Community
Wiki Posts
Search

414m2 Carpet rubber setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 11:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 414m2 Carpet rubber setup

the track i run on has one long straight, which turns into a fast full throttle sweeper. The the rest of the track is kind of tight, mostly 180 degree turns and a few decreasing radius turns. Ozite carpet.

Right now i have AE 60wt shock oil all the way around. i'm running 1.5 degrees of camber all the way around. Yellow front sway bar, none in the rear. Tamiya White springs in front, and tamiya blue in rear. The shocks are set in hole 3 from the outside front and rear. Droop is 3 in the front and 4 in the rear. I run put 24R and sorex soft inserts, on yokomo dish rims. The problem i'm having is the car's tail keeps coming loose in the sweeper at the end of the straight. I don't let off the gas or anything. When i turn in the tail just begins to slide. No matter how smooth i take this turn, the tail just slides all the way through the sweeper. I know i'm loosing a lot of speed on this turn, so can someone please help me. It's like the back doesn't stay planted. I dont know if it's too much steering or understeering. It doesn't feel like over steer, because when i yank the steering wheel, the tail doesn't pop loose, it only comes loose at speed.

help help help

Need setup advice.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:00 AM
Tech Adept

i personally havent drive on carpet before but you could try making the rear end softer so that it rolls a bit more and you get more grip
Old 05-05-2003, 07:46 PM

i drive a trf and i used white in the fronts and blue in the backs i beleive.......

it might be the other way around i cant remember 100%
Old 05-05-2003, 07:48 PM

i just checked and i was right

whites in the front
blue's in the back

then you just ask your club members for help for the other stuff. like balancing the car out and stuff
Old 05-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Tech Rookie

i'm the only person with a 414mii at my local track. i know i'm close to finding a solution i just need a little push in the right direction.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:43 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: 414m2 Carpet rubber setup

Originally posted by walkercart
the track i run on has one long straight, which turns into a fast full throttle sweeper. The the rest of the track is kind of tight, mostly 180 degree turns and a few decreasing radius turns. Ozite carpet.

Right now i have AE 60wt shock oil all the way around. i'm running 1.5 degrees of camber all the way around. Yellow front sway bar, none in the rear. Tamiya White springs in front, and tamiya blue in rear. The shocks are set in hole 3 from the outside front and rear. Droop is 3 in the front and 4 in the rear. I run put 24R and sorex soft inserts, on yokomo dish rims. The problem i'm having is the car's tail keeps coming loose in the sweeper at the end of the straight. I don't let off the gas or anything. When i turn in the tail just begins to slide. No matter how smooth i take this turn, the tail just slides all the way through the sweeper. I know i'm loosing a lot of speed on this turn, so can someone please help me. It's like the back doesn't stay planted. I dont know if it's too much steering or understeering. It doesn't feel like over steer, because when i yank the steering wheel, the tail doesn't pop loose, it only comes loose at speed.

help help help

Need setup advice.

You have too much steering up front (don't dial it out) it will only cover up what you need to fix.. You are soft and need to make some changes and stiffen up the front a bit.

I probably would go stiffer on the swaybar up front like blue.

If you can run 60 with 2 hole pistons it should limit susp travel. Actually I run 80wt 2 hole with the Tamiya old flour yellow springs up front and new reds in the back..

I usually run 1 deg camber but, keep it equal front and back.

Droop in front usually 0 to 1. Might make it too punchy though for you, rear sounds right. Chassis height 5mm f/r.

Sorex soft inserts I don't know those. I like Yok meds or HPI yellows are fairly close. If you are squeeling then you probably are too soft. Soft inserts will make you loose traction in the corners.

Make sure your diff is not too tight.

Hope some of this helps.

Coop
Old 05-06-2003, 12:37 AM
Tech Regular

midle shock holes on both front and rear shock tower
yellow springs
60wt front
50wt rear
sorex 28r in the front
sorex 24r in the rear
set the front for anti dive
set the rear for kick up
no one ways
traction compund TQ orange
yellow sway bars front and rear
4degree caster
1degree camber in the front
2degree camber in the rear
try that and let me know what happens then i can help with the adjustments
Old 05-06-2003, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey buddy, how are you?

I ran my 414 over there on Sunday. I didnt get to race or run against anyone, but I felt my car was handling well.

You saw the shock positions I had.
As for shock oil, I am running 35wt associated.(I used this on asphalt) with white 2 hole pistons.

I used the same springs you were using.

I used the 2-dot rear toe-in block.
Blue sway-bars all the way around(Worlds kit in front)

Keep the oneways. The purpose of these is to help you turn.(mostly off power)

I used Take-off CS-22 tires with Paragon Ground Effects traction compound.

As for rollcenter spacers, I only had them on the front mounts for the arms. only 1 mm I think. not much.

I think my camber was one degree all the way.

I had zero problems with oversteer when at your track. I actually had a tad of understeer in the high speed turns. My car worked great everywhere else.

I know it is hard to get a good setup when you are on your own with a car. I hardly ever ask for setup help. Sometimes I get it right and sometimes I get it wrong.

Good luck, and I will see you guys on memorial day weekend.(gonna race sunday)

GoFaster
(Ron)
Old 05-06-2003, 09:50 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks i'm gonna try it out probably thursday night. I'm debating on getting the worlds sway bar kit. The only advantage i can tell it has, is that it's a lot easier to change the front sway bar than the original that came with the kit
Old 05-06-2003, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

I am not sure about the swaybar kit. I never used swaybars until I came to your track. So I have no previous experience with the kit swaybar. Looks neat though.

What is your ride height like? If your rear is higher, then you would get more steering. Try making it even all the way around.

Have fun

Ron
Old 05-06-2003, 01:40 PM
Tech Rookie

my right height is 4.5mm all around. Hey is your name ron, if it is well my name is ron too! nice to meet you.

I'll try all these nice setup tips probably thurday evening
Old 05-06-2003, 01:45 PM
Tech Rookie

my right height is 4.5mm all around. Hey is your name ron, if it is well my name is ron too! nice to meet you.

I'll try all these nice setup tips probably thurday evening
Old 05-07-2003, 04:44 AM
Tech Regular

Why, yes it is.

Nice t meet you.

Ron