Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

All quiet in here again

I never thought I'd have so much trouble tracking down a set of TiR cvd's, or even normal Yoke SD cvd's. It looks like they don't even bother to sell a complete cvd unit for the standard yoke items, you have to buy two bones, two axles, two pin joints all seperate
All I want to do is go to a darn website, find Yoke SD cvd, select one pair and buy the darn things. Well actualy I want to get the TiR versions but none seem to have them Had to ask a trusty shop to try and order some for me and hopefully get them by this weekend.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by dhiracing.com
How can you increase the ackermann effect on the r2?
change the holes on the steering knuckles, although I'm not sure if it increases ackermann or reduces it.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

I changed from outer to inner holes of the steering knuckle and after setting the front toe as before, it seems no relevant increase or decrease in ackermann. Confused

One thing I noticed, is that you need less servo movement to make the wheels turn completely, but ackermann stayed the same, if I am not mistaken.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

How can you increase the ackermann effect on the r2?
inner hole reduce ackerman
Old 08-02-2004, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

I thought so ...

So outer hole on steering knuckle to have more ackermann. As regarding the linkage lengths, in the front we have three on the R2. Increasing or decreasing the length of the outer links or the center link, does it make any difference always keeping same front toe?
Old 08-02-2004, 08:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: part numbers?

Originally posted by poop
Thanks for clearing it up for me Dave
why would you use double bearing up front?
also, have you read the new issue of Xtreme rc cars? if not, they pitched the barracuda against tc3, yokomo and pro 4 and they all found that the barracuda doesn't have enough steering do you find this to be the case or just a bunch of crap?
Dave, seeing that you have an evo4, pro4, and obviously a lot more other high end cars, how do you rate the cuda against the others? are they not as fast and dont handle as great as other shaft cars? just to let you know, i am still getting one and haven't changed my mind!
We sent them the R3, and it could be because of the stock steering rack. However, I'm not sure if they move to the inner hole on the knuckle (which will give the steering more throw) the Pal rack is wider so it gives it more throw overall.

Steve Wang
Old 08-02-2004, 08:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

I thought so ...

So outer hole on steering knuckle to have more ackermann. As regarding the linkage lengths, in the front we have three on the R2. Increasing or decreasing the length of the outer links or the center link, does it make any difference always keeping same front toe?
the lenght of the links does affect the ackerman.. same center short less
Old 08-02-2004, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

you mean ... the shorter the outer (left or right) toe links the less ackerman you will have ... even if i increase the center link to keep the front toe constant?
Old 08-02-2004, 08:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

yes
Old 08-02-2004, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks man
Old 08-02-2004, 08:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

u welcome
Old 08-02-2004, 08:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

if u want more stering trim a bit on the c hub will increase about 10% stering
Old 08-02-2004, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

I was reading the following ...

Quote:
A large Ackermann angle gives you smooth, predictable steering. You'll be able to round the corners nicely without all four tires trying to force the car in a different direction. A smaller Ackermann angle on the other hand can give you more aggressive steering, especially entering the corners.

Is it true that smaller Ackermann gives aggressive steering?
Old 08-02-2004, 09:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

large or small ackerman does not give u smooth turn, only the right angle of the ackerman give u smooth turn cos turn right the right tyre turn at a smaller circle compare to left. too small or over ackerman will not give u smooth turn
Old 08-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Tech Regular

Let us assume that my car is bit aggressive going into corners and ackermann is very small, i.e. wheels stay almost parallel even when turning ... shall I try to increase or decrease ackermann to reduce steering and make my car more smooth?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.