ROAR to 4 cell....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR to 4 cell....

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

These type of changes need to be looked at individually by local track operators as a way to increase their race attendace. Josh Cyrul is a trackoperator and racer with many great ideas. He knows what his customers want and should tailor his race program to suit them and does not need a ROAR rule to guide him. A ROAR rule willnot even guarantee success.

Look at the best ruling ROAR has made in a long time - the yearly battery submission rule. For those that don't know, the rule allows new batteries to be approved on a yearly basis. This very popular (at the time) ruling was made so that racers could buy and compete with batteries that would not be made obsolete every couple/few of months when new batteries were released.

What is a good rule was ignored by:

Most clubs and tracks
All non ROAR race promotors and some ROAR promoters
All cell matchers, hobby shops, cell distributors
Most racers
All active R/C cell manufacturers.

Pretty much everyone ignores what is a good rule designed to save racers money and give stability to the hobby (even if just perceived).

So ROAR can go to whatever number of cells they choose, but the problem is much deeper than that and it involves people/personalites, not rules.

How many club races even have a simple tech inspection in place? As a newcomer to any competitive activity, at the very least I would want to know that rules are applied fairly to everyone.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Thus the reason I quit racing Sedan a few year`s ago and run off-road.....

Mod Sedan is a bit insane with the heat issues ...

and sides

only a few will even race Mod Sedan today....

I refuse to race Stock Sedan as I understand the way to heathly race program is not by dominating stock and never moving up....

Its just not my style....
and
no matter, how fast your stock Sedan driver`s feel they are....

I welcome the cell change ...
Today's 6 cell 4200`s R nothing but 7 3000 cells packed into 6 cell`s....

Its well past the time to consider a reduction in cells ...
The dropping of the 7th cell ten years ago did not harm a thing ...

and now

its the same story....
cept maybe a few of you will like to go as fast or even faster as before in the 4 cell or 5 cell Mod program ....

which in hand

would encourage Racer`s like myself to join the fun again....

and at the same time open up the stock Class so the beginner can win and have the fun they deserve
So, going to 4-5 cell, people gearing to retain the speeds that they had before will somehow get people out of stock and move them to 19T or Mod? It would make people quit TC altogether, not move up classes. Who wants to have specific battery packs for their TC that can't be swapped between other forms of racing. I wouldn't be able to use 4 or 5 cell in my Minis so I'd have to have different packs for both which costs to much and I'd drop one and it wouldn't be the Mini. The same problem comes with people who have electric off-road machines and many if not most of them wouldn't be dropping the off-road stuff only to destroy more battery packs racing TCs. I know that 1/12th and Oval guys only race 4-cells and Oval isn't doing well (locally at least) and 1/12th is a LOT cheaper, with longer races, with lighter cars so dumping batteries isn't a concern for them either. So they aren't really comparable.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by muahdib4
So, going to 4-5 cell, people gearing to retain the speeds that they had before will somehow get people out of stock and move them to 19T or Mod? It would make people quit TC altogether, not move up classes. Who wants to have specific battery packs for their TC that can't be swapped between other forms of racing. I wouldn't be able to use 4 or 5 cell in my Minis so I'd have to have different packs for both which costs to much and I'd drop one and it wouldn't be the Mini. The same problem comes with people who have electric off-road machines and many if not most of them wouldn't be dropping the off-road stuff only to destroy more battery packs racing TCs. I know that 1/12th and Oval guys only race 4-cells and Oval isn't doing well (locally at least) and 1/12th is a LOT cheaper, with longer races, with lighter cars so dumping batteries isn't a concern for them either. So they aren't really comparable.
No one wants to hear this.... You must have race only packs and only use them to race.... Guess what, I bash with my matched 4200WC's!!!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

Things that makes people race / show up on Sunday Race :

1. Cheap or reasonable race cost preparation ( buying tires, some parts, etc )
2. Cheap or reasonable entry ticket fees
3. Lots of people or friends going to race on that day
4. Good track facilities
5. No rain
6. 1st, 2nd, 3rd Trophies for every group ( A, B, C, D ) and door prizes.

Things that makes RC become very expensive hobby ---> people are getting serious and/or wants to be on the edge ( READ : EXCESSIVE SPENDING ) :
Need to buy Ultra matched batteries
Need to buy Pro level / expensive Chargers and Dischargers
Need to buy Motor Dyno and Motor Lathe
Need to buy Ultra speed motors..... whatever that is, they still blow coz the commutator is old technology that will never get perfect in anyways.

When money talks....... some can afford, some don't, and eventually some prefer not to race becoz it's expensive to maintain or kind of wasting money.

Brushless motor and Lipo batteries WILL ELIMINATE THOSE AND KEEP THE COST OF RACING BACK TO NORMAL ( NOT EXCESSIVE ).

Actually ROAR should banned single digit motors.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
No one wants to hear this.... You must have race only packs and only use them to race.... Guess what, I bash with my matched 4200WC's!!!
And I'll be using mine to run Mini onroad, Mini Rally with friends offroad and use them for the TCS in Memphis. You're right though, nobody wants to see what it would do to the ENTIRE hobby and not just TCs.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Even for those who can afford, do you really want to keep dumping your money into new stuff constantly??? I like to get a car, stick with and learn all its quirks.... I've finally started doing something I've never done in this hobby, I'm selling stuff off....
Old 12-21-2006, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576
Didn't they used to have a 10 turn minimum rule? Everyone hated it!
Old 12-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Well in the Uk people are getting fed up with the cost be it 4 or 6 cell, and attendance is down at many tracks. Because of this there is a revival of interest in the Tamiya TT01 chassis and the basic Eurocup rules.

£70 for a kit, £100 on the track with restricted motors, and competetive racing (oh and dont make the tracks too big) and many will return or join the clubs.

Technology is great but if only a few can afford the top stuff our sport will suffer, anyone in the UK remember 1/8th stock cars? were popular until unlimited engines pushed costs through the roof.

Oh and BRCA rules need looking at the few who turn up at the AGM vote for the whole of the membership, almost as bad as the limited electorate voting in Tony Blair!!!!
Old 12-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576
Things that makes people race / show up on Sunday Race :

1. Cheap or reasonable race cost preparation ( buying tires, some parts, etc )
2. Cheap or reasonable entry ticket fees
3. Lots of people or friends going to race on that day
4. Good track facilities
5. No rain
6. 1st, 2nd, 3rd Trophies for every group ( A, B, C, D ) and door prizes.

Things that makes RC become very expensive hobby ---> people are getting serious and/or wants to be on the edge ( READ : EXCESSIVE SPENDING ) :
Need to buy Ultra matched batteries
Need to buy Pro level / expensive Chargers and Dischargers
Need to buy Motor Dyno and Motor Lathe
Need to buy Ultra speed motors..... whatever that is, they still blow coz the commutator is old technology that will never get perfect in anyways.

When money talks....... some can afford, some don't, and eventually some prefer not to race becoz it's expensive to maintain or kind of wasting money.

Brushless motor and Lipo batteries WILL ELIMINATE THOSE AND KEEP THE COST OF RACING BACK TO NORMAL ( NOT EXCESSIVE ).

Brushless and Lipo will only eliminate the Lathe from your list.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Smash
Brushless and Lipo will only eliminate the Lathe from your list.
and expensive dischargers
Old 12-21-2006, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
and expensive dischargers
I hope we can eliminate those too but weren't we supposed to be able to do that when NiMH came out?
Old 12-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Smash
I hope we can eliminate those too but weren't we supposed to be able to do that when NiMH came out?
No.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Are there problems in our hobby? Yes! Are 27 turn sedans too fast and too expensive?
Define affordable. And what is "expensive"? An actual dollar value.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ah, ..."Utopia"... where finally racing has been ironed out to fully satisfy everyone. Cars are free, parts never wear out (and are also free). Cars require no maintenance whatsover and never break. We all race on world class tracks with no entry fees, and every main is a 10 way tie for first place.

Of course we've all gotten other hobbys now because the RC thing no longer fills our time.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Communism of RC. Dogs and cats sleeping together.