Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Orion Vortex Brushless motor >

Team Orion Vortex Brushless motor

Team Orion Vortex Brushless motor

Old 07-17-2009, 11:27 AM
  #706  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 21
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I just recently picked up a Vortex Race 6.5T (part no. 28131). Now I have some questions I'm hoping to get answered from all of you. It's going into my Yokomo LCG which is set up for drifting.

How do I set the timing on the motor to zero? (I noticed that the timing mark on the motor is not in the center?)

I'm running a Venom Racing 120A ESC which also has timing advance, what's a good degree of timing to run?

Spur is 96, pinion is 30 which gives me a 7.53 FDR. Temps after running a full pack to LiPo cutoff was about 113F degrees.

I'm looking for a little more speed and torque...any suggestions?
HypeRevAE86 is offline  
Old 07-17-2009, 12:09 PM
  #707  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (138)
 
SammyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New England
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)
Default

to set the timing neutral just center the timing ring on the backplate of the can.
SammyZ is offline  
Old 07-17-2009, 09:29 PM
  #708  
Tech Adept
 
mr fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: new jersey usa
Posts: 163
Default

Originally Posted by HypeRevAE86 View Post
I just recently picked up a Vortex Race 6.5T (part no. 28131). Now I have some questions I'm hoping to get answered from all of you. It's going into my Yokomo LCG which is set up for drifting.

How do I set the timing on the motor to zero? (I noticed that the timing mark on the motor is not in the center?)

I'm running a Venom Racing 120A ESC which also has timing advance, what's a good degree of timing to run?

Spur is 96, pinion is 30 which gives me a 7.53 FDR. Temps after running a full pack to LiPo cutoff was about 113F degrees.

I'm looking for a little more speed and torque...any suggestions?
there are 3 screws just above the wire sensor. slightly loosen them( do not remove the screws) advance the timing by going left. retard the timing by going right. the long line line in the middle is zero (neutral) adjust to what ever suits you.
mr fit is offline  
Old 09-25-2009, 09:23 PM
  #709  
Tech Adept
 
ds400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 106
Default Team orion magnets

Hi guys, just got delivered the magnet type 2[ rpm/ low torque] for my 4.5T/ 12th scale, bought it from Rc Market [by the way great service, probably the best around].
Its different from the standard one[ black]. Its got a spacer and 3 shims that I guess sits on the rotor.
Can somebody help me as I dont have a clue how to fit it on my motor, just the building side of the magnet... its fan is a lot closer to the magnetic side of the magnet... dont know if I need to fit the spacer between the fan and the magnet body???... and which shim to use as they seam different lenght...
Cheers
please c photos.
Attached Thumbnails Team Orion Vortex Brushless motor-dsc06911.jpg   Team Orion Vortex Brushless motor-dsc06912.jpg   Team Orion Vortex Brushless motor-dsc06913.jpg  
ds400 is offline  
Old 09-26-2009, 01:43 AM
  #710  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (12)
 
RC MARKET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 6,285
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ds400 View Post
Hi guys, just got delivered the magnet type 2[ rpm/ low torque] for my 4.5T/ 12th scale, bought it from Rc Market [by the way great service, probably the best around].
Its different from the standard one[ black]. Its got a spacer and 3 shims that I guess sits on the rotor.
Can somebody help me as I dont have a clue how to fit it on my motor, just the building side of the magnet... its fan is a lot closer to the magnetic side of the magnet... dont know if I need to fit the spacer between the fan and the magnet body???... and which shim to use as they seam different lenght...
Cheers
please c photos.
please take a photo your motor mark what turns is which ver. ?
RC MARKET is offline  
Old 09-26-2009, 06:39 AM
  #711  
Tech Adept
 
ds400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 106
Default Orion

Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
please take a photo your motor mark what turns is which ver. ?
Vortex 2008 Race 4.5 Part #ORI28129.

I have placed the spacer on the output side of the magnet, just left the fan as it is [close to the magnet] and chose a shim that is close to the one sitting on the standard magnet...
Will try it tomorrow hopefully wont damage anything

Last edited by ds400; 09-26-2009 at 07:06 AM.
ds400 is offline  
Old 09-26-2009, 09:31 AM
  #712  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (18)
 
VooDooPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Philippines
Posts: 3,715
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ds400 View Post
Vortex 2008 Race 4.5 Part #ORI28129.

I have placed the spacer on the output side of the magnet, just left the fan as it is [close to the magnet] and chose a shim that is close to the one sitting on the standard magnet...
Will try it tomorrow hopefully wont damage anything
placed the spacers on the non-fan side... tried to approximate the same length when compared to the stock fan (ended up using the middle sized spacer)
VooDooPH is offline  
Old 02-02-2010, 11:41 AM
  #713  
Tech Fanatic
 
irgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 893
Default Team orion Vortex Race Spec Star winding

it's funny
Vortex Race Spec is noted by Team Orion for Star Winding only
while Vortex Brushless Motor is Delta winding.

irgo is offline  
Old 02-02-2010, 01:09 PM
  #714  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (18)
 
revo61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the dirty south
Posts: 2,886
Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Default

They are 2 different motors. The race spec came out year or so after the first Vortex.
revo61 is offline  
Old 02-02-2010, 07:01 PM
  #715  
Tech Fanatic
 
irgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 893
Default

Originally Posted by revo61 View Post
They are 2 different motors. The race spec came out year or so after the first Vortex.
i don't really care about those 2 diffrent motor,
the sensored Team Orion Vortex is Delta.

What Funny thing is That,
Team Orion Vortex race spec ESC is noted Star Winding only.

irgo is offline  
Old 02-02-2010, 07:34 PM
  #716  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 93
Default

Originally Posted by irgo View Post
What Funny thing is That,
Team Orion Vortex race spec ESC is noted Star Winding only.
why is that funny? what is the problem with the star winding only??
krat is offline  
Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 PM
  #717  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (7)
 
xray09ACT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 280
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

HI Guys
Just found this Thread running about 15 pages back in the forums.

Considering these motors are around and its 3rd qtr 2010 surely people are running these in stock and super stock.

What are peoples thoughts on the motors and what are your setups?

I am running a 17.5 2010 pro stock and I am having difficulty with temps compared to the spv3 motor.
xray09ACT is offline  
Old 09-22-2010, 03:19 AM
  #718  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,310
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by xray09ACT View Post
HI Guys
Just found this Thread running about 15 pages back in the forums.

Considering these motors are around and its 3rd qtr 2010 surely people are running these in stock and super stock.

What are peoples thoughts on the motors and what are your setups?

I am running a 17.5 2010 pro stock and I am having difficulty with temps compared to the spv3 motor.
You will compared to a SPv3, its the coldest running motor I know of (that goes fast). The Orion will have more bottom end and possibly a fraction less top end give or take your setup. Just set it up for the best lap times and you will find that the temps are fine as it can handle a bit of heat (more than the infamous Duo's at the very least).
Dragonfire is offline  
Old 05-26-2011, 09:59 PM
  #719  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (85)
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,773
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default Orion service

I can't seen to find an Orion service contact. I have a 17.5 Vortex that shorted it's winding after a pretty short life. I was geared conservatively and no boost. It was running very well and quit instantly running down a short stretch. I'd like to send it in to see if the stator can be replaced. Does anyone know who I can contact?
Davidka is offline  
Old 05-27-2011, 03:46 PM
  #720  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (26)
 
encore75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SnoHoCo, WA
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
I can't seen to find an Orion service contact. I have a 17.5 Vortex that shorted it's winding after a pretty short life. I was geared conservatively and no boost. It was running very well and quit instantly running down a short stretch. I'd like to send it in to see if the stator can be replaced. Does anyone know who I can contact?
I don't know for sure, but perhaps you can contact Kyosho America or Horizon Hobby for assistance?

You could also try asking for help on the Team Orion facebook page
encore75 is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.