastest Kit/Car feeling`.
But it does make you feel good that you had(Have) the Kit before it was discontinued.

I will never race My Pro 4 again. I know there still are parts out there for the Pro 4; but I just don`t want to take a chance and damage/break something.
-I just feel that Discontinued Kits are are Classic Kits and you should keep it in the best shape.

I don`t understand how Belt Drive kits came back to the top. I thought Shaft Drive kits was the best.....Fastest?
-I`m saying this because I only like Shaft Drive Kits and I feel that I`m now into the 2nd Class Group of R.C. 1/10 Electric. . . . .Ha Ha!

I would like to get those HPI Purple Aluminum Damper-End Ball - (Item #: 31412). But I can`t find them at the HPI or Tower Hobbies sites. Where/How can I get them? - - - - -Please give me some info on that.

Thanks

Take Care.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Oh man, I'm a tight budget racer.

I would want my car to last as long as possible.

Now I'm in dilemma.

Should I or should I not get a Pro4???
Old 10-05-2006, 09:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Guys just because a kit is no longer out. Does not mean that parts are no longer available. Look at Losi and AE. You can still get parts for cars that are 5 years gone.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

The kit is still available distributors and dealers still have them.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I am going to assume you want to race the car competively as the Pro 4 is a competition level car.

Yes parts are still available now and i imagine will be for at least 2-3 years, but thats a chance you take. I cant see there being an endless supply of diff housings, if you somehow manage to smash one up or strip the screws. I also dont know what non-hpi one-ways will fit in the Pro 4. Chassis' will probably sell out and then if you want BMI to make a batch i believe their minimum is an order of 5 so you have to find other people to go in with you.

In australia the tracks generally seem to be smaller than in the US and and europe and tight technical tracks can be a handfull for shaft drive cars which are supposedly meant to push in the corners. When running mod motors shaft drive cars also experience torque steer (but i believe you are looking at motors like 10T and lower winds which i have never come close to using).

You also need to consider that if you are going to go with a non-mainstream car when you go to a track people cant look at your car and relate to it directly and see issues which another pro 4 driver might imediately see. And if you break parts do you want to have to look around and try to find someone who stocks it or do you prefer the ease of going to your local hobby shop who should be able to order the part in easily.

Ultimately the Pro 4 is great for stock motors (and i expect 19T) especially on tracks which are not tight/technical (carpet with foam tires seems to be a different kettle of fish as any car will stick to it, but i havent raced much on it). If you buy it now you should still get good service out of it but in my opinion if you are starting off you would be better off getting a more common car.

If you do end up getting the Pro 4 and are going to run a one-way diff (which you should if you are not racing carpet) then make sure you stock up on bevel gears, as the Pro 4 is notorious for stripping them. Also before installing the front bevel gears soak them in hot water. Just trust me on that one, its a tip which has been documented by HPI.

And as you can see this thread is still quite active so if you run into problems you can always pop in here and see if anyone can help you.

Incidentally, is there any reason why you are particularly keen on the Pro 4? Do you know a lot of people who have one?
Old 10-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I was picking up some extra parts for my car today from Killer Hobbies and noticed they had a hugh sell on replacement parts. Check it out.

http://www.killerhobbies.com/
Old 10-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

I`ll stay racing/running the Pro 4. I`ll just get another Pro 4 to Race and Run/Race on My Street Track(with a better radio).
-I`ll have a Shelf Pro 4 and a Racing Pro 4.....Ha Ha!

I was planning on getting a Tamiya TB Evo 5; but I changed my mind. The Evo 5 will cost me over $700.00(that includes Electronics and other stuff).
-It`s really the same as the Pro 4; just more Nice Aluminum parts and better Diff Access.
--You can`t get a better Shaft Drive Kit/Car than the Pro 4.

- - - - -I`m saving My Money and I`m getting a Better Radio.

I`ve killed My TB Evo 4 on Tuesday during a Street Race.(I put the wrong Receiver Crystal in, then I lost control of it and then it got ran over by a car. I use a Futaba 2PL. . . . .for now.).
I liked My TB Evo 4.....somewhat.....I used it to kill and show the Nitro Guys that Electric Cars have speed.
But I could have avoided that lost if I had a better radio.

Take Care.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisR40
I was picking up some extra parts for my car today from Killer Hobbies and noticed they had a hugh sell on replacement parts. Check it out.

http://www.killerhobbies.com/
Nice find...I just ordered a few item that I will eventually be needing. At those prices, I couldnt resist.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

People, for those who break outdrives, I got a guy milling them at 30 bucks a set. He is looking for someone who can do the pinion in aluminum. This will be to compliment the ring gear in metal from rcmushroom.com. If there is a part that enuf people want in metal, I can get it done. And for all those who are wondering, I am not getting any kickbacks and I am not tacking anything on. Me getting a few bucks for parts wont fatten my bank account. I just want to keep this thread and car alive until they iron out their problems over at HPI. And GUY, let me know when you are heading to Ft. Bennet Field. We need to link up before winter gets here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.