Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
CRC's New Generation-X.... Your Thoughts? >

CRC's New Generation-X.... Your Thoughts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CRC's New Generation-X.... Your Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Damper Tube Oils

OK, I am new to damper tubes and 12th scale cars. Would someone explain to me why you would go with a thicker oil in the dampers then you would normally run, say Losi 100 wt.? Couldn't you get the same results if you went with a thicker side spring, or is this for fine tuning the car. And if you were to use thicker or thinner damper oils what would be the conditions that would make you want to change. Sorry for my stupidity.

Jack
Old 01-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My version of Handling 101:
Handling is based on two main components. Contact patch/Slip angle and Weight Transfer. A damper or shock creates initial resistance to movement and thus causes a instance resistance to weight transfer but it will equalize in time. A spring is progressive in nature and will provide less resistance initially but will increase resistance with compression.

So what does this mean. You would notice a change in damper fluid in a quick chicane but a spring change in a sweeper. This is a over simplification and there are books written on this subject but in general it is good to try these changes for yourself and keep some notes as one persons rocket setup is another's dog setup.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jackh
OK, I am new to damper tubes and 12th scale cars. Would someone explain to me why you would go with a thicker oil in the dampers then you would normally run, say Losi 100 wt.? Couldn't you get the same results if you went with a thicker side spring, or is this for fine tuning the car. And if you were to use thicker or thinner damper oils what would be the conditions that would make you want to change. Sorry for my stupidity.

Jack
Using a thicker lube adds front traction & steering. Slows transition from side to side of the chassis. Using a thinner lube decreases front traction & decreases steering. Speeds up transition of side to side movement.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Was thinking about getting back into 12th scale. How's the new front end working for people? Are there any design/fitting problems, prone to breakage/bending problems that are of any concerns.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A couple people I know have broken the lower arms. But the overall design, in my opinion is superior. My favorite part is the ability to control the tightness on both pivot balls. It was very difficult to do that with the standard AE front end. In my opinion, the end result is less friction. Sometimes to the point of feeling nothing but the spring resistance. I've noticed less metal on metal friction.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Tech Adept

Its working really well for me also.
I was worried about lower A arms because I am running without spares! I have completed two meetings now and I have hit some stuff hard with no problems.

I have taken similar hits and bust IRS/Associated arms. Normally the same side on any given track and thats a pain. Its nice that the CRC arms are not handed.

I was also interested to see how the pillow/ball arangement held up against over rotation of the steering. So far so good.

Cheers

Mark

Originally Posted by Obsidian
Was thinking about getting back into 12th scale. How's the new front end working for people? Are there any design/fitting problems, prone to breakage/bending problems that are of any concerns.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Yup...according to CRC it's "Extra Heavy".
LOL yes i know that but the # wt oil it is.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:22 AM
Tech Elite

the new front end is cool you can change things so easy on it,but i do wish the axle was still small,but all and all i like it better.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Smile Plymouth

Originally Posted by Mark Payne
Its working really well for me also.
I was worried about lower A arms because I am running without spares! I have completed two meetings now and I have hit some stuff hard with no problems.

I have taken similar hits and bust IRS/Associated arms. Normally the same side on any given track and thats a pain. Its nice that the CRC arms are not handed.

I was also interested to see how the pillow/ball arangement held up against over rotation of the steering. So far so good.

Cheers

Mark
Hi Mark

same here no spares run since Teesside no problems, even ran the car withh the 3 shimms all the way forward this is not as aggressive as you think just it can catch you out in the beginning of the corner.

Plymouth next week will be a good test (do you remember last year at Plymouth or would you rather forget )

Alan
Old 01-13-2007, 04:45 AM
Tech Adept

Alan...

I had to so and have counselling after Plymouth last year It took 4 sessions just to stop my left eye twitching. Having you wait for me to come off the rostrum is not something that will ever happen again Signs his own death warrant.....

Peace

Mark
Old 01-13-2007, 05:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Counciling

Hi Mark

The best bit was you going from my table to Alex's table and then back to your table and looking puzzelled but there again I have told you before not to ask Alex for a set up as he is a law unto himself when it comes to set up.

Any way wheels and GenX I have used HR and CRC dished wheels without any issues.

Alan
Old 01-13-2007, 08:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Gen X on Pavement?

Hi all,

looking at also getting into 12scale, and noticed a lot of guys at my track are running this car and very happy with it. Question is is this strictly for carpet only? ie, our carpet season will be over soon and will be heading for the pavement. Has anyone had any info on Gen X on pavement.

Just curious if I would be better off going with the Associated where it can do payment and carpet.

Thanks in advance

Ken
Old 01-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FiremanKen
Hi all,

looking at also getting into 12scale, and noticed a lot of guys at my track are running this car and very happy with it. Question is is this strictly for carpet only? ie, our carpet season will be over soon and will be heading for the pavement. Has anyone had any info on Gen X on pavement.

Just curious if I would be better off going with the Associated where it can do payment and carpet.

Thanks in advance

Ken
i think the car will work good.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

I picked up a kidex bumper for this thing today and I've already saved $20 in broken arms. If you're having arm problems, this is the way to go. Oh yeah, green rear tires only last 4 minutes at our track.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

where did you get a kydex bumper? i was at the novak race and a guy had a kydex for his gen x also. thought it was cool but havent found any online

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.