Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 12:02 AM
Tech Elite

Good for you!
Old 04-17-2004, 01:26 AM
Tech Master

Alloy steering knuckles

Dose anyone make these for the R3 ??

I don't want the R2 ones they haven't got the inner mounting holes on them for the track rods (although i got 2sets of them if anyone wants to make me a sensible offer on them ??)

Steve since you obviously got a machinest/machine shop making you the spools any chance of seeing if they could knock up some alloy knuckle at a reasonable rate ??

Great car but the indoor track i race at is very hard on the cars and my first accident broke the steering knuckles and derlin diff output
Old 04-18-2004, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So is there any news or updates from the Alex camp? When the R2 first came out there was all this buzz... now there's barely a trickle of info.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

Maybe I should replace my R2 with a new R3. Then I would have something to talk about.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
So is there any news or updates from the Alex camp? When the R2 first came out there was all this buzz... now there's barely a trickle of info.
There's a new 3 deg castor block coming out (which we should receive on the next shipment) that would really help a lot of guys on the track. Also, I'm testing a few SpeedWay Pal parts as well and see what kind of handling characteristic it changes. These are not new parts, but just parts we haven't bring in from Pal before. So far, with these new parts, I'm able to pick up the pace of the car and over the weekend, I had some great result (3rd out of about 17 19T guys) finishing behind last year's Reedy Champion (1st) and A-main finalist (2nd) is pretty good for me

As for aluminum steering knuckles, Square once made them and Jet Hobby might still be making them, so I'll look into those two. It will not be cost effective to have our machinest make them unfortunately.

Steve Wang
Old 04-19-2004, 08:53 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Steve,

Any news about the locked diff/spool? I know that some drivers already tested it, but did not hear from you since.

Best regards,
Mark
Old 04-19-2004, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thanks for the update steve. i'm planning on picking up a R3 soon and would hate for support to slow to a trickle.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Steve

JET and SQUARE are making knuckles for the R2 i have a set of JET knuckles but they haven't got the inner turnbuckle mounting holes making them no good for the R3 as you cannot achieve a decent turning circle with out the inner mounting points
Old 04-19-2004, 07:52 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

rc monk That's funny
Old 04-20-2004, 12:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Help with building R3

I am just building my new R3 and need a little help. I am sure these answers are all somewhere in the thread but finding them will take up precious Barra building time.

1. I see that no servo horns come with the kit as standard and that the manual suggests a round type. I was wondering whether there was a part number for this or if there are any suggestions as to what I should use. I am about to put an order together from Speedtech, so it would make sense to add it to that order, if they have.

2. I am using a KO 2343 servo and I have installed a Speedway graphite shaft, because the shaft is so thick the servo does not fit on the chassis using the standard servo mounts. This is after cutting away one of the mounting holes on the servo. Has anybody else had this issue and if so, what did they do? I thought I could drill another hole in the servo mount but before doing that I thought I would ask if anybody knows if the servo mounts from a different manufacturer would work? I would really rather stick to using the Speedway shaft, but I do realise that going back to the standard shaft is an option.

Any help with these would be great as I am trying to have the car built for it's first race on Sunday.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2004, 12:21 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Help with building R3

Originally posted by Hudd
I am just building my new R3 and need a little help. I am sure these answers are all somewhere in the thread but finding them will take up precious Barra building time.

1. I see that no servo horns come with the kit as standard and that the manual suggests a round type. I was wondering whether there was a part number for this or if there are any suggestions as to what I should use. I am about to put an order together from Speedtech, so it would make sense to add it to that order, if they have.

2. I am using a KO 2343 servo and I have installed a Speedway graphite shaft, because the shaft is so thick the servo does not fit on the chassis using the standard servo mounts. This is after cutting away one of the mounting holes on the servo. Has anybody else had this issue and if so, what did they do? I thought I could drill another hole in the servo mount but before doing that I thought I would ask if anybody knows if the servo mounts from a different manufacturer would work? I would really rather stick to using the Speedway shaft, but I do realise that going back to the standard shaft is an option.

Any help with these would be great as I am trying to have the car built for it's first race on Sunday.

Thanks
Hi Hudd,

I would surgest that you use a servosaver and not a horn.
I'm using a standard robbe servosaver on my 2123 servo and it works fine.

Even with the stock shaft the space between the servo and the shaft is tight.. !

Happy racing sunday.

The wallbanger.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:38 AM
Tech Regular

Steve, Since you did so well over the weekend with those new parts, care to post your setup ? I assume this is an asphalt track.
Originally posted by SpeedTech
There's a new 3 deg castor block coming out (which we should receive on the next shipment) that would really help a lot of guys on the track. Also, I'm testing a few SpeedWay Pal parts as well and see what kind of handling characteristic it changes. These are not new parts, but just parts we haven't bring in from Pal before. So far, with these new parts, I'm able to pick up the pace of the car and over the weekend, I had some great result (3rd out of about 17 19T guys) finishing behind last year's Reedy Champion (1st) and A-main finalist (2nd) is pretty good for me

As for aluminum steering knuckles, Square once made them and Jet Hobby might still be making them, so I'll look into those two. It will not be cost effective to have our machinest make them unfortunately.

Steve Wang
Old 04-20-2004, 07:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Re: Help with building R3

Originally posted by Hudd

Thanks
Hudd

im using a ko propo 2143 servo on mine.. and the fit is very snug. im using the stock graphite shaft. i cut off the top servo mount on my servo and used a dremel to take off a little bit more of the plastic on the casing. hope that helps!
Old 04-20-2004, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

I would certainly go back to the kit R3 drive shaft. It's graphite and stronger than the Speedway PAL item, which is known for breaking with anything stronger than a stock motor and can even have problems with a stock. Usualy the graphite ends up turning inside the alloy end piece and needs regluing.
As for the servo make sure you get the outside servo mount on squarely and trim the other side as neatly as you can flush to the case. It's tight but done neatly I think practicly every servo should fit.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:53 PM
Tech Rookie

stjerno, Hebiki, Herminator

Thanks guys for your responses, looks like concensus is that I should return to kit shaft, which is what I will probably do.

With regards to Servo Saver/Horn. What is the recommendation? Does anybody have a part number or a manufacturer to look at?

All suggestions welcome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.