Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pros and cons about motor FAN

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What are they cooling the peltiers with? Fans and heatsinks?
Old 07-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

im ordering a fan kit for my corally... it looks freakin awsome and i think it will help a little not enuf to matter though
Old 07-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

they put a heatsink on the peltier and them put a small fan to blow on the heatsink
Old 07-07-2006, 01:32 AM
Tech Adept

This is a subject that has come more to light recently in the UK than before. We are pushing motors harder towards the limit and as such cooling is a must. The 3Racing fans are crap, so many people have said they are weak, and also the fans fins snap easy. Also the way they are wired can be wrong to. The last thing you want is for air to be pushed into the can when you actually want the air to be pulled out (natural airflow from the motor goes outward from the arm). The ideal setup would be

Endbell - Fan located horizontal to endbell pushing cool air into motor.

Can - Fan located and set to pull air away from the can and upwards away from any other cooling fan

The setup in the picture on the last page nigh on perfect. Getting the fan located over the endbell can be a bit fun though, finding 2.5mm machine screws that are long enough can be a task, but once found you can decrease the overall end-run temp by about 3-5 degrees. May not seem much but that overall can give you more punch overall the duration of your race.

One other thing to consider is the use of a 40mm fan rather then the 30's . Though these are bigger, they are actually thinner in width so can slide into locations the small one's cannot. Im currently adapting some servo posts so I can mount one on my Mi2EC ready for a possible hot run outdoors in the UK STCC. Once done i'll post some pics up
Old 07-07-2006, 02:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Best fans I have found is the Associated double pack. Point these fans blowing at your endbell and your motor will come off much cooler. if you want your moitor any cooler wire the fans to 7.2volts instead of plugging them into your receiver.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Guo Chean
nowaday you guy can used a small lipo cell to power your 1 or 4 fan in one short no matter how many fan you put it also wont suck so you battery power. you fan will be more high speed becasue lipo have higher voltage

Hi Geo Chean,

Is the fan directly wired into the lipo packs? (no regulator, no switch) And what capacity is the lipo pack (200, 300, 800+mah)???

Many thanks.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The Much More fans are really good. Better than the Novak clear case ones. The idea behind the motor cooling fan is not to necessarily cool down the motor but to keep the wires from un-soldering. Running 7 turns in 100 degree weather at the recent on-road nats in Roseville was necessary. Every driver in the A-Main of Mod had fans. Some had two or three and none were concerned with dumping.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

can we get picks of the mini peltier??
i had this idea but looks like some one beat me to production
cheers, Josh
Old 07-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aus jd 2703
can we get picks of the mini peltier??
i had this idea but looks like some one beat me to production
cheers, Josh
What exactly was your idea? Running a peltier that is big enough to freeze the motor or substantially cool it is much too big and requires to much power (5-10A @ 12-15v) Anything less you are better using fans which are simpler, lighter, and much less battery intensive.
I have thought about this as well a while ago, using micro sized peltiers on the motor during a run. But even though they are small, they still draw a large current (8A for a good chill) and need to be cooled themselves. After all the extra equipment you have to mount on the car, it's not going to do you much good.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

How about this ....

You might interested .... All it needs is just a good heatsink ...
http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
Old 07-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by akuhon
How about this ....

You might interested .... All it needs is just a good heatsink ...
http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
What about it? It's just thermal compound, which simply helps make heat transfer more efficient. It basically acts as a heat transfer substance between two objects (metal)
Old 07-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XrayFK
What exactly was your idea? Running a peltier that is big enough to freeze the motor or substantially cool it is much too big and requires to much power (5-10A @ 12-15v) Anything less you are better using fans which are simpler, lighter, and much less battery intensive.
I have thought about this as well a while ago, using micro sized peltiers on the motor during a run. But even though they are small, they still draw a large current (8A for a good chill) and need to be cooled themselves. After all the extra equipment you have to mount on the car, it's not going to do you much good.
me too... thought about building a mini on-board cooler..using a clip-on heatsink and fan. I've seen the mini coolers on Ebay and runs on 5v.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peltier-Junction...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

The biggest effect you will see from the fans is to cool the brushes and comm. Point at least one fan there. The gain you will see from trying to cool the can will be minimal at best.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rc-zombies
me too... thought about building a mini on-board cooler..using a clip-on heatsink and fan. I've seen the mini coolers on Ebay and runs on 5v.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peltier-Junction...QQcmdZViewItem
Yeah, they are small enough. But a couple things. First 4-6 watts is pretty weak, also they need around 5-8A depending on the model, I don't of any small lipo packs that are capable of delivering that current. You could use micro NiMH cells, but those are a lot heavier, so you're not helping anything with weight.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:39 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Has anyone seen the new Integy most coling fan and heatsinks? Are those worth anything. I can't use that setup in TCS, but would be nice for practice and other tracks.

Does anyone sell an endbell motor fan setup kit? I am running the Checkpoint Money motor if that matters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.