Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trinity DPD VS. Teamwave Lightning discharge Equalizing System

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 10:54 AM
mha
Tech Initiate

Thanks Pat. Do you guess or know that it reverts to linear mode? Does it hold the 5 Amps? From the fact that the other 5 cells take fairly long to reach their cut off and the fan being switched of I would conclude a reduction in discharge current.

Quantum: Can't make sense out this either.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Trinity cutting corners? No way!

Old 09-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mha
Thanks Pat. Do you guess or know that it reverts to linear mode? Does it hold the 5 Amps? From the fact that the other 5 cells take fairly long to reach their cut off and the fan being switched of I would conclude a reduction in discharge current.

Quantum: Can't make sense out this either.

I know that it reverts back to liner mode... As far as a reduction in discharge current its a yes and no answer... After the first cell is done with the pulse mode it reverst to liner 5 amp mode.. So after the pulse 30 amps mode there is a reduction to 5 amp, but no further.. The reason it takes so long for the rest of the cells to reach there cut off is because, when you are in pulse mode you pulse the pack as a whole.. The unit just reads the voltage of each cell as it comes down.. Once the liner mode kicks in you may still some charge left in the other cells, but that means you no longer have a "matched" pack as far as runtime.. If the unit were to keep discharging in pulse it would bring the first cell well below the cut off to allow the others to catch up.. hope this makes sense..
Old 09-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pat Clark
I know that it reverts back to liner mode... As far as a reduction in discharge current its a yes and no answer... After the first cell is done with the pulse mode it reverst to liner 5 amp mode.. So after the pulse 30 amps mode there is a reduction to 5 amp, but no further.. The reason it takes so long for the rest of the cells to reach there cut off is because, when you are in pulse mode you pulse the pack as a whole.. The unit just reads the voltage of each cell as it comes down.. Once the liner mode kicks in you may still some charge left in the other cells, but that means you no longer have a "matched" pack as far as runtime.. If the unit were to keep discharging in pulse it would bring the first cell well below the cut off to allow the others to catch up.. hope this makes sense..
OK so the pulse is not a per cell discharge. The unit only measures the rest of the cells to figure avg. volts and run time? So this unit is very different than the MM at a pulse discharge stand point.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
OK so the pulse is not a per cell discharge. The unit only measures the rest of the cells to figure avg. volts and run time? So this unit is very different than the MM at a pulse discharge stand point.

Im not sure if i understand your post... It pulse discharges all the cells...
Old 09-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Tech Champion

Im not sure if i understand your post... It pulse discharges all the cells...
What I am saying is that the DPD does not pulse discharge each cell on its own like the MM unit does. Yes the DPD pulse discharges, but as a pack only as you have stated.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
What I am saying is that the DPD does not pulse discharge each cell on its own like the MM unit does. Yes the DPD pulse discharges, but as a pack only as you have stated.

Are you sure about that this is from the Much More site:

The CTX-D is linear or pulse type discharger and can discharge 1, 3, 4, 6cells or 3, 4, 6cell packs.

Notice how you cant do 2 or 5 cells
Old 09-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Are you sure about that this is from the Much More site:

The CTX-D is linear or pulse type discharger and can discharge 1, 3, 4, 6cells or 3, 4, 6cell packs.

Notice how you cant do 2 or 5 cells
That is referring only to the number of posts on the original MuchMore CTX-D. While it only had 8 discharge posts, it discharged each cell individually by using the battery bars to complete the connection for each cell. The original CTX-D could not discharge 2 or 5 unsoldered cells. From CTX-D thread:

cells 1-6, posts A-H
A1B
*2*
C3D
E4F
*5*
G6H

Post A and B discharges cell 1
Post A and D discharges cell 2
Post C and D discharges cell 3
and so on.....
Now, the CTX-D2's have 12 posts for the ability to discharge/match 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 unsoldered cells, as well as individual cells within assembled packs, etc.

The CTX-D's have 0.5sec pulses with 2.5sec delays in between...so every 6 seconds of discharge time represents 1 second of actual run time.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I know that CTX-D2 is the best discharger out there right now but I just don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a discharger......
Old 09-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

I know that it reverts back to liner mode... As far as a reduction in discharge current its a yes and no answer... After the first cell is done with the pulse mode it reverst to liner 5 amp mode.. So after the pulse 30 amps mode there is a reduction to 5 amp, but no further.. The reason it takes so long for the rest of the cells to reach there cut off is because, when you are in pulse mode you pulse the pack as a whole.. .
waaaiiiittttaaa minuutttee here.... it discharges the pack as a whole?!? are you sure? if that is true then its really just a dynapulse discharger!
what people are asking here is if each cell is individually discharged. if not, then it cannot be compared to the muchmore ctx-d/2. i gots to think that there might be a understanding here about how this device works, what would be the point of having individual cell contacts in a tray format? only to read voltage/IR of each cell but not discharge individually?

then again, i guess you get what you pay for and maybe this is a glorified dynapulse. i tend not to think so.... can someone confirm either way? a purchase decision is on the line here!
Old 09-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by quantum
waaaiiiittttaaa minuutttee here.... it discharges the pack as a whole?!? are you sure? if that is true then its really just a dynapulse discharger!
what people are asking here is if each cell is individually discharged. if not, then it cannot be compared to the muchmore ctx-d/2. i gots to think that there might be a understanding here about how this device works, what would be the point of having individual cell contacts in a tray format? only to read voltage/IR of each cell but not discharge individually?

then again, i guess you get what you pay for and maybe this is a glorified dynapulse. i tend not to think so.... can someone confirm either way? a purchase decision is on the line here!
I have been trying to get opperating info on this thing since it was announced months ago. Not one Trinity rep could give me an answer to the length of time it would take to discharge a pack in pulse mod after you run it. Since it is advertised as having Dyna pulse discharging. Now we find out it only does a pulse discharge on the pack as a whole and not each cell individually. It does seem to just read volts and runtime. If this is the case then the price of the unit should be lower. It is a Dyna pulse with a 5 amp tray. I do like the way it holds the cells.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That sucks, I thought it pulsed discharge each cell individually.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Tech Regular

Pat Clark - Do you work for trinity? Just wondering where you get your info.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Not sure if Pat actually works for Trinity but he is one of their top local drivers. Pat is definitely in the loop and wouldn't give out false info.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Tech Regular

Bob - Just asking because the info he is providing is not the same as what has been commonly accepted from trinity. As a hobby shop owner (and DPD owner) I would like to know exactly how the tray works. I have some on the shelf in my store and dont want to give out false info about them.

Corey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.