Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BMI's DB12R

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Just to the left and right of the cockpit window there are 2 angled sections where the body drops lower, they face back...cut those out so the air under the nose can vent out on top of the body. Also it looks like the molded in vent ridges have a spot behind them that can be cut out as well.
I am not 100% sure on this but if you plan on racing in a major event I don't believe ROAR rules will allow any type of holes cut in the bodies.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarlosG.
Thanks P2, I really was not going for the win. I just wanted to play follow the leader.

JayBee, thanks for posting your setup.I will give it a try as well. I just need to get the front springs you are using.

Are their any other setups for asphalt?
CarlosG,

Here is my asphalt setup from Sunday.
Attached Files

Last edited by islander360; 10-15-2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jeremy Otis
I am not 100% sure on this but if you plan on racing in a major event I don't believe ROAR rules will allow any type of holes cut in the bodies.
Yeah that has been a question in my mind...I believe the body is ROAR legal but wonder if they got some sort of exemption to that rule for the vent holes.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
That, my friend, is because you don't KNOW Jack.

Oh man, that was an easy setup...

Might see you guys next weekend.
Ahh Bob...always good for a laugh. Like dad always told us, lead with the chin yer gonna get pasted.

That would be GREAT if you guys could make it down. Should be plenty of track time available. We'll even stay late.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Car was dialed once again Jason. Struggled a bit in the steering dept. for the 2 quals but for the Main, the DB12R saw glory once again.

Since the weather has been a bit on the cold side this week, the track lost some grippage. Figured I had to soften up the front-end, so from the set-up I posted, I went to Magenta fronts/ 1mm of front droop/ back to.22 springs/ 2mm of rear uptravel--Boom!! Car got back that corner speed I liked but the really cool thing is that, I smoked my fast main of last week. Went from like a 41/8:09 to a 43/8:11!! On the 19th lap I was on a 45/8:10 pace but between the (3) 12.1 sec laps and a disastrous 16.6 sec lap, I did what I could with a 'tweaked' front-end. Used a buddy's Niftech tool and realized I had to add a axle shim on the spur side to get it even side to side. Damn, that's a neat little tool.

All in all though, a killer night

This car continues to amaze me....I'm thinking about giving up TC

- JBizzle

Last edited by JayBee; 10-16-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks again for the feedback bro. Im glad things are going well.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Just finished building my DB12R last night. The only problem I ran into was the delrin cap for the IRS center shock was machined incorrectly. I fought with the damned thing for half an hour trying to get it to thread all of the way in before I finally said screw it and pulled one of the end caps off of one of my CRC durashocks. Fit like a charm. Other than that, I enjoyed building the car. I noticed quite a few things in the manual that didn't make any sense or were missing, but it wasn't exactly hard to figure out. I had downloaded a copy of the manual before I received my kit, and the version I downloaded seemed to have some changes to it. here's what I noticed in my manual-

1.) The manual starts with assembling the front end of the car. It then says to bolt the front end to the chassis. A few steps later, it tells you to sand/seal the chassis...

2.) In neither manual is there a step that involves bolting the upper pod plate(graphite) to the car. (I read through about 20 times in each manual looking for it)

3.) The center shock mount has 3 holes on the chassis. The manual just says "attach it". I used the 2 rearmost holes.

4.) The 5th axle shim. I assume this was meant to go between the axle flange and the flanged bearing that the spur gear rides on?? Hope so, 'cause that's where it went.

Overall, I'm in love with the car and I haven't even driven it yet. Most of our club races are run on an blown, unsealed parking lot. The pavement is a little rough (a pair of pink rears last about 2 weekends at the most) and traction is pretty low. touring cars don't have a problem, but 12th scales occasionally do. Are there any changes that you guys tend to make to the standard setup when running on low traction outdoor tracks??
Old 10-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

yeah, i had a problem with the carbon fiber as well, i sanded it first because thats what i knew to do, but i rarely seal it, so when the step came up like halfway through, i was like this guy -> i was already done with most steps, so i still haven't disassembled it and sealed it.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Tech Champion

Well sealing the chassis these days isn't nearly as important as it was back when I first started. Today's graphite/carbon fiber is of much higher quaility then it was 10+ years ago. The layers are much closer together and less likely to split. It's still a good idea to do it though
Old 10-18-2008, 05:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Got a question for you pros on this car. I am going to be laying the servo flat on this car but if i use the rear holes, the tie rods are angled back a bit is that ok or should I bump the servo up to the front hole or attach the tie rods on the front of the servo saver so they are straight. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks kindly!
Old 10-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Tech Lord

Put the ballstuds on the front of the servo saver if you use the rear servo holes.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you very much sir!!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by windsor
Got a question for you pros on this car. I am going to be laying the servo flat on this car but if i use the rear holes, the tie rods are angled back a bit is that ok or should I bump the servo up to the front hole or attach the tie rods on the front of the servo saver so they are straight. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks kindly!
Originally Posted by protc3
Put the ballstuds on the front of the servo saver if you use the rear servo holes.
I too am planning to switch my servo to the flat position. Is this likely to make the steering to agressive? (med-high bite asphalt)
Old 10-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Lord

Actually, running the servo flat will tone the twitchy steering feel. When set up correctly(medium ballstuds on the steering blocks), you will have a slight bit of bump toe in which will give the steering a bit of a numb feel. This has always been the way i run my car on carpet. I dont like running the servo flat outdoors. I like the added aggressive feel of the angled servo in the lower bite conditions.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Having a little trouble, It looks like the tie rod is going to hit the pin that connects the upper arm and castor block. any suggestions? Does it matter on the se car? I am using the futaba S9650. And the servo mounts are in the correct hole.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.