Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR to 4 cell....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 06:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg
No, it does not.

Itīs not as narrowminded as you want it to look like.
People in general have a problem taking a good advice from others that have done the mistakes, and seems to need to make them themself before they belewe in it.... Thatīs narrowminded. But you are not one of them right?...

Are you serious now? Should Roars rule be dictated by the possibility that someone, somewhere need to buy another pack of batteries summertime?

If Roar goes 5-cell ( 4-cell was up for proposal at the EFRA AGM aas well, but changed to 5 as a good compromice for now ), I guess the only logic thing is to bring in 5-cells in 19 and 27 as well. Thatīs what will happend in Europe, and people are eager for it here as the temp goes down dramaticly on the equippment, meaning saving bucks for the ones that need it most.
We need to wait until April 1:st, as we donīt want to change rules halfways through the indoor season, but plenty want this change to be done already Jan 1.

Plenty of people already want this to happen now? WHO??? A few factory drivers maybe who aren't the ones who will PAY $$$$ for it. I think if you look back through just this thread you'll see that MOST people are completely AGAINST it.

It isn't a fix, it's an excuse. What are the problems this even addresses? Heat causing parts to fail...gear down...runs cooler...parts don't fail. Sorry, your stuff fails because you push it to hard, that's your problem and not the industries as a whole. Stock is to fast for newbies....SilverCan class. Look at that, I fixed it. The two problems this is supposed to address are fixed and this leaves the door open for LIPO in the near future.

What are the problems this CAUSES. Forces hobbyists to buy all new stuff. The car that was DESIGNED for 6-cell now is obsolete. Yes, I can move the electronics around but then you're adding longer wires and we all know that's less efficient. The new designs will also be lighter since the weight limit will most likely be decreased so parts will be MORE prone to failure and breakage when you hit the wall. You WILL have to buy new batteries. Some say you can simply break down your current packs but guess what...now the matched cells you paid big money for aren't matched anymore and unless every pack had been cycled the same number of times...you could potentially be looking at major malfunctions. So, you'll have to buy new packs. Also, since people like speed, everyone will be forced to move up a class to regain the lost speed so even more $$$ spent by hobbyists to move up a class and buy new motors...etc... Lastly, runtime will be shorter and you know that's true, which means TCs will never get to the point where they can run longer Mains like 1/12th scale does...which is why so many people are going that route...MORE TIME ON THE TRACK RACING!!!! Oh yeah...it keeps LIPO out which is probably the real purpose. LIPO could hurt the battery manufacturers and the battery matching companies and ROAR wouldn't want to stop bowing down to them since most of the people who are FOR 4-5cell are sponsored by a battery company or matching company. I know, we would only be buying 4-cells instead of 6 BUT we would have to buy MORE packs to get the same runtime as we can currently AND it will keep the real competitor...LIPO...out of racing.

It's all really simple. Just because Japan and Europe made changes doesn't mean the US has to. When did we become a country of followers instead of a country of LEADERS. When did this country stop being the innovators of speed and daring and start cowing down to Europe and Japan.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
I wonder if ROAR or the other major races would be interested in allowing the mixing of the cell counts and allowing for the weight difference. .
I mentioned that about 3 weeks ago
Old 12-12-2006, 06:26 AM
Tech Elite

No, it does not.

Itīs not as narrowminded as you want it to look like.
People in general have a problem taking a good advice from others that have done the mistakes, and seems to need to make them themself before they belewe in it.... Thatīs narrowminded. But you are not one of them right?...

Are you serious now? Should Roars rule be dictated by the possibility that someone, somewhere need to buy another pack of batteries summertime?

If Roar goes 5-cell ( 4-cell was up for proposal at the EFRA AGM aas well, but changed to 5 as a good compromice for now ), I guess the only logic thing is to bring in 5-cells in 19 and 27 as well. Thatīs what will happend in Europe, and people are eager for it here as the temp goes down dramaticly on the equippment, meaning saving bucks for the ones that need it most.
We need to wait until April 1:st, as we donīt want to change rules halfways through the indoor season, but plenty want this change to be done already Jan 1.

Have your 4 cell TC... I know the guys who have been in this hobby since before TC's came along will go and make a whole new class... You can have your 4 cell TC, we'll just mod a few buggies and run a 6 cell 2wd tranny class and kick your asses!!!
Old 12-12-2006, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by muahdib4
It's all really simple. When did we become a country of followers instead of a country of LEADERS.
So thatīs your problem... Poor US of A....
Old 12-12-2006, 07:54 AM
Tech Regular

Anders,

Have you, your dog, or any one else in Europe had to buy "all new stuff" in order to run with the new rules?

I know that there were some problems with having to update some of the chargers and discharge trays but what exactly has been the big expense of going to 5 cells in Europe?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
Have your 4 cell TC... I know the guys who have been in this hobby since before TC's came along will go and make a whole new class... You can have your 4 cell TC, we'll just mod a few buggies and run a 6 cell 2wd tranny class and kick your asses!!!
I have been around since 1971...
Have raced most classes, from slotracing to 1/4. From the first early electric cars, to the latest. Have two sons who are racing on a international level and I am president of our local club here, where I have to listen to all "unsponsored drivers".
Have heard all these excuses many, many, many time during the years. As soon as something new is proposed, some just must disagree, without testing it. The people in this industry is good guys, knowing what they are doing and want this hobby/sport to be as simple, equal and fair as possible.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Unregistered
Anders,

Have you, your dog, or any one else in Europe had to buy "all new stuff" in order to run with the new rules?

I know that there were some problems with having to update some of the chargers and discharge trays but what exactly has been the big expense of going to 5 cells in Europe?
No, my dog is not racing.
Are you trying to tell me people donīt buy new stuff for a new season? If not, well, maybe we then do them a favour as they now can rip off one broken cell, and have a pack of 5, as good as new.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

The point was that the guys in Europe didn't have to rush out and buy all new stuff with the new rules.

One of the biggest arguments from the guys here is that it's going to force them to buy all new stuff when it's simply not the case.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

I have been around since 1971...
Have raced most classes, from slotracing to 1/4. From the first early electric cars, to the latest. Have two sons who are racing on a international level and I am president of our local club here, where I have to listen to all "unsponsored drivers".
Have heard all these excuses many, many, many time during the years. As soon as something new is proposed, some just must disagree, without testing it. The people in this industry is good guys, knowing what they are doing and want this hobby/sport to be as simple, equal and fair as possible.
I started with my first hobby grade car in 1976, so you have 5 years on me... I still occasionally race slot cars.... I like to steer too....

Your market in Europe (Sweden?) is really not comparable to America...
Old 12-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

I wouldn't recommend 4 cells for mod or any other big ampere motors WITHOUT extra battery to power receiver and servo exclusively. I have test it....... the car went straight to the wall

Lets go back to American standard ( read: world standard ) = 6 cells.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

The point was that the guys in Europe didn't have to rush out and buy all new stuff with the new rules.

One of the biggest arguments from the guys here is that it's going to force them to buy all new stuff when it's simply not the case.
Like it would matter to Mr. Myrberg anyway if he did have to buy new stuff. He obviously has the money to keep himself in all forms of racing like he said, as well as his 2 sons. Some people can't afford that. Not everyone has that kind of disposible income. I guess it's difficult to look at people in other income brackets and understand that they aren't as priviliged. Sure, I could take 1-2 batteries off of packs I already have and use them still but then I wasted the money on buying those cells right? I guess I could make some artsy collage out of them. That's still wasted $$$$. Going to 4 or 5 cell does NOTHING for the hobby. I'm sure nobody spent a dime either having to step up a class to keep the same speeds as before. I'm sure new motors and such were just given to them.

Since you're apparently the authority on business and the industry (you know by being unregistered and all), tell us all how this would be beneficial to the racer, the basher and the hobbyist. The answers will be the same as they always are...won't destroy equipment but we know that people will just gear up and still destroy equipment (still to hot) and the cars will have lighter weight limits resulting in manufacturers using lighter material that will still break when you hit the boards...cars will be slower until everyone gears up or moves up a class so it doesn't fix the fact that people think that Stock is to fast, Mod will ALWAYS get faster, that's why it's MOD. It does nothing for the racer, the basher gets to lose runtime and speed. Yeah, such a good idea.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

So thatīs your problem... Poor US of A....
Yep, that's exactly my problem. All the other problems were just a smokescreen for the fact that I'm mad because Europe made a decision without 7-10 years of deliberation and sanctions.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

This shouldn't turn into a "who's country is better" debate.

But Anders, are there really problems with people running 19-turn? Since there aren't too many "privateer" mod guys, or people running mod in the USA, which has been established, why do we need to alter the industry standard to make a few on-road carpet racers think they are faster?

There are plenty of "slow classes" to be run, so "slowing down" people isn't going to change anything. It still doesn't teach people to drive.

But the bottom line here is that, EVERYTHING runs on 6-cell.

And even one of the most respected Motor companies, and drivers says there isn't really a problem. Racers will "Race" anything, anywhere, but they rarely think of the affects of decisions outside the little world of "factory" racing. And I don't blame them, but looking at what's good for the "whole" often has different needs and solutions.

YOu want to create a slower class...run a 540 class.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Obviously they can't buy new stuff, but as soon as the newest car, charger, spiked cells, tires, and whatever else comes out and is faster....everybody has to buy new stuff to stay at the same level.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Honestly Mr. Myrberg, I think that you are comparing apples to oranges here. The racing conditions in Europe are much different than the racing conditions here in the U.S. We as a whole rarely race on such large tracks as you are blessed with in Europe. This alone causes a difference of opinion about cell count. We do not see the failure rate that those in Europe do. We have a very vocal few who are complaining while the majority really have no problem and are in fact enjoying what they have now. We are also seeing club racers embracing the new technology of Bushless motors and LIPO because they are simpler to use and maintain than their counterparts. Should ROAR go to 4 or 5 cell exclusive use, then we bar much of the new technology from being used on the club level and that will affect turn outs. We don't want that! We need to think about making it easier for the average "Joe" to come out and race without all of the "Black Majic" and "Voodoo" required to be competitive and fast. Making cars slower just takes away from their appeal.....and gives them fuel to stay home and work on their PS3 skills.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.