Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:38 AM
Tech Master

@Keith
You Scared me now
If a Driver Like you breaks 5 a week I should Order Tens of them
How About Xray C hubs? It fits but a bit too tight sanding them a bit may work has anybody Tried them?
P.s Never trust 3R Alloy Parts Maybe Square made alloys would be better for you ....
Old 11-17-2009, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Keith Billanti
anyone know of a US based company that carries 4 degree castor blocks in aluminum? (3 racing or the like)

I went through 5 carbon caster blocks this past weekend.

also need spoolcups...
I was told to use the IFS normal plastic C Hub...and I never break it anymore after that.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yokemad
@Keith
You Scared me now
If a Driver Like you breaks 5 a week I should Order Tens of them
How About Xray C hubs? It fits but a bit too tight sanding them a bit may work has anybody Tried them?
P.s Never trust 3R Alloy Parts Maybe Square made alloys would be better for you ....
No worries man. I was really pushing the car.

Martin (Crisp) came to my track and he was feeding me ideas for setup all day and it seems i kept getting further and further away from where I needed to be.

Until this week I have broken only a couple parts. Also caster blocks, though. lol.

Had a nasty traction roll once traction came up... but before i started messing with the car it was right on pace... but after 3 rounds- the pace was like 1.5 laps faster- and my car was getting progressively worse.

I dont care who makes the aluminum-- as long as they are true.. lol.

I have to beat this traction roll. Martin says his car will roll too if he is not careful. Just seems wrong to have to adjust driving style to accommodate for a poor handling characteristic.

Think the Xray pieces will fit? Does anyone have the specs? Same pin? Height? that would be ideal. I can modify a little- i just dont want to have to drastically change things to make up for this.

ALSO--- a FYI for everyone. I picked up the LCDs that are available now from Atomic (i think it was atomic)... I got two weeks out of them before a drive pin broke. (in 13.5 rubber mind you) I dont know If replacements can be bought- i havnt looked into it. They work great- really smooth out the steering, but the pin diameter needs to be increased, and they need to be longer. I had to readjust them many times.

KB
Old 11-17-2009, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dameetz
I was told to use the IFS normal plastic C Hub...and I never break it anymore after that.
I was running these for a long time- BUT there is only one problem.. they are rubber. I cant imagine that with the deflection under load in a corner-- they still provide consistent caster.

I dont know if mine were spent or what, but just on the bench my car was reading 10degrees of caster on one side and 5 on the other. I switched to the carbon ones and the car was instantly more consistent. BUT- at the cost of fragility.

Needs an answer to this problem...

Now- i rarely break stuff- but my car was apart after every run this weekend- and If i cant get ahold of parts by the weekend without paying 26.00 shipping from speedtech (2 day to NY)-- might be looking at other options.

I do love the car though...
Old 11-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I don't think anybody in the US carries the Square stuff unfortunately. But, the c-hubs they make are really tough, and hold up quite well. The composite pieces aren't even usable in my experience. I do use the rubber ones sometimes, but I'm beginning to think they're just too inconsistent when the traction comes up.

Does TamiyaUSA or Ampdraw have the spool cups? If not, you might need to throw them in with your HK order for c-hubs. This kind of stuff is why Tamiya struggles to gain popularity in the US.

Were your atomic LCD's destroying the spool cups? When I saw they were 44mm, I figured that would be the problem.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I don't think anybody in the US carries the Square stuff unfortunately. But, the c-hubs they make are really tough, and hold up quite well. The composite pieces aren't even usable in my experience. I do use the rubber ones sometimes, but I'm beginning to think they're just too inconsistent when the traction comes up.

Does TamiyaUSA or Ampdraw have the spool cups? If not, you might need to throw them in with your HK order for c-hubs. This kind of stuff is why Tamiya struggles to gain popularity in the US.

Were your atomic LCD's destroying the spool cups? When I saw they were 44mm, I figured that would be the problem.

I smell an xray in my future. Im not paying and waiting for shipping from HK every time i need something.

LCDs-- i dont think so. I think the spool cups were a little spent before i put them in anyway.

I want harder compound spool cups too.

Rubber casters---=== junk.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

TIR Racing Spool
I never seen them but If the cups Like the ones we use on xray (TIR cups) thats what you want
Which Class you r racing? Mod?
Old 11-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Keith Billanti
I smell an xray in my future. Im not paying and waiting for shipping from HK every time i need something.

LCDs-- i dont think so. I think the spool cups were a little spent before i put them in anyway.

I want harder compound spool cups too.

Rubber casters---=== junk.
No doubt XRay is an attractive choice in the US with all the parts availability and such, especially if you can land a 50% deal. I really think you have to want to run a Tamiya if you're in the US, 'cause the US importer and hobby shops don't seem to really care about on-road in north america. Shane at Ampdraw being a big exception, he's really tried hard to keep things in stock.

If I were starting over, knowing what I do now, I'd probably have to give XRay some serious consideration as well. But after 2.5 years, I've got so many kits and spares, I barely need to order anything, and it would be very expensive to switch brands. Plus, the car is awesome, and it's nice not to be another "me too" at the track.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

No doubt XRay is an attractive choice in the US with all the parts availability and such, especially if you can land a 50% deal. I really think you have to want to run a Tamiya if you're in the US, 'cause the US importer and hobby shops don't seem to really care about on-road in north america. Shane at Ampdraw being a big exception, he's really tried hard to keep things in stock.

If I were starting over, knowing what I do now, I'd probably have to give XRay some serious consideration as well. But after 2.5 years, I've got so many kits and spares, I barely need to order anything, and it would be very expensive to switch brands. Plus, the car is awesome, and it's nice not to be another "me too" at the track.
Dont forget about speedtech, one of the best Tamiya parts support in the US
Old 11-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by JasonC
Dont forget about speedtech, one of the best Tamiya parts support in the US
I'll have to give them another shot, it seems like they're so frequently out of everything I want that I stopped shopping there.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

keith,
get the yeah racing alloy c-hubs, the anodizing match is near perfect
and much closer than the 3Racing peices. The 3Racing c-hubs look
like they have been faded in the sun and have no gloss, they also
bend very very easily from my experience.

The Yeah racing C-hub is much stronger, closer anodizing match,
and very cheap (about $11).

I ordered these because the graphite c-hub breaks on light
board taps and brushes, very fragile but very true in comparison
to the IFS-plastic.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

I've been running 3racing c hubs never had a problem with it, just ck it today and it's not deformed or anything.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

I hate using Alloy parts but I think I must use them this time ...I'm sorry to say that but Tamiya Part quality is a bit Low
Old 11-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I'll have to give them another shot, it seems like they're so frequently out of everything I want that I stopped shopping there.
That's because we have a lot of Tamiya guys here in socal who buy 'em all up!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i always carry a pair of every think in my box excluding alloy parts and chassis plate

rebuild the car every 2 months depending on usage and never really have wear or breakage problems

if somethig has a bit of play in it , i change it , i dont want to DNF a race i have travelled 200kms to compete in because i didn't change a 3 euro part

i find the Carbon reinforced C hubs get Brittle after a few crashes or sharp impacts

i wont use alloy parts as they can bent and not get seen on rebuild

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.