Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR to 4 cell....

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 06:30 AM
Tech Regular

Unhappy

It's a shame all regulating bodies didn't come to 1 solution. Know we have Japan 4 cell, Europe 5 cell and US 6 cell.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RoachRacing
ROAR NEWS

11/30/06 How Many Cells?

There has been recent movement in parts of the R/C world to reduce the number of cells in electric racing in all classes. A change such as this is an extremely important one and cannot be taken lightly. At this time ROAR has determined that there is not enough information to make an informed decision as to the best direction to take in 2007.

Regarding the number of cells in all classes there will be no change to the existing rules.

ROAR will monitor the international developments of four and five cell racing and after careful evaluation, make its determination for the 2008 rules when appropriate.

http://roarracing.com/news.php
Props to ROAR, great decision IMO.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joep
It's a shame all regulating bodies didn't come to 1 solution. Know we have Japan 4 cell, Europe 5 cell and US 6 cell.
That's probably a good thing. Now you have people trying each possibility. The best answer will come in time, and IFMAR will change the rule then.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:09 AM
Tech Lord

Gee, ROAR did something right, imagine that.

If there's one conclusion you can take from this thread is that most racers think that there is a problem with RC racing. While most of the posts here concerned either the motors or the batteries, no one mentioned the cars themselves. Just look at X-Ray over the last couple years. Every year they release a car better than the previous. And they're not alone. Not only have motors and batteries improved, but the cars have also improved to handle the new power available.

I think the problem with on road touring car is the cars are too fast. It's not just the motors or the batteries, but the entire combination that makes these things mini rocket ships. With the cars this fast, it requires a much higher ability to drive them. Without that ability, you're hitting the boards and spending more time fixing your car than driving it. At that point you're not having fun anymore. And when you stop having fun, you get out of the hobby.

It's possible that we have reached the point where the RC community needs to develop a true spec class. Not just a motor limit, but rules governing the car and batteries as well. There will always be mod and 19 turn for advanced racers, but an inexpensive and slower class not only for newbies but those who just want to go out and have fun. This isn't outside the realm of possibility. Both X-Ray and Corally make inexpensive versions of their top line cars. The biggest difference is the chassis.

The first rule that should be adopted for the spec class concerns car construction:

BAN GRAPHITE!!!
Old 12-02-2006, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

You mean Ban Carbon Fiber... CF and graphite are 2 different substances...
Old 12-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Both X-Ray and Corally make inexpensive versions of their top line cars. The biggest difference is the chassis.
Corally makes a a cheaper version of the RDX

I would like to see a 'spec' class car format. Maybe have a dollar limit on the kit...maybe $250. There are at least 3 race worthy cars well below $250 now; the Xray T2R, Cyclone S, and the Tamiya TA05. With swapping CF for tub or fiberglass chassis, and aluminum for graphite molds, you could reduce the cost of any high end car and still have the same drive-train and suspension design. I have read in many forums that many people feel the cost racing is too high, and some feel they need to fork out tons of cash to get in. This could help limit that. I'm open to trying anything new. 4 cell, 6 cell, whatever it takes to keep this hobby fun and growing.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

It's called free long term real world testing for us in the US. (I am interested to see how long 4 cell packs will last before being replaced)

I think the ROAR excomm did an awesome job by waiting to see what happens.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

ROAR NEWS

11/30/06 How Many Cells?

There has been recent movement in parts of the R/C world to reduce the number of cells in electric racing in all classes. A change such as this is an extremely important one and cannot be taken lightly. At this time ROAR has determined that there is not enough information to make an informed decision as to the best direction to take in 2007.

Regarding the number of cells in all classes there will be no change to the existing rules.

ROAR will monitor the international developments of four and five cell racing and after careful evaluation, make its determination for the 2008 rules when appropriate.

To the ROAR EXCOM,

Thank you for seeing that there are other possibilities. Thank you for listening and thank you for your wisdom in this matter. Please remember when the time comes to give your racers a voice and allow them to vote on this very important issue.

Art Davenport
Old 12-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Advil
To the ROAR EXCOM,

Thank you for seeing that there are other possibilities. Thank you for listening and thank you for your wisdom in this matter. Please remember when the time comes to give your racers a voice and allow them to vote on this very important issue.

Art Davenport
Couldn't say it any better.
Thanks ROAR!!!!
Fred
Old 12-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Did I miss something here, I was under the impression that 4 cell was ran at the J-Nats as just an experiment of sorts. Is this not the case? If so, then it's only EFRA that has a cell limitation.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
Sorry, my bad. I was thinking Cyclone S, not Corally.

Corally doesn't make anything cheap.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie

I would like to see a 'spec' class car format. Maybe have a dollar limit on the kit...maybe $250. There are at least 3 race worthy cars well below $250 now; the Xray T2R, Cyclone S, and the Tamiya TA05. With swapping CF for tub or fiberglass chassis, and aluminum for graphite molds, you could reduce the cost of any high end car and still have the same drive-train and suspension design. I have read in many forums that many people feel the cost racing is too high, and some feel they need to fork out tons of cash to get in. This could help limit that. I'm open to trying anything new. 4 cell, 6 cell, whatever it takes to keep this hobby fun and growing.
Hasn't Trinity tried a 'spec' class with the Trinity T-Spec? I still like the idea of the 'Mini' class. 540 silver can motor, speed control and very little to setup suspension wise, plus a control tire of some sort. Still not only a good class for beginners...just an all-around blast to race.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Tech Adept

Im glad for you floks over the pond, at least ROAR have used some coomon sense.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by muahdib4
Hasn't Trinity tried a 'spec' class with the Trinity T-Spec? I still like the idea of the 'Mini' class. 540 silver can motor, speed control and very little to setup suspension wise, plus a control tire of some sort. Still not only a good class for beginners...just an all-around blast to race.

Yeah I think they did. But they only allowed the T Spec car. I'd like to see one where you could use any companies cars. I like the idea of the Tamiya TCS racing (never been to one though) but open to all manufacturers.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

ROAR NEWS

11/30/06 How Many Cells?

Good

Now, I think everyone should tone down the flaming, charge you packs and race our toy cars for bowling trophies.

Remember....if your not having fun racing RC cars, quit, the knitting community would welcome you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.