Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 01:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

mo,

We have access for Rayspeed parts through Yokomo USA. I'll have them as soon as they are available, you might want to check with Robert

Steve Wang
Old 04-30-2003, 01:11 PM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yeah, I talked to him today. I will hopefully get them on Friday. Hopefully the springs and pistons will be available soon. The springs are listed on the Yokomo Japan site.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Almost half way done assembling the car..

This is the first Yokomo I've ever assembled...I must say they did an excellent job, in the manual, parts bags, materials etc. Putting all the parts in one bag for each step of assembly couldn't have been easier. No looking for parts in different bags like some kits...like those purple kit cars..

Now I've got a complete set of SSG cars...the YRX-12WE, MR4TC-SP SSG, and now the SD.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:41 PM
Tech Adept

congrats Guys on getting your cars. can't wait to begin hearing more about actual race experience with the car, especially by previous SP owners/racers. also good to hear about the build issues. i am toying with making the choice to get the new car sooner than later, but like Joe (Malta) am just getting more comfortable with the SP SSG. the more testimonials the better!
Old 04-30-2003, 01:46 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Look for an "official" R/C Tech review of this car in the next few weeks.

Also, I am planning on doing a scientific shoot-out between the four major shaft-drive cars out there: TC3, Evo III, Barracuda R2, and SD, along with the XXX-S for comparison. I'll be looking at drivetrains, suspension dynamics, motor drag and a bunch of other stuff that may or may not prove to be interesting.

Let's just say that I got inspired after reading another one of those dismal comparison articles in RCCA, where they took three cars and had four guys turn laps with them, and try to "pick a winner." After reading the article, you still hadn't really learned anything, other than which of their four guys was the best driver.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:22 PM
Regional Moderator

Default Well.....

Well, I have emerged from my cocoon of kit building to bring news of my progress.

I'm done! Heres my impressions of the build and the finished kit:

-The manual was the best I have ever had to build a kit. Period! I only spotted one mistake.(I tells you to assemble (2) of the turnbuckles that go from the bellcrank to the servo. And of course we only need one. Other than that very, Very minor mistake, it was perfect. The pictures were excellent and the text was large enough to be legible!(at...em<clears throat>Unlike the Trinity ReflexNT manual with the micro text.)

-Man, I had no idea how thick the main chassis was! Those that are concerned about flex will be releaved to see this chassis.

-All the suspension arms, hubs and linkages went together without any binding.

-Had a problem with binding in the front diff case, but it seems to be okay as long as the case isn't cranked down to much.

-The car is frickin' quiet, even while being run on the car stand.

-The car is very well balanced. At least with the electronics package that I'm using

-I wasn't one of the people who 'hated' the battery brace, but I did think it looked out of place with so much shiny graphite and anodized aluminum around the car. BUT, it fits in just fine on the assembled car and it works very well.

-The "spur gear can be removed without taking off the upper deck" thing works well. With a little practice, it can be done in just over a minute.

-I have noticed NO binding in the bearing when I crank down the wheel nuts.

In a nut shell, the car is sweet!

And on a side note, this Novak GT7 is sweet! It has to be the smoothest speed control I've ever used. Its like the thing just glides from neutral to full throttle. Can't wait to try it on the track. Can't wait to try the car on the track!

Heres a pic of the finished car...
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR-4TC SD-sd.jpg  
Old 04-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Regional Moderator

And another....
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR-4TC SD-sd_2.jpg  
Old 04-30-2003, 02:24 PM
Regional Moderator

And finally....how I got the electronics mounted.
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR-4TC SD-sd_electronics.jpg  
Old 04-30-2003, 02:27 PM
Tech Champion

Great job Darkseid
I'll have mine done tonight.

Looks like a tight squeeze for the electronics... I've got a GT7 also.
I may have to do what Kilruf did and mount the servo sideways. I've also got a Futaba S9550 low prifile servo to use.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Wow! I had no idea that the GT-7 was that large. Oh well, there goes my idea of putting an XXtra in there also.

Nice car BTW.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:48 PM
Regional Moderator

rc zombies: THe key with the GT7 is finding the right place for the huge power cap. It may look like its a tight sqeeze with my setup, but its just the way the picture makes it look. THere was actually plenty of room left. Both between the motor and the GT7 and the GT7 and the servo. I ended up standing the cap up straight and servo taping and "gooing" it into place. This left me plenty of room to put the XXL on its side and the GT7 next to it and still have space to zip up the wires neatly. If I had really been pressed for space, I could have put my GM V12 on, but that never became neccesary.

I'm very pleased with the way it turn out with the electronics space. Like I said, its about the same amount of room I had on my Mission and STR-4pro. For an idea of how much space there is, I could have even stuck my huge Tekin G10 speedo AND XXtra reciever on there together if I had wanted to.

So theres definitely space to be had!
Old 04-30-2003, 02:51 PM
Regional Moderator

rob_b: Yeah, the GT7 isn't exactly competing in size with the M3 or Quantum! But, I actually test fitted my XXtra right in the same spot where I have the XXL, and it would have fit in there fine. I just decided to keep the XXtra for my ReflexNT.

But the XXtra will definitely fit on there with the GT7.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Darkseid
........For an idea of how much space there is, I could have even stuck my huge Tekin G10 speedo AND XXtra reciever on there together if I had wanted to.

So theres definitely space to be had!
Darkseid,
Thanks for verifying that, that is exactly the combo I will be using. You got me worried there for a second because looking at your pix it looks like a tight squeeze. I'm trying to avoid using the top deck for the electronics if I can.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:51 PM
Regional Moderator

Kenshin: as long as you don't mind standing the reciever up on its side(this is best anyway) then you will have plenty of room. Just stand the XXtra up on its side just like I did the XXL and put the G10 right next to it. With both of them going inline like this, they will fit between the motor and servo just fine.

for anyone else who is concerned by my pic.....

....two things to remember.

1. The angle of the pic is what is making things looked cramped. Under that umbrella of wires going from the GT7 to the motor, is extra space.

2. When I plan my electronics layout, I allocate room for a place to put my bundled wires down low. So I could have pushed the GT7 much farther forward and just put the bundled wires ontop of it. Instead, I put the GT7 right smack in the middle of the open space and left room in front of it for my wires to be bundled and sit low. So again, that area is more extra space, I just chose to use it up since it was there.

So trust what I'm saying and not what the pic appears to be showing you. There is extra room there....I just used it since it was there! So ease your mind, that unless your using the Novak brushless motor system or budget electronics, your electonics will fit!
Old 04-30-2003, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Way to represent with the SMC voltage! Looks good in that car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.