R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-02-2006, 07:30 AM   #961
Tech Regular
 
Joep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 360
Unhappy

It's a shame all regulating bodies didn't come to 1 solution. Know we have Japan 4 cell, Europe 5 cell and US 6 cell.
__________________
Xray T3 for dry and Xray T2'009 for rainy weather. Sponsored by: Myself and my wife.
Joep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:32 AM   #962
Tech Elite
 
HarshGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 3,379
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoachRacing
ROAR NEWS

11/30/06 How Many Cells?

There has been recent movement in parts of the R/C world to reduce the number of cells in electric racing in all classes. A change such as this is an extremely important one and cannot be taken lightly. At this time ROAR has determined that there is not enough information to make an informed decision as to the best direction to take in 2007.

Regarding the number of cells in all classes there will be no change to the existing rules.

ROAR will monitor the international developments of four and five cell racing and after careful evaluation, make its determination for the 2008 rules when appropriate.

http://roarracing.com/news.php
Props to ROAR, great decision IMO.
__________________
http://www.arroyoc.com
http://www.gearchart.com
http://www.weracemountainbikes.com
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:44 AM   #963
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,211
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joep
It's a shame all regulating bodies didn't come to 1 solution. Know we have Japan 4 cell, Europe 5 cell and US 6 cell.
That's probably a good thing. Now you have people trying each possibility. The best answer will come in time, and IFMAR will change the rule then.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:09 AM   #964
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,211
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Gee, ROAR did something right, imagine that.

If there's one conclusion you can take from this thread is that most racers think that there is a problem with RC racing. While most of the posts here concerned either the motors or the batteries, no one mentioned the cars themselves. Just look at X-Ray over the last couple years. Every year they release a car better than the previous. And they're not alone. Not only have motors and batteries improved, but the cars have also improved to handle the new power available.

I think the problem with on road touring car is the cars are too fast. It's not just the motors or the batteries, but the entire combination that makes these things mini rocket ships. With the cars this fast, it requires a much higher ability to drive them. Without that ability, you're hitting the boards and spending more time fixing your car than driving it. At that point you're not having fun anymore. And when you stop having fun, you get out of the hobby.

It's possible that we have reached the point where the RC community needs to develop a true spec class. Not just a motor limit, but rules governing the car and batteries as well. There will always be mod and 19 turn for advanced racers, but an inexpensive and slower class not only for newbies but those who just want to go out and have fun. This isn't outside the realm of possibility. Both X-Ray and Corally make inexpensive versions of their top line cars. The biggest difference is the chassis.

The first rule that should be adopted for the spec class concerns car construction:

BAN GRAPHITE!!!
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:14 AM   #965
Tech Elite
 
vtl1180ny's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Wrong Island
Posts: 4,963
Default

You mean Ban Carbon Fiber... CF and graphite are 2 different substances...
__________________
I still lurk....
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #966
Tech Master
 
PitNamedGordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Highwood, IL
Posts: 1,789
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml
Both X-Ray and Corally make inexpensive versions of their top line cars. The biggest difference is the chassis.
Corally makes a a cheaper version of the RDX

I would like to see a 'spec' class car format. Maybe have a dollar limit on the kit...maybe $250. There are at least 3 race worthy cars well below $250 now; the Xray T2R, Cyclone S, and the Tamiya TA05. With swapping CF for tub or fiberglass chassis, and aluminum for graphite molds, you could reduce the cost of any high end car and still have the same drive-train and suspension design. I have read in many forums that many people feel the cost racing is too high, and some feel they need to fork out tons of cash to get in. This could help limit that. I'm open to trying anything new. 4 cell, 6 cell, whatever it takes to keep this hobby fun and growing.
__________________
☆ The Track @ Harbor Hobbies ☆ www.harbor-hobby.net ☆
PitNamedGordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:28 AM   #967
Tech Master
 
Euge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,429
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joep
It's a shame all regulating bodies didn't come to 1 solution. Know we have Japan 4 cell, Europe 5 cell and US 6 cell.
It's called free long term real world testing for us in the US. (I am interested to see how long 4 cell packs will last before being replaced)

I think the ROAR excomm did an awesome job by waiting to see what happens.
Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:42 AM   #968
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 1,853
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoachRacing
ROAR NEWS

11/30/06 How Many Cells?

There has been recent movement in parts of the R/C world to reduce the number of cells in electric racing in all classes. A change such as this is an extremely important one and cannot be taken lightly. At this time ROAR has determined that there is not enough information to make an informed decision as to the best direction to take in 2007.

Regarding the number of cells in all classes there will be no change to the existing rules.

ROAR will monitor the international developments of four and five cell racing and after careful evaluation, make its determination for the 2008 rules when appropriate.

http://roarracing.com/news.php
To the ROAR EXCOM,

Thank you for seeing that there are other possibilities. Thank you for listening and thank you for your wisdom in this matter. Please remember when the time comes to give your racers a voice and allow them to vote on this very important issue.

Art Davenport
__________________
SMC ( www.smc-racing.com the only place to order your batteries online.), Awesomatix, Gonzo Paints, BN Racing

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #969
Tech Champion
 
C_O_jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wa.
Posts: 9,055
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil
To the ROAR EXCOM,

Thank you for seeing that there are other possibilities. Thank you for listening and thank you for your wisdom in this matter. Please remember when the time comes to give your racers a voice and allow them to vote on this very important issue.

Art Davenport
Couldn't say it any better.
Thanks ROAR!!!!
Fred
__________________
Bacon is Meat Candy
C_O_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #970
Tech Elite
 
Fred Hubbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Inglewood, CA
Posts: 2,719
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joep
It's a shame all regulating bodies didn't come to 1 solution. Know we have Japan 4 cell, Europe 5 cell and US 6 cell.
Did I miss something here, I was under the impression that 4 cell was ran at the J-Nats as just an experiment of sorts. Is this not the case? If so, then it's only EFRA that has a cell limitation.
__________________
Goodwine Racing - RC America - XRAY - HUDY - Sanwa - Motiv - GravityRC - BN Racing
Fred Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:31 AM   #971
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,211
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
Corally makes a a cheaper version of the RDX
Sorry, my bad. I was thinking Cyclone S, not Corally.

Corally doesn't make anything cheap.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #972
Tech Fanatic
 
muahdib4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raymore
Posts: 863
Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
Corally makes a a cheaper version of the RDX

I would like to see a 'spec' class car format. Maybe have a dollar limit on the kit...maybe $250. There are at least 3 race worthy cars well below $250 now; the Xray T2R, Cyclone S, and the Tamiya TA05. With swapping CF for tub or fiberglass chassis, and aluminum for graphite molds, you could reduce the cost of any high end car and still have the same drive-train and suspension design. I have read in many forums that many people feel the cost racing is too high, and some feel they need to fork out tons of cash to get in. This could help limit that. I'm open to trying anything new. 4 cell, 6 cell, whatever it takes to keep this hobby fun and growing.
Hasn't Trinity tried a 'spec' class with the Trinity T-Spec? I still like the idea of the 'Mini' class. 540 silver can motor, speed control and very little to setup suspension wise, plus a control tire of some sort. Still not only a good class for beginners...just an all-around blast to race.
__________________
KCRC - Kansas City Remote Crawlers
Team Chucklenuts Racing
Midwest R/C Rally Confederation
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:47 PM   #973
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: England (UK)
Posts: 151
Default

Im glad for you floks over the pond, at least ROAR have used some coomon sense.
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:01 PM   #974
Tech Master
 
PitNamedGordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Highwood, IL
Posts: 1,789
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muahdib4
Hasn't Trinity tried a 'spec' class with the Trinity T-Spec? I still like the idea of the 'Mini' class. 540 silver can motor, speed control and very little to setup suspension wise, plus a control tire of some sort. Still not only a good class for beginners...just an all-around blast to race.

Yeah I think they did. But they only allowed the T Spec car. I'd like to see one where you could use any companies cars. I like the idea of the Tamiya TCS racing (never been to one though) but open to all manufacturers.
__________________
☆ The Track @ Harbor Hobbies ☆ www.harbor-hobby.net ☆
PitNamedGordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:17 PM   #975
Tech Regular
 
ddesros2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Windsor, Canada-eh!!
Posts: 403
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoachRacing
ROAR NEWS

11/30/06 How Many Cells?

There has been recent movement in parts of the R/C world to reduce the number of cells in electric racing in all classes. A change such as this is an extremely important one and cannot be taken lightly. At this time ROAR has determined that there is not enough information to make an informed decision as to the best direction to take in 2007.

Regarding the number of cells in all classes there will be no change to the existing rules.

ROAR will monitor the international developments of four and five cell racing and after careful evaluation, make its determination for the 2008 rules when appropriate.

http://roarracing.com/news.php

Good

Now, I think everyone should tone down the flaming, charge you packs and race our toy cars for bowling trophies.

Remember....if your not having fun racing RC cars, quit, the knitting community would welcome you.

ddesros2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5 cell Stock for the ROAR Onroad Nat's? C_O_jones Electric On-Road 75 06-21-2007 07:38 PM
F/S: Glow plug igniter, gel cell charger, gel cell, camber guage and car stand PD2 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 18 05-21-2007 04:07 PM
Opinions on ROAR 4-Cell Rule ShaunMac Georgia Racing 12 11-29-2006 06:54 AM
ROAR - 4 cell for all touring HarshGuy Electric On-Road 17 11-23-2006 10:59 AM
non-roar bodies faster than roar? imjonah Electric On-Road 5 05-13-2005 07:40 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:31 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net