Wiki Posts
Search

IFMAR AGM in Collegno - Future of ISTC

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
This requires more rules, more tech at races and can open the door to more cheating.

Your suggestion is along the lines of reduce the amps (by limiting winds and timing) to save the motors. You say you want to keep your rip but if you cut timing and increase winds enough to reduce motor heat you will be down to the same wattage output levels as with 4 cell and the performance will be the same. No matter what we will lose some rip. The good think is that we have too much rip and can give some up without reducing the excitement of racing at all.

27T will be a novice class. 19t will be a little faster than stock is now. Mod will be faster than 19T and more drivers will be able to participate in Mod since the learning curve will not be as steep.
my only fear of all of this is that the tigher the restrictions on any class, the more elitist the equipment can become.. like stock now, it will put that much more of an emphasis on premium equipment such as very high voltage batteries.....
Old 07-14-2006, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

I'm going back to off road, it's much simplier... Hahahaha.....

Going to 4 cells can have a very adverse effect on the touring car market. Not that there's a beginer friendly car made anymore.

I'm going to go dig up the "bring back the 1/10th scale pan car" thread...
Old 07-14-2006, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

Here is another question I just realized, why does reducing MOD to 4 cells have to roll over into 19 turn or stock? Keep those as 6 cell and only reduce it in MOD ONLY.

I do agree to what Rick saidf about the stock and 19 turn timing, but I feel that enforcing a full armature also(instead of split or reduced laminate armature) and old school stand up brushes would slow these motors down a lot and keep them way cooler.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

what about the mod racers taken some of it know that they might overheat the esc, blow a wind, un-solder a motor wire if they run a certain gear ratio that they know is too much for the equipment but hope to make it 5 min.

also i think you have to take into consideration that any given track can only hold so much speed and you dont see major lap time changes with with stock to 19t to mod

i was at a race this last weekend that had many US national level drivers in it and the fastest lap times in the A mains stock was 12.6 23 5:01 19t 12.4
24 5:06 and mod 12.7 25 5:10 . . .
Old 07-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Advil
Why can't the people that are smoking their equipment go down one tooth or ease up on the throttle a little?
I agree Art. Running a 19t motor at 5.5 all the time can be detrimental to the length of your equipment's life...

Old 07-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

We keep talking also about 6 cell vs. 4 cell over the last several pages. Is running or testing with a 5 cell pack not a happy medium to shoot for?

Brant
Old 07-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 2-Bad
Jeff,
No explanation needed... you are right.... more Voltage to a motor = more RPM, more current, more temp, more brush burn....
Yeah, I know.

I just wondered the formula that had current drop when voltage was increased. I was not taught that one.

Jeff
Old 07-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Tech Addict

Why can't the people that are smoking their equipment go down one tooth or ease up on the throttle a little?
amen. doesn't matter if the batteries will support too high of a ratio. overgeared is overgeared and it really is that simple.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RussB
amen. doesn't matter if the batteries will support too high of a ratio. overgeared is overgeared and it really is that simple.
But no one wants to implement a gear rule... They want to lob off 2 cells... personally I think it's all to stop LiPo's from coming into the hobby...
Old 07-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What if that tooth is the diffrence between being on pace or the B-main? In all honesty the change required is a lot more than a tooth. Its a change in wire gauge on your 7T, a change in brush spring tension, timing, etc. This change is often the diffrence between victory and anonymity.

Winning is the ultimate goal not just finishing. Second place is first place loser.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
But no one wants to implement a gear rule... They want to lob off 2 cells... personally I think it's all to stop LiPo's from coming into the hobby...
I see you are from Wrong Island

There is no doubt that LiPo is a better energy storage medium than NiMh or NiCd. However, just because LiPo is a better battery dosn't mean its the best battery for all applications. Its failing is its single cell voltage of 3.7v. It dosen't fit well into the world of competative R/C racing. The benifits of LiPo (energy density) would make the issues we are facing today even worse.

The airplane guys are all LiPo now. The boat guys will be soon. They have much larger power requirements than we do and LiPo is perfect for them. They have unlimited motors in size weight and cost. I have a Hacker C50XL that runs great on 37V but it costs $300 and weighs almost 2 lb. No one want to strap that in a car.

Some guys want to make motors better able to survive. Neo magents and an increase in size will do it. Now everyone has to got out and design new cars to accomodate the motor. You all have to go out and buy them and all the new support equipment for them.

You tell me whats easier....re-invent the wheel or drop a cell or two?
Old 07-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
What if that tooth is the diffrence between being on pace or the B-main? In all honesty the change required is a lot more than a tooth. Its a change in wire gauge on your 7T, a change in brush spring tension, timing, etc. This change is often the diffrence between victory and anonymity.

Winning is the ultimate goal not just finishing. Second place is first place loser.
how is it the difference between the a and b main whe the rule would be for everybody, not just one in the field?
Old 07-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

no gear rule. in fact, no new rules at all. ya run what you got and if you overgear you don't finish. if you *have* to overgear to keep up, you're either: running beyond your skill level, or you need to fire your motor guy.

it really is simple folks. it's the way things always have been, just new obstacles to overcome.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you knock the cars down to 4 cell the next generation of TC's will be of no use to anyone but those who race... Do you think a newbie is going to pick up a 4 cell EP car with a stock motor to have it beaten by his buddies tyco car that cost 39.95???
Kinda late with this quote, but its something that has been brought up a few times, and I dont agree with it.

Sport level RTR's come from race cars, so the sport level cars would change as well, manufactuers aren't that stupid. Not to mention that they would probably start to include something like a 13t motor to keep the speed up.

If touring switched to 4cell most likely all of onroad would switch to 4cell, so that would be the new standard for all onroad cars.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by WheelNut
Kinda late with this quote, but its something that has been brought up a few times, and I dont agree with it.

Sport level RTR's come from race cars, so the sport level cars would change as well, manufactuers aren't that stupid. Not to mention that they would probably start to include something like a 13t motor to keep the speed up.

If touring switched to 4cell most likely all of onroad would switch to 4cell, so that would be the new standard for all onroad cars.
And what does that mean for those of us who don't just run on road? Is off road going to follow? How about 5th scale motorcycles?

The rule I like is "No More Rules!"

The current crop of "race cars" emerged from the parking lot bashers of yesterday, not the other way around!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.