Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

This was such a nice place.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I heard the gauntlet hit the floor half way across the country.

Last edited by syndr0me; 08-07-2007 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:14 PM
Tech Legend

Guess Rick is finally getting his Lrp Li-po`s .......
Old 08-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

what happened between howart and Orion?

which lipo battery does howart promote?
Old 08-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SkeeryJones
what happened between howart and Orion?

which lipo battery does howart promote?
What...are you new here? Oh yeah...you are new here...LOL

There's a thread about it in this forum. Just search for his name. (not good form to bring it up here)
Old 08-08-2007, 08:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Rick would be promoting the new company he works for.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leodis
Mr Black,

Is Orion still going to make a "heavy lipo" designed for 1/10 2WD electric offroad?

If so, when do you think it will be made available to the public?
Thanks for the answer and thanks for the other gratuitous/unnecessary info. I'll just hold on to my 4800 until I can replace it with one of Reedy's lipos when they come out.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

2 ?'s

When charging with a proper li-po charger that is set up correctly, can you leave it on charge and forget about it, will the charge stop or amps drop enough that the pack wont heat up too much? is it safe to not have a temp probe on the pack chuck it on charge at 1c and leave it going and duck out to the shops etc....? even tho i know its never safe to leave any battery charging unattended.

like what i meen is with ni-mh's you definatly would not think of doing this without a temp probe on at least, is it diff for li-po's?

Is it any faster to charge at 2c than 1c, since the amps drop near the end?
anyone actually tested this?

my club doesnt allow much time in between heats, & i only have one pack....

is the pack at the same capacity once the amps start to drop at 8.4volts
with 1C or 2C, also is the 8.4v drop point meen the pack is near full capacity?

thanks......
Old 08-10-2007, 06:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I am considering getting one of these batteries for my TRF415MS. I have the stick pack conversion, so I think the LiPo will fit without problems. However, I have a few questions first.

1. I have a Futaba MC330CR ESC, can this ESC handle the LiPo battery without modification? Will it handle the extra voltage?

2. I have a Swallow 2 AC/DC charger. The exact specs state:
a. Capable of charging 1-5 Lithium Ion or Lithium-Polymer cells (type: 3.6V or 3.7V).
b. "Constant Current/Constant Voltage" charge termination method to fully charge Lithium-Ion and Lithium-Polymer batteries. "Constant Current" delivered during the fast charge, when the voltage reaches approximately 4.0V per cell the charger changes to "Constant Voltage". When the current drops below approximately 100mA, the charger stops.
c. 100mAh-5000mAh battery capacity adjustable for Lithium-Ion and Lithium-Polymer batteries (50mAh per step).
d. Total battery voltages of 3.7V, 7.4V, 11.1V, 14.8V and 18.5V (Vpack).

Is this charger okay for LiPo's, or should I get another type of charger. If so, which one?

3. If this charger is okay, my manual says that I can get a LiPo Cell Balancer Voltage Monitor for individual LiPo cells that connects to the charger which shows the voltage of each cell during the balancing procedure. Should I get this?

Any help appreciated.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by LOSI123
2 ?'s

When charging with a proper li-po charger that is set up correctly, can you leave it on charge and forget about it, will the charge stop or amps drop enough that the pack wont heat up too much? is it safe to not have a temp probe on the pack chuck it on charge at 1c and leave it going and duck out to the shops etc....? even tho i know its never safe to leave any battery charging unattended.

like what i meen is with ni-mh's you definatly would not think of doing this without a temp probe on at least, is it diff for li-po's?

Is it any faster to charge at 2c than 1c, since the amps drop near the end?
anyone actually tested this?

my club doesnt allow much time in between heats, & i only have one pack....

is the pack at the same capacity once the amps start to drop at 8.4volts
with 1C or 2C, also is the 8.4v drop point meen the pack is near full capacity?

thanks......

1. yes u can charge and leave it (not recommended but not any more dangerous than charging nimhs), the only problems that occur is if you set the settings on the charger incorrectely, usually the wrong "number of cells" or if you set it to Nimh mode. otherwise when using a charger like the ice, the capacity setting is really irrelevant. its just a safety feature and limits the charge rate to 1C.

2. charging at 2C prob saves about 5 minutes only, if charging at 6amps, once it reached 8.4v at 6amp, the amps do drop down pretty quickly... only takes another 5-10minutes to go from 6amp to 1amp charge rate, and then its already 95% full, thats when i normally stop charging and race with it, coz the last 5% would take another 30minutes.

i use only 1 pack charge at 6amps and have about 30minute turn around time, and run it at about 95% capacity, each 5 minute heat only uses around 1800mah
Old 08-10-2007, 06:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by miccal
I am considering getting one of these batteries for my TRF415MS. I have the stick pack conversion, so I think the LiPo will fit without problems. However, I have a few questions first.

1. I have a Futaba MC330CR ESC, can this ESC handle the LiPo battery without modification? Will it handle the extra voltage?

2. I have a Swallow 2 AC/DC charger. The exact specs state:
a. Capable of charging 1-5 Lithium Ion or Lithium-Polymer cells (type: 3.6V or 3.7V).
b. "Constant Current/Constant Voltage" charge termination method to fully charge Lithium-Ion and Lithium-Polymer batteries. "Constant Current" delivered during the fast charge, when the voltage reaches approximately 4.0V per cell the charger changes to "Constant Voltage". When the current drops below approximately 100mA, the charger stops.
c. 100mAh-5000mAh battery capacity adjustable for Lithium-Ion and Lithium-Polymer batteries (50mAh per step).
d. Total battery voltages of 3.7V, 7.4V, 11.1V, 14.8V and 18.5V (Vpack).

Is this charger okay for LiPo's, or should I get another type of charger. If so, which one?

3. If this charger is okay, my manual says that I can get a LiPo Cell Balancer Voltage Monitor for individual LiPo cells that connects to the charger which shows the voltage of each cell during the balancing procedure. Should I get this?

Any help appreciated.
1. yes any ESC that will work with a 6 cell NIMH will run LIPO cells. there is NOT any "extra" voltage from a LIPO than from a NIMH

2. yes the swallow 2 ac/dc is prob the easiest charger to charge lipos with

3. yes buy an inline balancer is a good idea.

p.s the mc330 is a really crap ESC, the resolution of it is really bad. i.e when you use brake its either no brakes or full brakes, nothing in between.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

1. yes any ESC that will work with a 6 cell NIMH will run LIPO cells. there is NOT any "extra" voltage from a LIPO than from a NIMH
I don't have any kind of diode or anything at the moment, still ok?

2. yes the swallow 2 ac/dc is prob the easiest charger to charge lipos with
So is there anyone with a Swallow 2 to vouch for its LiPo charging ability?

3. yes buy an inline balancer is a good idea.
Any idea where I can find it? The part number is LCB-6C.

p.s the mc330 is a really crap ESC, the resolution of it is really bad. i.e when you use brake its either no brakes or full brakes, nothing in between.
I know, but at the moment I run 540 so I don't use the brake for now. When I move to Stock I am going brushless, so a new ESC will come then.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

anybody tried using the trakpower balancer on the orion packs?
Old 08-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Tech Rookie

hi, guys, I also noticed there is epower Li-poly packs, is it good? frankly to say, I do not think they are good enough..........

if anybody used them www.etangpower.com

Hooooo
Old 08-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

so i just got 2 3200 and wonder should i chase a balancer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.