Wiki Posts
Search

oneway vs diff vs spool

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 11:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Default oneway vs diff vs spool

Hi,

I currently run a diff, and the car has plenty amounts of sterring. I have also tried a oneway for the past few races, and havent noticed any difference, the oneway has given even more steering, but i had to dial down my dual rate as there was too much. I was wondering what the advantage was to running a oneway?, if a oneway is used to only give you more steering, then i dont see the point when i have plenty of steering with a diff!
Would running a spool make any difference ?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2006, 12:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

with a one way or a spool. you will be able not only give you more turning but it will let you run more speed through out the turn. the only disadvantge to a one way you lose a lot of breaking. I just went back to spool and remember why I like it so much more over a reg diff. It also depends on what car your running. From what I read each car has a different characteristic, on each application that is used. I hope this helps. (OH if I someone noticed that I got this all wrong please corrected me.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:16 AM
Tech Elite

A one-way should allow you to carry more speed through the corner because the freewheel effect removes some of the drag created by not having a centre diff.

Spools can be fast but they are very hard on the car mechanically and very unforgiving if you tap the track markings.

My advice with all these things is try it and see how it feels - more importantly, see how it measures up on the stopwatch.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:33 AM
Tech Regular

spool can be faster, with proper setup, it does need differerent setup approach than diff or one-way, see John Stranahan's thread (Losi LCD etc..) there are lot of info regarding spool, one way etc,
Old 08-29-2006, 04:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies.

To me my car just doesnt seem or feel faster using a oneway over a diff, i have plenty of steering with a diff, and i dont feel faster, nor do my laptimes reflect anything when i use a oneway. When i race with other cars, and they too run a diff, and when i run the oneway, i dont have any advantage in the corners over the other cars as regards to speed.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2006, 04:31 AM
Tech Elite

Keep in mind that you should adjust your driving style for each one in order to use it efficiently. In order to take advantage of the one-way, you have to stay on the gas deeper into the corner and keep the trigger just above neutral through the apex. Some drivers trim up their neutral throttle to a slow roll.

With these driving adjustments, you should notice that your closing speed should increase noticeably when tailing another car with a front diff into and through a corner. However, you have to take into account that their car may not hold as much speed as yours through the apex and you should be ready to adjust your line to the outside in order to checkup (without brakes) and not ram them from behind. If you do trim up your neutral throttle, make sure its not too fast of a roll to where you don't have time to adjust your line on corner entry if necessary.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

1-ways I find more suited to fast, open and flowing tracks. I tend to go up on the front spring rate when using one, as this will make the car easier to drive.
I will normally always use dual 1-ways indoors with rubbers on carpet. The only time I tend to use a diff is if the track is especially tight and twisty, and I need the braking.

A one-way should produce the fastest lap times (it makes the car free'r, and gives more steering, especially helpful in stock)....but is harder to drive, so whether or not you can produce it consistently is another matter.

It's all down to really what suits the track more than anything.

HiH
Ed
Old 08-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A spool is most likely the fastest option if you're running mod on a track that requires braking, or has a hairpin. The spool is very suited to technical tracks.
However - It absolutely massacres your equipment and is very hard on your car. Stock up on spares!!

A one-way is my preffered choice. Crazy good steering and forgiving on the car. Allows you to corner quicker without scrubbing speed. Also lets you dive into a corner at high speed and utilise the front-end bite to scrub speed. No brakes required. Also - lots of traction coming out of a corner as you effectively have a locked front diff..

Not great on tracks that have a hairpin. Great on chicanes though. Lots of corner speed. TryHard is spot-on. Lots of closing speed.

A diff - never really used it! Not as much drive out of a corner, and more understeer going into a corner. But, you gain the advantage of having brakes. But then - A spool is even more solid in this regard, and has teh exit drive.

The diff has certainly fallen out of favour for technical outdoors racing here.
Most ppl get roughly the same best lap times with either a spool or one-way. But generally use a spool in a race as it's easier to drive.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

http://thehobbyshoponline.com/Blogs/...1/Default.aspx