Search
Like Tree52Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Markeo
I've just bought a couple of these 2nd hand off ebay to have a play with and so far am really impressed with the car. I've given it a rough setup, and it's lapping on our indoor course at a similar pace to my Mi4, however my Mi4 has had a lot more time spent on the setup and a better ESC / Motor.

I'm sure this post is full of handy tips for the setup, but 780 pages will take ages to read through to find them, so can anybody let me know if there are any 'top tips' I need to follow to get the best out of the car or have a copy of thier setup sheet for a high grip carpet surface.

Also I'm having a bit of a problem finding a new lipo that fits into the car as all the ones I've tried rub on the layshaft, is there a mod to the layshaft to make it wider?

Thanks.
Use the inner front ackerman holes (as described on this page),
put shims under the ball studs in the rear hub carrier
the car is sensitive to roll center and camber gain settings so use these to your advantage
the car changes directions much more quickly than other cars so for sweeping turns you may need a slightly thicker sway bar than you are used to
There are people in this thread that are wicked fast: Mike Haynes, Donnie Lia, Greg Sharpe, Lucas Urbain, Dragon Fire etc(all currently running the car), Jason Schreffler, Larry Fairtrace (they switched to top but still help out with tips when they can) Their setup sheets are posted on the internet, and i think John Lee has them on his blog and some are on petite RC. If you go one or two pages back you can find Haynes and Lia's setup from Control Freakz and Jackson raceway. I would default to those and use them as a starting point.

I like Fairtrace's setup because i don't have to change much when i go to different tracks, it's pretty stable everywhere. I haven't tried some of the newer sheets but i hear Haynes was unstoppable at Jackson.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

For what it's worth I had been struggling with understeer on my R and tried Haynes' Jackson setup and it was DIALED...absolutely the best I've had it working since I started with it this past winter!

Originally Posted by YmeBP
...I hear Haynes was unstoppable at Jackson.
Cheers,
Mike
Old 06-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flyintrtle
Not much you can do to the stock layshaft, your best bet is to get a FlyingFox center layshaft. If your in the States, you could probably get one rather fast from SkyRocket Racing
This is not true, we modified the pulleys before the FF shaft was available. basically take the pulleys apart, sand down the plastic side until its only as thick as the belt, then shim them a bit and they will clear. I posted more detailed instructions somewhere this thread
Old 06-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
This is not true, we modified the pulleys before the FF shaft was available. basically take the pulleys apart, sand down the plastic side until its only as thick as the belt, then shim them a bit and they will clear. I posted more detailed instructions somewhere this thread

I stand corrected. It was a lot easier for me to get the FF shaft, then to have to do that & also get a spur adapter to use spurs other then Losi.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike
For what it's worth I had been struggling with understeer on my R and tried Haynes' Jackson setup and it was DIALED...absolutely the best I've had it working since I started with it this past winter!

Cheers,
Mike
Glad its working for you

Originally Posted by MikeXray
Team Dremel...yea...Larcher you need your pitbox to be full o Losi again
Old 06-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Mike are you running a cut top deck ? Is it worth the work ? This would be for rubber/carpet/17.5 .
Thanks.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have been playing around with this for pavement, but for carpet run a regular deck, it will be fine.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hey everyone.... Just finished the local WA 2010 Winterchampionships here. Qualified 2nd, finished 2nd. Had a bit of trouble with traffice in the finals. Setup is for med-bite rubber carpet w/o traction compound, 10.5 boosted.
Attached Files
Old 06-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Mike Haynes back with Losi?

Hey all: So when did Mike Haynes switch back to losi? Also did the switch have anything to do with the fact that schumacher closed their USA office? Thanks for the info
Old 06-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For the guys running the TC5 diff screw, how are you stopping it going all the way through the diff tube? just running the thrust underneath, or something else to support it?

Cheers
Ed
Old 06-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

So while changing out one of my spindle/hubs because of an oblong hole, when I press the bearing into the new spindle/hub it's very tight. It was like that on the other hubs that I changed but this one seems a bit tighter. It's making the bearing bind slightly on the shaft.

Anyone else notice that with the replacement parts?

Maybe the moulds are wearing down(is that possible?)?
Old 06-24-2010, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike

Cheers,
Mike
You should have seen his vta jrx at the big T&L trophy race a few weeks ago.Looked like it was on rails.

Mike was that a new vta setup or one of the old ones?
I know grip was very high. (burned the tread off all of my tires).

I was using Lia's Jackson rubber setup with Losi springs/shorter rear link and my car had a bad mid corner push.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FREAKAH
So while changing out one of my spindle/hubs because of an oblong hole, when I press the bearing into the new spindle/hub it's very tight. It was like that on the other hubs that I changed but this one seems a bit tighter. It's making the bearing bind slightly on the shaft.

Anyone else notice that with the replacement parts?

Maybe the moulds are wearing down(is that possible?)?
Yep.
Had the same deal with a set a few weeks ago.
I had no bind,just felt things were much tighter.
Just for hell of it,try another set of bearings.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TryHard
For the guys running the TC5 diff screw, how are you stopping it going all the way through the diff tube? just running the thrust underneath, or something else to support it?

Cheers
Ed
I run the thrust towards the center of the diff... ie...
diff screw
blue foam washer
tc5 diff spring
outer thrust washer
ceramic thrust bearing
inner thrust washer

This keeps the thrust bearing flat against diff tube for even pressure and gives the length of the diff spring and screw to move or twist around if something is uneven. I find that a diff built this way is less likely to have tight spots so you can get more mileage out of the same parts which just helps to reduce the cost of racing. I have 4 complete diffs ready to go all the time and keep two for clubbies (older parts) and two for events which use newer parts but these days the difference between them is very small thanks to this setup.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

What's the latest on the spool? Any progress?
Would love to get one in my car soon, second place is the best I can manage at the moment, once I can brake hard for the hairpins i will be all over the leader.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.