Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Core RC 5000mah Lipos...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Tech Regular

Nexus,

The ICE does not show an estimation of charge % remaining, BUT - the Cellpro gets that figure from the starting resting voltage of the pack, so with some "seat of the pants" experience, you can do the same extrapolation.

Charge rate:
One of the many cool things about lipo is the fact that charge rate has absolutely zero to do with output performance (voltage under load). One amp, two amp or 5 amp charge rate, the performance and runtime is always the same - it just takes a bit longer to charge with a lower charge rate.

Shawn
Old 09-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

GlassDR:
HEY HEY! Awesome to be posting with you again! I've scoped that thread, and I feel for the boys at SMC and sincerely wish them the best. They certainly have had the best NiMH cells for a while and I applaud them for jumping into the Lipo pool. Luckily, I've got a decade of lipo application knowlege on my side, so I'll be just fine here. :-)

It's a tough time in the hobby industry right now for everyone but the average Joe user. Basically everything us long-term hobbyists have grown up on and known forever (and possibly started a business to support) is turning upside down almost overnight. Its adapt or die time right now and everyone on the business side is doing the best they can. Its incredibly tough to talk to folks who actually know (or think they actually know) your product better than you do. Those of us who've been brushless and lipo for years present a huge marketing challenge to companies that are just now getting into it. I think it's an awesome time in the industry as well, because there is a ton of rhetoric and just plain bullcrap that has been fed to the car side of the RC hobby that's finally being seen for what it was all those years. And here's an interesting tidbit of info: Our new Technical Sales guy Adam was talking to a new track owner that was considering allowing ONLY brushless and Lipo at his track for reasons of reducing the costs of getting into racing, and maintaining equaly competitive classes. How's THAT for turning the tables toward the future!

As for Schumacher's own large scale BL combo - no comment just yet... :-)

Shawn
Old 09-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ha ha... then how about giving us the skinny on the new 4wd car? (offroad of course... lol)

Good to see you are still pimping the BL stuff... I'll keep my eye on Shuey.

I got lipos and brushless stock running at my local track. The handwriting is on the wall for much of what we've been doing for the last 20 years in this hobby.

SMC selling lipos and Traxxas selling RTR BL, etc... it's a new day.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Shawn,
Congrats on your new job and welcome aboard!
Old 09-30-2007, 07:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Shawn
First, were you at RC Madness a few years back for the (first?) 1/18th Nationals when you were with CC? For some reason my mind keeps insisting that I met you that day.

Second, I have to say that personally I like the way you come across in your posts and there's obviously a source of good lipo info here. You'll get no flack from me.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:20 AM
Tech Regular

Good to hear from you again Linger! Thanks!

Kuzo,
Yes, I made the first few 18th Nats at Madness for CC.
Thanks for the kind words!

Shawn
Old 10-01-2007, 07:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shawn Palmer
I personally LOVE the Cellpro charger, especially for folks just getting into lipo. It's litterally plug in the pack and walk away. No user error, provides Mah and voltage info, and as above, gives you an estimation of capacity left in the pack. BUT, the one downside of using it with any pack other than those specifically made for it, is that the balancing lead wires are almost always WAY too small to safely accept the Cellpro's 5+ amp charge rate. I personally would have to do a couple of test charges on empty packs with one before I'd be comfortable with that practice. It might be just fine, but I'd have to see it for myself first before I could tell anyone it would be OK for anything other than the FMA packs.
Shawn
Let me know if you are able to do this or find out anything. Looking to purchase a Lipo charger and Core 5000 soon.

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

Great source of info about the CORE lipo packs here:

http://www.secureonlineshopping.biz/...&pagewidth=550

Shawn
Old 10-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Can anyone clarify the type of balance plug/tap it has on it?

Align/Greatplanes/hextronics balance taps is what someone who saw the picture thought it was...
Old 10-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Shawn...will you be coming to Chicago for the IHOBBYEXPO? If so, Nexus and I will stop by and need to talk more about the CORE and the Mi3...thanks.

And I must discharge my LIPO down to 80% or so.........I thought LIPO can store fully charged when storing...guess one more thing to learn and remember for LIPO.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

Booth 1512 at IHobby Expo!
Myself and Robin will be there all week, and Adam will be there Sat and Sun.

We'll have a sample CORE pack, and I'll be running my own CORE pack in my Speed Passion brushless powered Mi3 on the demo track at 11:20AM (and maybe more slots) all four days.

Come on down and touch it, heft it, fit it, and watch it run!

I'll have to look around at the show (cheating) and see if I can find the match for the balance plug. Still haven't had a chance to dig into that yet.

Shawn
Old 10-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shawn Palmer
Booth 1512 at IHobby Expo!
Myself and Robin will be there all week, and Adam will be there Sat and Sun.

We'll have a sample CORE pack, and I'll be running my own CORE pack in my Speed Passion brushless powered Mi3 on the demo track at 11:20AM (and maybe more slots) all four days.

Come on down and touch it, heft it, fit it, and watch it run!

I'll have to look around at the show (cheating) and see if I can find the match for the balance plug. Still haven't had a chance to dig into that yet.

Shawn
Sure do....we will be there Friday, may be we should bring our Mi3s and run at the demo track as well, see you and Robin there.............
Old 10-26-2007, 07:15 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Wanted to let everyone know the Core LiPo's are back in stock and ready to ship!
Old 10-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abailey21
Wanted to let everyone know the Core LiPo's are back in stock and ready to ship!

Cool!

Wes

Last edited by redlion; 03-04-2008 at 02:05 PM. Reason: changed something
Old 10-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I cant wait to try my Core Lipo out in my type R. I have been running it in my B4 and i love it. There is nothing like getting 20 minutes with a 5.5 in a buggy. now i want to try it in TC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.