Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR to 4 cell....

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Tech Legend

There you go Joel !!!

The biggest problem right now is nobody in Sedan will standup and say .....

THE CAR`S R JUST GOING TO FAST........
Old 12-13-2006, 12:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As a side note: For years the average electric racer screamed for batteries that he or she could buy at the local shop and be competitive on a national level. Electric racing was never bigger than during this time of unobtainable batteries. Now that batteries are basically a non issue... electric classes are dying. Hmmm.

...Joel[/QUOTE]

The above statement suggests that if we could hunt for 100 dollar batteries for a week straight and maybe still not obtain them the sport would grow.

My perspective- 2 years ago I could not race with Barry Baker, Rick Howhart, Numan, or Weiss at my local track because my batteries and motors would not stay strong for 5 minutes. Now I have raced with them several times and can stay on lap. I am in no way suggesting I am in their league but brushless and cheap 6 cells have given me the opportunity to race with them. So in conclusion if buying hard to find 4 cell batteries every month is the ticket I guess my driving and setup skills will be for not.

A sport that decreases technology (Batteries) rather than increasing it (Fix the motors and speed Controls) for the guys who want to go fast and run 6 cell mabuchi for people who want to go slow will die.

Anyone for paintball
Old 12-13-2006, 03:30 AM
Tech Regular

I have one question:

There is a rule that tell you that you can use 5.5 Turns Brushless Motor
Is there a rule (EFRA)that tells you that you can use only motors with not higher than 340 Watt?

LRP has 5.5 Turn Brushless 280Watt and 5.5 Turn Brushless with 390Watt.

Why i cannot use the 5.5 Turn with the 390 Watt?

Sorry for the Off-Topic

Regards

Last edited by nikoskar; 12-13-2006 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TRESFR

A sport that decreases technology (Batteries) rather than increasing it (Fix the motors and speed Controls) for the guys who want to go fast and run 6 cell mabuchi for people who want to go slow will die.

Anyone for paintball
So, When F1 removed ground effects, most of the driver aids, supercharging, and everything that they did back in the day it made the sport die? Don't think so.

Even NASCAR pulls everyone back. Restrictor plates, spoiler rules, and suspension rules were all put in place when the cars got out of control. One of the biggest concerns that NASCAR had was cars getting into the stands.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Derek - I think the point is being missed. To me, it's not as much about the speed (remember, I race 1/8 On-Road), it's about the reliability. My electric car I have to be so careful with the set-ups not to destroy the motor or speedo in only 5 minutes. Before, we tuned to go fast. Now we test/tune to keep things from melting and blowing up while still being fast enough to be competitive - Testing so things don't melt IS NOT SOMETHING THE AVERAGE RACER CAN AFFORD!!

I want to see the classes be what they are meant to be. Stock - novice, for beginners to average racers so they can become involved in the hobby/sport, improve their ability and not have to race against paid "pro stock" drivers. 19T - The stepping stone class to get experienced racers out of the novice class so they can get used to faster speeds so they are ready to step up to modified. Modified - The top level class with the most prestige as it should be.

Adding a mabuchi type class again thins out the racing. I can see this as a possibility on a club level but it is not something that should ever be run at a major event.

Also, stock isn't slow - It is when compared to mod but we actually tested an old stock motor (origional green machine) from a few years ago with a practice pack that cycled out close to the old 2000's and it was over 1 second a lap slower than what we use now!! We also put in the same layout that we ran Pre-Cleveland back in 2004 - At that time, the fastest laps we ran was 9.9 (Only MF and myself) in mod. On the very same layout at the end of last year (before the WC cells) we ran 9.4's..... A .5 second increase in only 1 1/2 year - I even used the EXACT same car, body and compound tires. Now, with the new cells I'm sure it would be a 9.2.....

Also, comparing 1/8 off-road is definatly apples to oranges - How fast are they?? Maybe 35mph on a straight at any given race?? Electric mod TC's are in the 40-50mph range pulling 2-3x's the G's in the corners?? Come on.....

People don't want 1 run tires, 1 run brushes, 1 run motors.... Are you for real?? They want to BE COMPETITIVE. They only do these things if they have to to BE COMPETITIVE.....

As far as RTR's.... I don't see many TC RTR's running around now as it's mainly all monster trucks. I haven't had a request or inquiry for a TC RTR in the shop for a year but everyone who wants a RTR wants a huge truck to jump and slam into stuff.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:46 AM
Suspended

Glad to see Joel and Josh on board with this. 5 Cells...YES!

And this whole 6-cell "Industry Standard" thing is bunk.

It was "Industry Standard" several years ago to have non-rebuildable stock motors.

It was also "Industry Standard" that all car bodies had to resemble an actual race car. Show me a current race car that looks like a Speed 12 1/12 body.

Everybody will adjust, from the mfgs to the racers. If a new racer shows up at a club race with a 6-cell stick pack in his RTR, I seriously doubt he'll be turned away. Doubtful this will ever happen at a race higher than the club level. Same as a new racer showing up now with a 15-turn RTR motor in his truck....they'll let him run in stock anyway.

Things change, and it's time for this to happen.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
I want to see the classes be what they are meant to be. Stock - novice, for beginners to average racers so they can become involved in the hobby/sport, improve their ability and not have to race against paid "pro stock" drivers. 19T - The stepping stone class to get experienced racers out of the novice class so they can get used to faster speeds so they are ready to step up to modified. Modified - The top level class with the most prestige as it should be.

Adding a mabuchi type class again thins out the racing. I can see this as a possibility on a club level but it is not something that should ever be run at a major event.
YES!
Old 12-13-2006, 07:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Let's make it simple..."the needs of the MANY outweigh the needs of the few". This "might" help the few Mod racers who can't figure out how to keep their equipment from blowing up but it hurts everyone else. It would hurt the hobby, it would hurt the racers. If you can't see that then fine. When TC racing dies then it dies and you will all have to live with it. I'll wait and see what the decision is before I buy anything and if the decision is to slow everything down then I'll go nitro off-road and keep racing TCS Mini (minis are just to much fun and ONLY accept 6-cell battery packs). My few hundred dollars may not make a difference but a lot of racers will also move on to something else. TC racing is already on the decline and by forcing racers to change EVERYTHING then more people will continue to move away from it. I guess that's fine as long as the few Mod racers who blow stuff up are taken care of.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
There you go Joel !!!

The biggest problem right now is nobody in Sedan will standup and say .....

THE CAR`S R JUST GOING TO FAST........
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My car is not too fast.... It's that I'm toooo slow for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

muahdib4 - "EVERYTHING".... Na, just 1 cell... This might change it from a "few" mod racers to "a lot" or "more" mod racers allowing room for more new racers to excel in the stock & 19T classes. If you feel that 4-5 cell stock would be too slow, then good - run 19T or run Mod... It's simple....

NOVA - LOL...
Old 12-13-2006, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by muahdib4
Let's make it simple..."the needs of the MANY outweigh the needs of the few". This "might" help the few Mod racers who can't figure out how to keep their equipment from blowing up but it hurts everyone else. It would hurt the hobby, it would hurt the racers. If you can't see that then fine. When TC racing dies then it dies and you will all have to live with it. I'll wait and see what the decision is before I buy anything and if the decision is to slow everything down then I'll go nitro off-road and keep racing TCS Mini (minis are just to much fun and ONLY accept 6-cell battery packs). My few hundred dollars may not make a difference but a lot of racers will also move on to something else. TC racing is already on the decline and by forcing racers to change EVERYTHING then more people will continue to move away from it. I guess that's fine as long as the few Mod racers who blow stuff up are taken care of.
They can have their 4 cell TC.... Who knows, this may even bring back 10th plan cars for the people who want to go fast again....
Old 12-13-2006, 07:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
muahdib4 - "EVERYTHING".... Na, just 1 cell... This might change it from a "few" mod racers to "a lot" or "more" mod racers allowing room for more new racers to excel in the stock & 19T classes. If you feel that 4-5 cell stock would be too slow, then good - run 19T or run Mod... It's simple....

NOVA - LOL...
Hey, guess what...you wanna go slower...race 19T yourself...it's simple and doesn't force a redesign of the entire industry standard 6-cell and push TCs off to the side even more. Oh and by ROAR rules you can run fewer cells if you want so you can run 4-5 cells RIGHT NOW if you feel that's what it will take to save your equipment AND you don't have to force the rest of the TC world to change. That's sounds easier.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What we have hear us a bunch of guys that have been racing stock for a couple of years telling guys that have been racing all kinds of classes for 20 years plus that they don't know what they are talking about.

Isn't the internet great. If this was 1990 we would all be racing 4 or 5 cells now and this would not be an issue at all. Racers would just deal with it and adapt like that did with all similar changes before.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

I've been testing with 5-cells and have been racing at the same speeds...lol... I'll run my 5-cells... If I can get it 100% sorted I'll even race it at the next major events. How about you get a TC and race some stock/19T AND MOD then post your opinion??

I've voiced my opinion. Now I'm going back to work. Good luck to all racers out there and see ya at the track!!
Old 12-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
What we have hear us a bunch of guys that have been racing stock for a couple of years telling guys that have been racing all kinds of classes for 20 years plus that they don't know what they are talking about.

Isn't the internet great. If this was 1990 we would all be racing 4 or 5 cells now and this would not be an issue at all. Racers would just deal with it and adapt like that did with all similar changes before.
Since the ROAR rules state "6 cell maximum", what would the possibilty be of the EXCOM amending the rules to allow for a weight allowance for 5 & 4 cell? As it sites now technically you can run 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 cells in your car ..but the weight stays with the same minimum no matter what.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.