Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya F103GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Default Tamiya F103GT

does anyone own a tamiya F103GT? it seems pretty neat. not quite F1 but close. kind of like a mix between tc, F1, and 12th scale. im thinking of ordering one, but wanted to know if it will handle like a tc? if it wont keep up with a 4wd, then i dont want one, but if it will it might be somethign im goign to look into.

heres a link to it.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58367
Old 01-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Tech Champion

It's basically a pan car using TC wheels and tires. Given that it is direct drive and not 4wd it will NOT handle like a TC. As for keeping up with a TC that all depends on the conditions...there are some cases where it will be faster and others where it will be slower. Pan cars have the advantage of being much lighter and have less parasitic drag in the drive train. This makes them quite fast overall...however they don't have as much weight on the tires and a less compliant suspension so it's a bit harder to get grip. When grip is good and the track layout is smallish either car can compete fairly evenly. Good grip and large track is going to favor the lighter pan car. Poor grip reguardless of the track size is going to favor the 4wd. If you are just going to be playing around in the street, chances are that conditions are going to favor the 4wd more. If you plan on doing some serious competitive racing then typically the 2 cars run in different classes and wouldn't be competing against each other.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Tech Champion

Just noticed your sig...if your looking at it from a drifting point of view don't even think about the F103GT...pan cars do not drift well...hell they don't even drift poorly.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Tech Regular

I have the f103 courage, and also have touring cars.
the f 103 will require a light touch on the steering and throttle control.
as opposed to the 4wd touring car were you can pretty much toss the car into a turn w/o braking and power out.

It is a great car for enhancing your driver skills. for example, I usually use three fingertips to lightly control the steering. you don't want to yank the throttle.

It also takes some diff/chassis and tire tuning to get it to handle.

they are tons of fun once you get it together.

I prefer pan cars over touring cars, so helped me make my decision to purchase one.

Have fun.
wn
Old 01-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Tech Champion

I agree...pan cars are my favorite cars to drive
Old 01-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

im nto looking at this from a drifting point of view. i am looking strictly at drivign and racing. i want the realistic control which i think this will give with rubber tires and lots of power to the rear wheels. i race street cars in real life too and want somethign that will eb like an actualy street car. light, fast, and grip isnt always available so it takes more control and skill. i like that feel.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Tech Champion

Well to be honest to get that kind of realism it's a lot closer going with an off the shelf car like a Nikko. The reason being is hobby grade RC cars have a much much larger power to weight ratio then a real car does. Pan cars do take a certain finesse to drive but when they get out of control that's pretty much all she wrote. You really can't get a pan car loose and expect to catch it because the back end snaps around so fast and so much more of the weight is concentrated there increasing it's momentum.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

trust me i understand. i race off-road and on-road. and i know how much more power these have than a real car to its weight. but i like the way 2wd cars drive. off and on-road
Old 01-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Tech Champion

Then you will probably love pan cars just as I do
Old 01-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

you might enjoy check out this thread regarding the F103GT...773 posts and counting!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...38#post2938838