Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where To Buy 'Old Style' Novak 13.5 BL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The orginal bonded magnets looked different from the new EX version.I took one apart last weekend and the new bonded have brass sleeves and look like gray plastic. I had my orginals but can't find them presently.We changed the rotor and endbell to the Sinstered rotor. My protype motor is still working fine.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BullFrog
The orginal bonded magnets looked different from the new EX version.I took one apart last weekend and the new bonded have brass sleeves and look like gray plastic. I had my orginals but can't find them presently.We changed the rotor and endbell to the Sinstered rotor. My protype motor is still working fine.
The brass sleeves and grey magnets sound like the very original SS bonded rotor that came in the 4300 and 5800. The darker colored rotors were released as an "updated" rotor for the 4300 and 5800 that required a new endbell, and were a darker colored material. The rotors that came in the faster motors released later were also a darker material, but had some kind of wrap on them, presumably to hold them together under high RPM?

So, in summary, I've seen three different bonded rotors:
1. SS - Grey magnet, smaller bearing
2. Updated - Black magnet, larger bearing
3. Velociti Bonded - Black magnet, larger bearing, wrapped in material

Maybe one of the Novak guys can clear things up?

Also, UN4, are you talking about the circuit board that the Hall sensors and temperature sensor are mounted on that's down in the can? Was it green in earlier motors and orange later?
Old 08-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Tech Lord

Novak Bonded Rotors:

1. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJXS2&P=7 (SS)
2. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNKW0&P=7 (SS Oversized Bearing)
3. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMYK0&P=7 (Velociti)
Old 08-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

So which bearing comes in the EX series...large or small?
Old 08-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
So which bearing comes in the EX series...large or small?
small
Old 08-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me

Also, UN4, are you talking about the circuit board that the Hall sensors and temperature sensor are mounted on that's down in the can? Was it green in earlier motors and orange later?
Yeah they were green. And later switched to orange. The green one had 3 little capacitors or diodes not sure what they are.? And the orange one has 4. I thought they had some thing to do with sensing the timing.?
You have to put them side by side to see. But the green one had more Rpm than any of my orange ones. Smoke, Jaz, or henbeave bought it. I'm not sure who got which one.

Thats what I thought he may want is the green one. (Sensor)

They were 4300. But the 1st 13.5's had them to.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Tech Lord

The Hall Effect sensors are how the ESC know the position of the rotor. You can read up on them to learn more, it's a pretty neat deal. Having a sensor to tell you the exact position of the rotor seems to lead to a much smoother response than trying to rely on back EMF like the sensorless guys do. I believe that's what you're seeing mounted to that board, along with perhaps a temperature sensor? I can't imagine the color of the PCB would make a difference, but it may correspond to some kind of change made in the motors at the same time that affected speed?

What rotor did the 13.5 come with originally? I know the first 30 or so shipped with the SS rotor (and smaller bearing) but didn't the rest have the larger bearing? If so, presumably, they ran with the updated bonded rotor, right? So maybe the EX actually is different, if that's the case.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Only one problem with the grey and darker material theory. I have the protytpe 13.5 motor. Actually I got two of the orginals(the test models) they they both had the darker brown material magnets.The replacement magnets that I got from Novak was the same dark brown material.The only other 13.5 I've seen was last weekend the new EX and it had a grey magnet- which we changed out to the new endbell and sinstered rotor.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:30 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by syndr0me
The Hall Effect sensors are how the ESC know the position of the rotor. You can read up on them to learn more, it's a pretty neat deal. Having a sensor to tell you the exact position of the rotor seems to lead to a much smoother response than trying to rely on back EMF like the sensorless guys do. I believe that's what you're seeing mounted to that board, along with perhaps a temperature sensor? I can't imagine the color of the PCB would make a difference, but it may correspond to some kind of change made in the motors at the same time that affected speed?

What rotor did the 13.5 come with originally? I know the first 30 or so shipped with the SS rotor (and smaller bearing) but didn't the rest have the larger bearing? If so, presumably, they ran with the updated bonded rotor, right? So maybe the EX actually is different, if that's the case.
Well I'm not sure what they changed.? But its definitely different. And if it effected rotor position that would explain how they are so smooth on the bottom end take off. I have my set so tight on the dead band all you have to do is slightly touch the trigger and it will respond.
They are visibly different. (Green from Orange).
Old 08-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

I have an older bonded one sitting around. PM if interested
Old 08-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have a older bonded rotor motor, with about 5 runs on it. If you would like, buy me a new ss motor, and I'll trade you.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by padailey
Lets remember guys that there are two bonded rotors... the original used with the smaller bearing and the upgrade rotor/end bell with the larger bearing. However the original SS13.5 came with the upgraded rotor/end bell so just make sure you get an upgrade rotor if you go the route of swapping out the sintered.
Correct, there are 2 sizes of bonded rotor, the original & one that fits the bigger bearing endbells today(that one is Novak part number 5907, I believe). Because we've been requiring the bonded rotors alot in my area, I had to make sure I could get replacements too(since my 13.5 is the newer type, except it doesn't have the ribbed can, but otherwise came the same as the 13.5 Pro, so I had to find rotors to fit it). Also, if you're talking about rotors going bad(when someone earlier mentioned EX's going out), all you need do is make sure it doesn't get too hot, & something I've been doing for that is using Novak's heat sink for them & using some freezing spray(you can get that at Radio Shack & electronics shops), just spray the heat sink(& ONLY the heat sink) right before you run & it'll keep the motor & rotor cool enough long enough to make it through a race, & it seems to keep the rotor from going bad too soon, also.....
Old 08-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Tech Lord

Novak needs to make a 13.5 out of the plastic can like the one that comes with the RTR XXX-T truck.
Its light weight. I have one but its a 4300 bonded.

If Syndrome would just tell Novak to make one we may see one.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

The EX sport is what you are looking for...........it does have the rotor you are looking for and will be legal for your club racing.

No further answers required at this time.