Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3 >

Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3

Like Tree4Likes

Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3

Old 09-13-2004, 08:04 AM
  #12646  
Tech Adept
 
stjerno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denmark
Posts: 239
Default

Originally posted by raving-monkey
i got my cuda last week and built it over the weekend....apart from not being able to read japenese i thought it went together pretty well...although i am a little bit dissapointed that the steering is only got bushes but i will be getting bearings for that shortly.

just got to paint my shell and glue the tyres and its ready to go



it certainly looks like a good car, lets just see if its true when it hits the track
Hi Matt,

If you set it up as described in the manual, you will find a very easy to drive car that is as stable and forgiving as any car out there. Happy racing and don't worry .. You'r going to love it

Last edited by stjerno; 09-13-2004 at 08:28 AM.
stjerno is offline  
Old 09-13-2004, 08:05 AM
  #12647  
wyd
Tech Legend
iTrader: (51)
 
wyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Castle Mamba Max Pro. Feel its power!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 21,220
Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by raving-monkey
i got my cuda last week and built it over the weekend....apart from not being able to read japenese i thought it went together pretty well...although i am a little bit dissapointed that the steering is only got bushes but i will be getting bearings for that shortly.

just got to paint my shell and glue the tyres and its ready to go



it certainly looks like a good car, lets just see if its true when it hits the track
I'm sure with a little setup time you will find that the car is as fast as any of the good cars out on the market.

The directions are ok but at least they have pics so that takes care of most any problem.
wyd is offline  
Old 09-13-2004, 08:27 AM
  #12648  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (42)
 
John Tag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 8,925
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

WYD
John Tag is offline  
Old 09-13-2004, 08:30 AM
  #12649  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10
Default HELP

Hi Guy's, hope someone can help?
I built the R3s 6 weeks ago, and have run it every weekend since.
I still can't get the car to handle at all, it is totally un predictable and at every track we have been to ( a different one every week, doing BRCA National and TORC series here in the UK) the car will take every corner different each lap, swerve violently on the straights under power, and spin the back end round on any fast sweeper, but not on every lap???
I have changed almost every thing on the car, diffs, suspension arms, shocks, gear sets, shells, motors, speedo (now we are grasping at straws), wheels, tyres, chassis and almost every single screw!!!!
Is there a secert to the build which I have missed? is it just a bad car? is it just a faulty one?
The car has never been right from day one, and after four years of competitve racing I have never come across anything like it!
Any help would be much appreciated, a pm would be great.
anton is offline  
Old 09-13-2004, 08:38 AM
  #12650  
OVA
Tech Champion
iTrader: (84)
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 9,669
Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by Herminator
That red R2 Xenon looks sweet
In some ways it's nicer than my blue version

Well I'm back from racing in the Cumbria GP....
Not that many people turned up, must be since it's the end of the outdoor season and the weather was a little wet and cold
There was still some serious competition at the top end though, the fastest guy all day was a local to the Carlisle track who's been one of the fastest there for quite some time now, despite having a year off last year.
The next five, me included, were all squabling for positions behind him, I think 3rd to 6th was covered by about 3 seconds at the end of qualifying. I was 6th unfortunatly, even though it was my fastest ever 5 minute run there 18 laps 307 seconds, last year everyone was struggling to break the 18 lap barrier... the guy one pole did 19laps 314seconds, modifieds only do 19 laps on a good day
The tarmac there seems very strange, it's often faster when colder, you just have to have the right tyres on, but it can be quite hard on tyres that are supposed to be in the right temperature range.

I spent the day racing steadily and fine tuning my setup, by the final it was pretty well sorted, definetly a setup I'll be noting down.

Started 6th on the grid and at the first corner at the end of the straight I got by the two cars ahead as they half spun. Was on 3rd places back bumper for the next lap then he clipped a curb and grip rolled. Then I was a few meters behind 2nd, I couldn't believe my luck. A couple laps later and he make a mistake and flew over a curb so I was gifted another position. The pole sitter had already opened up a small lead and with the pace he has all day there was no way I'd catch him. I just had to hold on to my position, there were three cars all very close to each other about 2 seconds behind me and they were all busy racing each other. I couldn't afford to back off but managed to hold the gap behind me until the end, fealt like a long 4 minutes though

Here's one of the nicest trophy's I've ever won

Hi herminator
Good job and nice trophy
R U runing R2 or R3?
I need some up dated set up for my R2 xenon stage 3
thanks Franko
PS our track is very high traction..I can can wear the take off 27 in one day race,no kiddin
OVA is offline  
Old 09-13-2004, 08:44 AM
  #12651  
Tech Elite
 
GTO2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Don't Blink !!
Posts: 2,264
Default

anton:
that doesn't sound right at all, even with all stock parts.
Instead of changing all the parts, I would try get the tyre+insert correct (that should be 50% of total setup-i believe) and the suspension system (spring + shock oil wt).
Depending what kind of track you're running at of course.

A normal stock R3 should be super stable, off power cornering is moderate, on power will be understeer. At least that is what i experienced.
GTO2 is offline  
Old 09-13-2004, 08:49 AM
  #12652  
wyd
Tech Legend
iTrader: (51)
 
wyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Castle Mamba Max Pro. Feel its power!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 21,220
Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by John Tag
WYD
Thank!!!!!!!
wyd is offline  
Old 09-13-2004, 09:20 AM
  #12653  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10
Default

Hi, thanks for the reply, but the car was run straight out the box when I first got it and it was shocking. At a track (indoor tarmac) were my son has held the track record for nearly 2 years. I am sure we have now tried every combination of tyre and insert we have ever run and not one of them helps the problem?
anton is offline  
Old 09-13-2004, 09:29 AM
  #12654  
Tech Elite
 
Herminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: England
Posts: 2,280
Default

Originally posted by OVA
Hi herminator
Good job and nice trophy
R U runing R2 or R3?
I need some up dated set up for my R2 xenon stage 3
thanks Franko
PS our track is very high traction..I can can wear the take off 27 in one day race,no kiddin
Thanks, it's a Xenon R2 I run, you should of seen that from the pic

I'll put the car on the setup system soon and note down the complete setup. By the final it was the best I've had the car working for one specific track. My setup is usualy 90% there, this fealt more like 95%
Herminator is offline  
Old 09-13-2004, 10:00 AM
  #12655  
Tech Elite
 
Herminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: England
Posts: 2,280
Default

Originally posted by anton
Hi, thanks for the reply, but the car was run straight out the box when I first got it and it was shocking. At a track (indoor tarmac) were my son has held the track record for nearly 2 years. I am sure we have now tried every combination of tyre and insert we have ever run and not one of them helps the problem?
Your problem sounds very strange, the kit setups for the Cuda are very stable usualy. Partly thanks to the loads of rear toe in.
You sound like you atleast know what you're doing so there's not much I can think of setup wise. Unless maybe there's some problem in the shocks, maybe not bled enough? If I were you I'd get rid of the bleed screw caps and get Yokomo bladder caps, much easier to build and they look nicer too

Are you sure something isn't majorly tweaked? or if you're running the one way maybe a bearing is damaged.
Have you completely stripped the car down and rebuilt it since the first build?

Whenever my car has been unpredictable I've found a couple of loose screws on the bottom chassis, usualy a loose suspension arm, once the front bulkhead was barely attached
On that note, could you have cracked one of the suspension arms around the large pivot ball when fitting it? may not be easy to see but it's also not a problem usualy with the stock arms. The harder material versions need heating slightly with a hair drier before installing the pillow balls.

High speed spinning out would make me look for something very loose or a bearing thats gone.

It's kind of difficult to pinpoint the problem since we can't see the car in person. Where abouts are you?
Herminator is offline  
Old 09-13-2004, 11:00 AM
  #12656  
OVA
Tech Champion
iTrader: (84)
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 9,669
Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)
Default

Anybody know if the barracuda coming out with a belt drive? or just up graded R3?
OVA is offline  
Old 09-13-2004, 01:40 PM
  #12657  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Eddie M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 223
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
First time poster to this tread :)

Hi guys, I am putting a R3 together and I find that the A arms (I have the harder optional arms) will bind when I tighten the pivot ball down on the chassis! What would you guys do to solve this probelm? I've try to use a heat gun on the arms but It doesn't seems to help.

Eddie M is offline  
Old 09-13-2004, 02:46 PM
  #12658  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (27)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 679
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Re: HELP

Originally posted by anton
Hi Guy's, hope someone can help?
I built the R3s 6 weeks ago, and have run it every weekend since.
I still can't get the car to handle at all, it is totally un predictable and at every track we have been to ( a different one every week, doing BRCA National and TORC series here in the UK) the car will take every corner different each lap, swerve violently on the straights under power, and spin the back end round on any fast sweeper, but not on every lap???
I have changed almost every thing on the car, diffs, suspension arms, shocks, gear sets, shells, motors, speedo (now we are grasping at straws), wheels, tyres, chassis and almost every single screw!!!!
Is there a secert to the build which I have missed? is it just a bad car? is it just a faulty one?
The car has never been right from day one, and after four years of competitve racing I have never come across anything like it!
Any help would be much appreciated, a pm would be great.
Hi Anton,
I'm surely no expert on this car as i've only had it for the last week or two but i had exactly the same problem the first couple of times i ran the car. it was exactly how you described...swerves unexpectedely, every corner felt different...like the car was totally tweaked
The problem that i found with my car is that the rear knuckle fit onto the sus arm was really binding bad as well as the sus pin that holds the rear knuckle was very tight. i had to drill out the hole with a 3mm drill bit and file away the sus arm so that the knuckle would 'just' slide in. this totally cured my problem and am very happy now
hope this helps
poop is offline  
Old 09-13-2004, 04:04 PM
  #12659  
Tech Regular
 
Gazza_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bath, England
Posts: 327
Default

Hi Anton
if you are at the BTCC Ashby or BRCA stock at Bedworth try and find the rest of us Cuda guys, there are quite a few of us running the car, we may be able to see something fairly simple that could help. We could at least suggest something once we see the problem first hand.

Jimmy, Gavin, Adam, Patrick and myself will definately be at the BRCA round, I believe Jimmy will be at Ashby with me for the BTCC. Come over and say hi, we might be able to help in other ways too
Gazza_D is offline  
Old 09-14-2004, 12:01 AM
  #12660  
Tech Fanatic
 
rcsabah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: TQ around de World
Posts: 996
Default

EDDIE M
I DON'T HAVE THAT PROBLEM WITH THE COMPOSITE ARM. IT WORKS SMOOTHLY
rcsabah is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.