Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Agree or Disagree? - "club racing is now cheaper than it has ever been"

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 12:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Im 16, wanted to get into RC, got a job, got the basic stuff to keep me going, went alright, upgrading more and more, now it seems i just work to support my hobby hahaha, but the fun u have doing it is definately worth it imo. I cant think of anything as fun as it.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Yes in the long run its more affordable.
Each individual will spend what they can afford.
Some will go broke and some will never get enough.
Some will race on a budget some wont.
To race competitively in a sole effort to win its very pricey. Start up will drain the wallet.
To solely race start up is much more affordable.
It depends on how much RC racing gets embedded in the heart and soul.
Some Love it others just like it.

When it comes to afford ability brushless lipo is a great alternative.
And great for the already racer.

RTR is the best short cut for getting into racing.
I would guess over the years we will see more competitive RTR's. With winning more in mind than just racing as a starting point.

Sowing up to win is pricey.
Showing up to race is as cheap as you want it to be.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Tech Adept

All my cars were once a rtr, I slowly upgraded each car until they became great racing cars. This way you are able to upgrade your car as fast or as slowly as you like, and in the mean time you can still have fun with your rtr rather then waiting until you have saved for a more expensive car. However it has to be said in the long run buying a high end spec car is cheaper then buying the same car but in the rtr version and upgrading it!

Kev
Old 05-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k£v!n
All my cars were once a rtr, I slowly upgraded each car until they became great racing cars. This way you are able to upgrade your car as fast or as slowly as you like, and in the mean time you can still have fun with your rtr rather then waiting until you have saved for a more expensive car. However it has to be said in the long run buying a high end spec car is cheaper then buying the same car but in the rtr version and upgrading it!

Kev
Start up is the killer. HUH?
It would be nice to maybe see a RTR Type-R.
I'm talking RTR factory edition.
With maybe some Novak sport esc brushless backed up with some JR radio equipment.
Made in the shade.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah, some company's have done this I think, didn't AE make a racing class rtr b4?
Old 05-27-2007, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

No, they just took a B4 spec'd below team and stuck a hotter motor, ESC, and paintjob on it and called it "Race Spec".
Old 05-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Right ok, in a way its better then the rtr for people who want to start up racing don't you think?
Old 05-27-2007, 09:45 PM

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you know of cost saving measures pass them on to your fellow club racers to help them keep costs down.

Sedan Wheels can be bought in 8 packs from Ofna for 8.59. That is just a little over a buck a wheel. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHTA8&P=7

Things that that can help keep your tires and wheel combination costs down.

C
Old 05-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not knowing how deep into this hobby I will end up, I just got a Team Associated 18R for my first on-road car....I will get used to driving it stock, but will be getting a brushless for the lower maintenance factor, and some minor upgrades....I am not going to make this a 50mph car as this wasn't built for that, but I saw a couple of guys with close to stock performance brushless motors....they are about 30mph....and they were staying on the butts of a couple of guys with 1/10 scale sedans.

Will I move up to 1/10? Maybe, but I am looking to get another 18R or a Recoil so my 10 yr old daughter can race with me. She is wanting to get started, so, one for her and one for me....am I wrong on my version of getting started?
Old 05-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SWTour
part of the deal that I see that drives 'club racing' prices up are 'better than club racers' pushing the cars limits for every race.

club racers don't usually race that hard...they are they for a little competition and a good time...but the 'hot dogs' feel EVERY race should be run like it's a WORLD championship...and this has a tendency to KILL the 'fun' attitude of a local event, and WILL keep alot of local club racers from coming back due to the high cost to try to run with these guys.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Phroz
IB4200's are a killer for club racing.. the cost of maintainence and replacement is killing the numbers at my track.. even though its only club level the guys with the $$ are dominating. The little guys with the stick packs and budget setups are going home disapointed every week and more and more just dont come back. We tryed having Mod and stock classes but the "hot shots" just show up with high end chassis, IB4200's and hard tuned 27t stock motors..

I guess some people get a kick out of showing off or beating guys that dont have a chance against them.. kinda sad in my opinion..