Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Orion Vortex Brushless motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just recently picked up a Vortex Race 6.5T (part no. 28131). Now I have some questions I'm hoping to get answered from all of you. It's going into my Yokomo LCG which is set up for drifting.

How do I set the timing on the motor to zero? (I noticed that the timing mark on the motor is not in the center?)

I'm running a Venom Racing 120A ESC which also has timing advance, what's a good degree of timing to run?

Spur is 96, pinion is 30 which gives me a 7.53 FDR. Temps after running a full pack to LiPo cutoff was about 113F degrees.

I'm looking for a little more speed and torque...any suggestions?
Old 07-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

to set the timing neutral just center the timing ring on the backplate of the can.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by HypeRevAE86
I just recently picked up a Vortex Race 6.5T (part no. 28131). Now I have some questions I'm hoping to get answered from all of you. It's going into my Yokomo LCG which is set up for drifting.

How do I set the timing on the motor to zero? (I noticed that the timing mark on the motor is not in the center?)

I'm running a Venom Racing 120A ESC which also has timing advance, what's a good degree of timing to run?

Spur is 96, pinion is 30 which gives me a 7.53 FDR. Temps after running a full pack to LiPo cutoff was about 113F degrees.

I'm looking for a little more speed and torque...any suggestions?
there are 3 screws just above the wire sensor. slightly loosen them( do not remove the screws) advance the timing by going left. retard the timing by going right. the long line line in the middle is zero (neutral) adjust to what ever suits you.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Adept

Default Team orion magnets

Hi guys, just got delivered the magnet type 2[ rpm/ low torque] for my 4.5T/ 12th scale, bought it from Rc Market [by the way great service, probably the best around].
Its different from the standard one[ black]. Its got a spacer and 3 shims that I guess sits on the rotor.
Can somebody help me as I dont have a clue how to fit it on my motor, just the building side of the magnet... its fan is a lot closer to the magnetic side of the magnet... dont know if I need to fit the spacer between the fan and the magnet body???... and which shim to use as they seam different lenght...
Cheers
please c photos.
Attached Thumbnails Team Orion Vortex Brushless motor-dsc06911.jpg   Team Orion Vortex Brushless motor-dsc06912.jpg   Team Orion Vortex Brushless motor-dsc06913.jpg  
Old 09-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ds400
Hi guys, just got delivered the magnet type 2[ rpm/ low torque] for my 4.5T/ 12th scale, bought it from Rc Market [by the way great service, probably the best around].
Its different from the standard one[ black]. Its got a spacer and 3 shims that I guess sits on the rotor.
Can somebody help me as I dont have a clue how to fit it on my motor, just the building side of the magnet... its fan is a lot closer to the magnetic side of the magnet... dont know if I need to fit the spacer between the fan and the magnet body???... and which shim to use as they seam different lenght...
Cheers
please c photos.
please take a photo your motor mark what turns is which ver. ?
Old 09-26-2009, 05:39 AM
Tech Adept

Default Orion

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
please take a photo your motor mark what turns is which ver. ?
Vortex 2008 Race 4.5 Part #ORI28129.

I have placed the spacer on the output side of the magnet, just left the fan as it is [close to the magnet] and chose a shim that is close to the one sitting on the standard magnet...
Will try it tomorrow hopefully wont damage anything

Last edited by ds400; 09-26-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ds400
Vortex 2008 Race 4.5 Part #ORI28129.

I have placed the spacer on the output side of the magnet, just left the fan as it is [close to the magnet] and chose a shim that is close to the one sitting on the standard magnet...
Will try it tomorrow hopefully wont damage anything
placed the spacers on the non-fan side... tried to approximate the same length when compared to the stock fan (ended up using the middle sized spacer)
Old 02-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Team orion Vortex Race Spec Star winding

it's funny
Vortex Race Spec is noted by Team Orion for Star Winding only
while Vortex Brushless Motor is Delta winding.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

They are 2 different motors. The race spec came out year or so after the first Vortex.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by revo61
They are 2 different motors. The race spec came out year or so after the first Vortex.
i don't really care about those 2 diffrent motor,
the sensored Team Orion Vortex is Delta.

What Funny thing is That,
Team Orion Vortex race spec ESC is noted Star Winding only.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by irgo
What Funny thing is That,
Team Orion Vortex race spec ESC is noted Star Winding only.
why is that funny? what is the problem with the star winding only??
Old 09-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

HI Guys
Just found this Thread running about 15 pages back in the forums.

Considering these motors are around and its 3rd qtr 2010 surely people are running these in stock and super stock.

What are peoples thoughts on the motors and what are your setups?

I am running a 17.5 2010 pro stock and I am having difficulty with temps compared to the spv3 motor.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xray09ACT
HI Guys
Just found this Thread running about 15 pages back in the forums.

Considering these motors are around and its 3rd qtr 2010 surely people are running these in stock and super stock.

What are peoples thoughts on the motors and what are your setups?

I am running a 17.5 2010 pro stock and I am having difficulty with temps compared to the spv3 motor.
You will compared to a SPv3, its the coldest running motor I know of (that goes fast). The Orion will have more bottom end and possibly a fraction less top end give or take your setup. Just set it up for the best lap times and you will find that the temps are fine as it can handle a bit of heat (more than the infamous Duo's at the very least).
Old 05-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default Orion service

I can't seen to find an Orion service contact. I have a 17.5 Vortex that shorted it's winding after a pretty short life. I was geared conservatively and no boost. It was running very well and quit instantly running down a short stretch. I'd like to send it in to see if the stator can be replaced. Does anyone know who I can contact?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
I can't seen to find an Orion service contact. I have a 17.5 Vortex that shorted it's winding after a pretty short life. I was geared conservatively and no boost. It was running very well and quit instantly running down a short stretch. I'd like to send it in to see if the stator can be replaced. Does anyone know who I can contact?
I don't know for sure, but perhaps you can contact Kyosho America or Horizon Hobby for assistance?

You could also try asking for help on the Team Orion facebook page