BMI's DB12R

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Tech Champion

Dayum that looks sweet Can't wait to see the new front end
Old 03-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks buddy. I am really happy with this car. I cant wait to get them into the public hand.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Are you still recommending the newest version of the Associated front ends? I personally don't like the front end that you sell with the car and saw several pages back where you said to use the new Associated front end. I tried to install it but, the front body mounts are right on top of the front end and you can't really get a body to fit perfect. Any way to move the front body mounts a tad bid forward?

Also, would it be possible to purchase the kit without the front end?

Thanks
Tim
Old 03-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Tech Lord

The front end that comes with the car works very well. Some opt to use the updated AE front end and that will work with the hyperdrive mounting blocks. I have a few guys that are running the new AE front end on the Db12RR and it seems to fit fine. I will see how it fits with the new car as soon as i can. Moving the arm location on the car will effect the handling of the car and i dont want to mess with that. It worked extremely well at its current wheelbase so i want to keep it there. I will be releasing an optional front end soon. I could not include it in the kit as i have no room for it if i want to keep the price the same. We are really working at margin with the cars as it is the only car out that comes with all the bells and whistles. I dont cut corners with quality. I refuse to follow the rest with going cheap and flimsy.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
. I dont cut corners with quality. I refuse to follow the rest with going cheap and flimsy.
I haven't run 1/12 in a couple of years, but this was one of the highlights of my DB-12R. Quality was second to NONE.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Tech Lord

Thanks buddy.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Uga
Tech Regular

Thanks buddy. The car pretty much falls together. Very easy assembly.
From what I've seen it's really going to be a much simplier assembly than the previous version (which was allready quite easy). The new flex links are really easy to access and you don't even need to fiddle with the grub screw on top of flex plate housings. I've allready replaced the housings on my old DB12RR with the ones from Copperhead and they work a treat

Must say that in the latest pictures it really looks much better than I expected. Great job!
Old 03-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Tech Champion

The weakness of the stock front suspension is the IRS lower arms. Probably the least expensive and good option is to get the older lower AE arms that have been machined lower for more ride height adjustment. Looks like that's what Jason has on the Copperhead 12 pics.

The new AE front end with the 8/32nd adapters is a good alternative as well. I haven't tried it so I can't speak for the performance. I have tried the CRC and Serpent front ends on the car and both have their good points and bad. Initially I had problems with the CRC running the long upper arm option with the left and right being different. But now that they have gone to the long arm instead of the long ball everything is aligned very nicely and the front end works very nice. The Serpent is really nice too but it is very sloppy and needs extra shims on the top and it interferes with the bumper. In the end I found I like the CRC with the long arm option the best...at least until Jason's new front end comes out
Old 03-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Tech Champion

Oh I forgot to ask...can you get the LiPo in and out of the car without popping off the shock? It looks like you might be able to with the new layout.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey Jason,

Car looks Hott!!! great Job

Thanks buddy. I am really happy with this car. I cant wait to get them into the public hand.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Moving the arm location on the car will effect the handling of the car and i dont want to mess with that. It worked extremely well at its current wheelbase so i want to keep it there.
I wasn't suggesting moving the mounting position of the suspension, all good there. I was saying, would it be possible to move the body mount holes a tad bit forward.

I tried mounting the new Associated front end with the Hyperdrive mounts on my DB12RR and the body mounts nearly touch the Hyperdrive mounts, leaving little room for suspension when the body is mounted.

Not in any way saying that the car isn't a great car, it is. Only trying to point out that if the body mounts were moved a little forward, it would make the car more adjustable for those of us that would like to use other types of front suspension. Also, I'm more than sure that there are plenty of people out there who like the last version of the Associated frond end, it's sufficient. I personally find the front end to be less than desirable. This will be my second BMI Kit purchase and will be the second front end that I throw in the trash. I was just trying to save a little to put toward the new front end you're designing.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:16 AM
Tech Lord

Here are a couple pics for you guys
Attached Thumbnails BMI's DB12R-copperhead-12-pic-1.jpg   BMI's DB12R-copperhead-12-pic-2.jpg  
Old 03-11-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Lord

Sorry for the duplicate
Attached Thumbnails BMI's DB12R-copperhead-12-pic-1.jpg  
Old 03-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Jason,
The new car looks great, I can hardly wait to get one.

Do you sell the lowered assoc. arms?
Thanks,
E
Old 03-11-2010, 07:04 AM
Tech Lord

Yes i do I will be starting new threads for the Copperhead 10 and 12 shortly so there can be discussion and support for the new cars seperate from the DB line of cars. The copperhead 10 went together last night and man, these cars are really awesome. I am very pleased.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.