Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another "What should I get?" Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 05:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by or8ital
How can people recommend cars that arent even out? The owner of my local hobby shop said April.
Because they don't know any better. The TA05R can be recommended because it's a standard TA05 with many of the hop-ups people do anyway but as for the TC5...no idea. I think it's called 'bench racing'. They base the opinion on pictures and what they've read rather than experience with it.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:24 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Any car Tc3 Tc4 Tc5 will do. Parts availability, best price at the counter, if parts are not in stock the next closest shop or track will likely have them.
And if thats not enough? The spring loaded diff lasts loner than any other.
All the way up to mod conditions. As far as looking to see if A car is good.
Well its an associated.
You get what you pay for.
TC5 build it run it.
Ta05 It sounds like build it run it, hop it up. And your pit box is full again.
Why do I keep trying to sell stuff? I dont work for any of these poeple.
Heck I run an FK05.
But trust me Associated is the next. For at least a test drive.
Be sure and let us know what you buy?
Old 02-08-2007, 06:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Isn't the T2R based on a car that was replaced less than a year after it was released? Hopefully they upgrade it to a T2'007R soon.

The TA05 seems like it's a great car. I still think local parts availability outweighs the cool factor, though. I'd vote for a TC3 or TC4 if you're just getting started. You don't have to dump a lot of money into parts to keep on hand, and the cars can be had cheap enough that you can get something else when the time is right. Maybe race a TC3/4 for a while, only buy the spares when you need them (from your shop) and look into getting a TC5 or something when your skills and familiarity with sedans improves. You'll have a much better idea of what you want in a car after you run one for a while.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Tech Lord

T2R will have the best resale value to.
One thing good about, TA05, T2R. Is chassis flex. If you hit some thing either one will better return to zero than to tweek.
TC5 looks like they are trying to put carpet in to a rubber car?
The TC4 looks like a rubber car. With the optional carbon chassis for carpet.
Are you cross eyed yet?
I'm guessing your not new to R/C?
Old 02-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
T2R will have the best resale value to.
One thing good about, TA05, T2R. Is chassis flex. If you hit some thing either one will better return to zero than to tweek.
TC5 looks like they are trying to put carpet in to a rubber car?
The TC4 looks like a rubber car. With the optional carbon chassis for carpet.
Are you cross eyed yet?
I'm guessing your not new to R/C?
If he's doing parking lot racing on rubber tires, a little chassis flex might be a good thing.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:29 AM
Tech Lord

My thoughts exactly.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Now everybody always talks about parts support but almost every LHS can order Tamiya stuff and if enough people are running them and requesting parts...you'll notice that your LHS will suddenly start carrying parts. The only reason most don't now is because people keep getting told that they have to get what their LHS carries (for parts availability) but thats backwards. The LHS should carry parts for what most people use not sell people what they have the most parts for already. At our local track/pro shop since we've started racing the Tamiya M03 Minis there has been a lot of people asking about them and now they are going to order a couple kits on top of the kits that people are ordering. Now I don't expect every LHS to carry parts for every car out there...the shop would be HUGE but they have to take care of their customers and if the customers would buy what they like instead of buying what they are told they have to get then shops would probably stock different stuff. So in closing...get what you like.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:16 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

When it comes to choosing a car I always tell everyone get the one you like. Ultimately you will be the one running the car and you have to like your car first before you ever have to worry about making it handle. To be honest parts is not much of an issue as you can order what you need and have it in a few days from all the top companies.

Any of the top cars are a good choice and if your not buying new then you can find a ton of top cars that are tricked out for 1/2 the cost in alot of cases.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

again, thanks for the responses. no, i am not new to RC or racing for that matter. i race 1/8 off-road and MT heavily, and i used to run on-road a couple years ago. i had an NTC3 that i raced pretty competitively in the novice class and did pretty well, and i raced an HPI Sprint (yuck) in the 1/10 EP class more for fun. so, now that my LHS is going to start some on-road parking lot racing, i thought it would be nice to get back into on-road, EP especially since my 1/8 are costing me enough already.
i went to my LHS today to ask a few more questions. they said they don't stock Tamiya parts on shelf, but will order parts that you usually go through and stock those. they have TC4 parts on hand at all times, and they stock some HPI/HB parts (probably not touring parts though).

When it comes to choosing a car I always tell everyone get the one you like. Ultimately you will be the one running the car and you have to like your car first before you ever have to worry about making it handle. To be honest parts is not much of an issue as you can order what you need and have it in a few days from all the top companies.
yes, that is a great point. i have often fallen into the trap of buying the kit that most people run in hopes that it would perform for me and that i would like it too, but that's not always the case. i like the looksof a lot of cars, particularly the "luxury" T2R and the TC4. i do not particularly like the "cheap" look of most Tamiya kits and the Cyclone S (this is opinionated, not generalized). disregarding the "radioshack" look of these two kits, no one can deny that looks can be deceiving because they truly perform well for their look.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

My vote is T2R. All T2 bits are compatible and you can also upgrade it to a T2007. Most racers at my club run T2's, T2R's, & FK05's (all Xray).
The T2R is a better car (than Ta05) and excellent value for money. The only downside is parts can be expensive.You would have to spend too much money to get a TA05 to the same standard as a TA05.

Find out what the guys at your club are running and buy something similar. At least you can compare setups and if you break something, someone might be able to lone you parts.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

T2R. Just can't beat a seXray.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

TBH i don't know what most people will be running at my track this year, because it will be the first year they are racing! the T2R does look like a good deal, and it has a lot of innovative features on it that are appealing to me. however, even though the TC4 is about to be replaced by the 5, it has great parts support at my LHS and the parts are fairly cheap at that.

but again, whether or not i will be needing parts that often depends on how durable the car is. if i were to choose a car that breaks a lot of parts often i should probably make sure my LHS stocks that brand's parts. nevertheless, i am an experienced driver and will be in the stock class, where ridiculous speed is not achievable.

my top three choices are as follows (not in order):
T2R
TC4
TA-05
Old 02-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

TC4 looking pretty enticing now.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Tech Lord

I'd say that TC4 plastic chassis would be an awesome choice.
Even the factory carbon without the stiffener in the middle.
A car with a little flex in the chassis is what I wood lean towards.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you are only running stock the JRXS has a good asphalt setup for it and you already said they stock parts for it. You can get a used one for a decent price and just start from there if the NIB price is too much. You may even want to ask your shop if they would be willing to deal on the kit that is in stock as well. The new car will hopefully be out next month and they may not want that still sitting there since they may want to get the Type R in for sale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.