Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
LIPO Balancers , write your knowledge here ! >

LIPO Balancers , write your knowledge here !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LIPO Balancers , write your knowledge here !

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Tech Adept

Default LIPO Balancers , write your knowledge here !

hi , i want to get a full lipo set up ,i already have an ICE and CELL MASTER chargers that use for my NIMH packs, so im going for maxamps 2S2P 8000 mah batteries , novak voltage cut off, but have almost no idea about balancers, how they work , what diferent types are , conectors ...

i heard that they are ones to connect as interface during charge and i gues what they do is to stop charguing a cell when it is completly full, so the other cell with continue charging till end

then there are others working after charge, so i gues they take some amps of the most loaded cell till voltages are exactly the same

is that right? , which one should i get?

i also read somewhere that packs conected in Paralell works like a single cell: they balance themselves automatically , so to balance a 2S2P pack you just need to do like in a 2S pack , is this correct?

im sure i am missing some important stuff so please let me know what you know
Old 02-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you really want to learn, you'll end up at rcgroups.com 's Batteries & Chargers forum.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

The equinox is one of the balancers that will balance the battery during the charge. Basically it charges up to lowest cell then maintains the balance through the charge. Also, with the optional high power connector set it can handle a charge at up to 6amps.

http://www.electrifly.com/chargers/gpmm3160.html
Old 02-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Basically you are correct about balancers... most you can either "charge" balance, which brings the lower cell equal to the higher cell while charging or "discharge" balance which brings the upper cell down to the lower cell. With the size of battery you are getting you will be charging at 8 amps (1C) so normally in that case with a lot of balancers you will need a some special wires to hook up to balance charge at that rate. My advice as far as balancers is don't spend a ton of money on a balancer. Just get one to do a balance discharge. As you read around you will find that guy rarely need them because their packs are rarely if ever out of balance. I ran my MaxAmps 6000 for about 6 months before myself and 3 other racers split the cost of a balancer. We all plugged in the balancer and not a single pack was out of balance. Pretty cool. Be careful of the taps though.. make sure you get a balancer that matches the tap on the battery.

As far as the parallel question you are correct. A 2S and a 2S2P both work as if there is only 2 cells. In the case of a 2S there is only 2 cells where there are 4 in a 2S2P but it acts like 2.

I haven't looked at the forum adamge mentioned (I'll have to check it out) but I do know if you look here at the Orion platinum threads there is a lot of info there. Or just ask away here and I'm sure someone will answer.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Also since you are thinking about MaxAmps here's a thread. http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...hlight=maxamps There's been a little talk about balancers and I think maxamps was going to start monitoring the thread if there were questions.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Padaily. Any recommendations on a charger with the balancer built in?
Old 02-02-2007, 04:13 AM
Tech Adept

thanks guys i will keep an eye on maxamps thread and rcgroups forum
Old 02-02-2007, 05:03 AM
Tech Adept

well thanks to adamge , i found this awesome article about balancing

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599287

everyone interested in balancing should read this
Old 02-02-2007, 06:21 AM
Tech Regular

does anyone use the high power plugs for the equinox?
Old 02-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Padaily. Any recommendations on a charger with the balancer built in?
Sorry I don't. I have an ICE and it charges awesome so I haven't looked for one. Best bet for finding one is to look at chargers geared towards the flight crowd. I may get another charger (Triton Jr or Orions Advance Flight Charger) for a backup for when I run multiple classes. My packs have NEVER been out of balance so I personally will not look for a charger with a balancing feature since I have a balancer which sits in a box. Once a month I plug it in and the green light comes on and it says its balanced. Back in the box it goes till next month.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's another article:
http://www.rctoys.com/pr/2006/12/21/...-balance-tips/
and I wrote it ;>
Old 02-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Probably a good idea to balance every time. Geez it only takes a sec to check it out. I'll have to start doing that.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

What's better balancing fater charging, or using the balancer in interface mode?
Old 02-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Tech Addict

Here an explanation on how our balancer works at the bottom of the page:

http://www.teamorion-avionics.com/Ce...lancing+System

Also here is a diagram how to wire it when using high capcity cells (3000mAh+)
Attached Thumbnails LIPO Balancers , write your knowledge here !-balancinginstr.jpg  
Old 02-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Regular

The orion balancer looks a lot like the electrifly. is the wiring for it the same?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.