Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC Lipos 7.4 5000mah

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Danny, Ive appreciated seeing the data, feedback from your supplier, etc. I think this thread when you weed out all the bickering has been quite educational for both the consumers and SMC. I think some of the "debating" is a hangover from Jack's hostile stance earlier in the thread which thankfully he has backed away from. It sounds to me like you are beginning to do the necessary testing and gather information for your consumers --and thats a really good thing. So keep up that good work.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Read some of the posts from the past couple pages and you will know why I am so "hostile". It is so easy to take shots at a manufacturer who has nothing to gain and everything to lose by responding. I however, don't care, so I have no problem speaking my mind. If it is fair for everyone else, it is fair for me. We have validated our claims, so there is nothing to hide. There never was. We have come on and quantified the performance of our product. Until our detractors can do the same, we are only arguing speculative parameters.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Danny, Ive appreciated seeing the data, feedback from your supplier, etc. I think this thread when you weed out all the bickering has been quite educational for both the consumers and SMC. I think some of the "debating" is a hangover from Jack's hostile stance earlier in the thread which thankfully he has backed away from. It sounds to me like you are beginning to do the necessary testing and gather information for your consumers --and thats a really good thing. So keep up that good work.

Ditto. And when SMC releases a LiPo pack in a hard case, I will consider upgrading from my Orion packs. My only request with the hard cases is to not pigeonhole any one type of plug system. Converting everything to Traxxas plugs is not high on my list of things to do, and I'm probably not alone in that view.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I finally understand... Turbo Joe and the other habitual complainers are bashers not racers They only care about how long their Toy cars run and how many charges per $ a pack can deliver. They probably couldnt feel the difference between a race pack and a practice pack.
SMC has always catered to the RACER... someone who appreciates PERFORMANCE.
SMC came on and promoted the PERFORMANCE (voltage and IR) of their pack.... thats their niche of the RC industry.
You all have said what you think.... over and over and over again so go bash on the Max Amps thread for awhile
Oh... I am sponsored by a competitor of SMC... dont know Jack or Danny... just sick of all the stupid talk
Old 10-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
The test is done using a Comeptition Electronics GFX with Lipo upgrade.

The packs were charged at 5 amps and discharged at 35 amps down to 6 volts. The voltage sensing leads were attached at the solder point of the connector that would be put on your speed control wire. Which means this takes into consideration the voltage drop through the connectors.

SMC 5000LD: 527 seconds or 5123mAH , 7.22 average voltage and 10.2 internal resistance.
Danny, will you be putting this info on all your lipos ?
Thanks.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
??

Novak warranty is 120 days... and after that it gets expensive. They even charge a $5.00 handling fee on top of repair fees and return shipping. If you send in something that doesn't need repaired it would be $38 minimum to get it back thanks to their $25 "it's not broken" fee and shipping policies.

LRP did replace a speedo for me once... I think it was $6 to cover shipping. I have even had some companies not charge for the repair or shipping.
You can run over a 2-year old GTB with a tank and they'll replace it for $69. If that's expensive, you're in the wrong hobby.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by twistedone
if you don't like SMC DON'T BUY IT simple as that

next question
OK.

How would you know if you like them if they won't tell you anything (or don't know anything) about their batteries?

Would you buy a Nimh pack from them that said (only) on the labels, "This pack is great, trust us!"?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 139 (97%+)

when I bought my SMC pack I based it on the performance from past packs and by my local SMC sponsered world champion that is always promoting SMC stuff and stands behind it with proof that I consider enough to suit me
next question
Old 10-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by twistedone
when I bought my SMC pack I based it on the performance from past packs and by my local SMC sponsered world champion that is always promoting SMC stuff and stands behind it
next question
you already had to replace your lipo pack?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

I race a couple times a week...and maybe I've come to figure out that batteries aren't everything. If I can run down people with a Lipo that has less voltage than either another Lipo or a NiMh...then yeah...I don't tend to sweat the extra tenth of a volt.

Maybe I'm old enough and savvy enough to know what matters and what doesn't for the racing I do. I may not be a "world champion" like you, but I am a racer.

If I'm going to pay premium prices for a Lipo pack, I want to know what I'm getting in terms of longevity. You baller guys can keep the "one run wonders", I'll stick with my nice, easy and consistent Lipos thank you.

I think I've seen all the platitudes and double-talk I need to see. You may now commence the bashing and flaming...I have a nice helmet and fire suit.

Originally Posted by ottoman
I finally understand... Turbo Joe and the other habitual complainers are bashers not racers They only care about how long their Toy cars run and how many charges per $ a pack can deliver. They probably couldnt feel the difference between a race pack and a practice pack.
SMC has always catered to the RACER... someone who appreciates PERFORMANCE.
SMC came on and promoted the PERFORMANCE (voltage and IR) of their pack.... thats their niche of the RC industry.
You all have said what you think.... over and over and over again so go bash on the Max Amps thread for awhile
Oh... I am sponsored by a competitor of SMC... dont know Jack or Danny... just sick of all the stupid talk
Old 10-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I believe some people are hopeful for a future where racing is more about the racing, and less about the gear. Whether or not LiPo will contribute to that remains to be seen. But it's disheartening to see it not even given a chance when the "race" companies seem to immediately focus on keeping things the same. In fact, it seems a little bit self-serving, and... evil.

I hope nobody is insinuating that if you're not racing in a class (like stock on-road) where people live and die by the volt, that you're just bashing. I'm pretty sure the off-road crowd would disagree. For that matter, even mod on-road, where most people can't control all the speed that's available anyway.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 139 (97%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
you already had to replace your lipo pack?
no on past battery packs not the lipo
Old 10-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jag88
Danny, will you be putting this info on all your lipos ?
Thanks.
This is something we thought about but after testing 8 of our packs the runtime fluctuated by 3 seconds and the voltage by .02 so it doesn't make sense to cycle all the packs to put the info.

This could also create confusion as there are many things that can influence the numbers. So some companies may come up with a pack that would have better or worse looking numbers but if the packs were done on our GFX and how we test the packs the results would be different.

Unless we see bigger fluctuations it makes no sense to do this.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

What good is extra voltage when the car can't handle the power. subc cells were not made to discharge at a steady 110 amp rate. This means that hotter motors can be used and will be used. If the packs don't dump and deliver huge power then its going to allow any one to run a gtb 3.5 or a 6turn mod that wants to. The reason packs typicaly dump is because they over heat from too much current draw. I really think electric should just completely go to a single class like nitro has. There is no such thing as big block & small block 1/8th scale buggy and it obviously works. Slow drivers will just hit more walls then fast drivers. I will say that cars will need to become more durable if the 20 minute mains replace the triple mains that are a standard of todays electric racing. Most people will expect to crash in a 20 minute main and a glass land rocket is not going to get them to the finish line. If you are looking to add weight to your packs then there is an easy fix.
1.strap the lipo into your battery slot
2.glue weights to the bottom of the battery(stick them in the slots for the subc cells) to make up for the lost weight.
3. whe you glue the weights be sure to place them so that the pack will still be balanced.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
But it's disheartening to see it not even given a chance when the "race" companies seem to immediately focus on keeping things the same. In fact, it seems a little bit self-serving, and... evil.
So now its "Evil and self serving" to promote your product based on its superior performance
I dont see you posting that comment on the various car, motor, electronics or tire threads. Every manufactuer implies that their product is superior in some way. This is a RACING product and the fastest products sell. Its hard to sell... "My product is slower but it might last a little longer" to a racer.

It might be more productive for you guys to actually try out a SMC LiPo and post a honest evaluation... good or bad... rather than to just pick apart everything they post. Maybe they are good or maybe they are crap but there is only one way to find out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.