Search

Why are so many leaving the hobby?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Why ?

Its not fun racing on a big-O-parking lot with a spec motor...
I think that it's important to note that for experienced racers, racing on a big ol parking lot track (or just about any other track) with a spec motor shouldn't be so much "fun". The faster classes are where the experienced racers are supposed to be.

Our slowest class "stock" shouldn't be where the experienced and competitive racers should be. It should be where the new racers and "hobbyist" racers are. All of the competitive racers should be in the faster classes.

You'll never get the "fast guys" or the extremely competitive racers out of stock until you slow it to the point where there is no prestige in winning a stock race. We can't force people to run a certain class but we can set the classes so that they help people make the decision to move up. And no it doesn't have anything to do with sponsorships. It has everything to do with stock racers that refuse to give the new racers a chance to learn. Add to that the fact that stock onroad (especially sedan) is so fast that novice racers break each run and you have a recipe for not keeping new racers.

Getting racers to all agree on a class or set of rules is like herding cats. That's why we need the leadership/sanctioning body (AKA ROAR) to set the rules so that they make sense. Seperate the speeds more and people will find a class that makes sense for them.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by or8ital
You are way out in left field if you think a free market is the problem with the economy and its a bad thing. A free market when left alone is self correcting.
Conventional thought would place me more in right-center, actually. The invisible hand that guides the economy fixes many things, but there are downfalls to a free market as well. This thread and the talk of RC becoming too expensive would not exist otherwise.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

school is also a major reason also sports
Old 09-09-2008, 11:40 PM
Tech Addict

i think many people are leaving the hobby because they dont have time .
i.e i go to people that go to scholl dont really have time come back late like 5 oclock then do your work until 7 pm then revise your work then diner all this takes time i think its because of this you dont have time to go practise at your local track that is 30 mins away from you.

I dont think its because of the expexse because if you save money abit every time you will be able to buy your self a TA05 ( very good starting car that you can upgrade slowly and the upgrades arent very expensive ) or get yourself a cyclone WCE from ebay used but like new for cheap like 150 $.

what i was wondering is how can elliot harper practise if he goes to school.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 131 (100%+)

Cyclone-

Time is the exact reason i dont race.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

rc racing really isn't that expensive. at least at the club level. Competing at the national level with no sponsors is a totally different deal. However even then it isn't killer. Figure what... a big race week/weekend costs you some where around 2large?

I just came off a 10 year RC hiatus (I quit before i went to undergrad) Now that I've been out in the real world after school and whatnot I decided to get back in. Mainly because I was sick of spending 500 a month on tires to do track days with my real car. So Rc seems pretty dang cheap compared to track days with my mini.

At any rate cost is self imposed in this hobby. For roughly $1,000 in hardware (start to finish) you can be competitive on the club level and even possibly put yourself in B, C main in 13.5 or stock at the national level. What's funny is some people spend tons of money on cars and upgrade every year, but it's just simply not necessary. At best a significan't hardware upgrade is going to net you .5 seconds a lap and that's generous. Typically that can be made up with driving consistancy and a new diff etc etc. I will conceed that trying to keep up with the pro's is a game of every little bit counts... but for 99% of us, you can still be running on a 415 or xray 007 and do just fine.

I think that it's most likely that movement in and out of this hobby right now is split 50/50 between external and internal driving forces. On one hand people are leary of switching technology to brushless and lipo... combine that with classing problems when you try to go from track to track and national race to national race and things are a pita. Also there is the economical driving forces. Not so much the physical cost of the cars and parts but the adjustable costs of people having to work more, gas getting more expensive etc etc.

only time will tell... but rc racing has always gone through ups and downs. Lets hope this is just a short term temporary down.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by minimusprime
rc racing really isn't that expensive. at least at the club level. Competing at the national level with no sponsors is a totally different deal. However even then it isn't killer. Figure what... a big race week/weekend costs you some where around 2large?

I just came off a 10 year RC hiatus (I quit before i went to undergrad) Now that I've been out in the real world after school and whatnot I decided to get back in. Mainly because I was sick of spending 500 a month on tires to do track days with my real car. So Rc seems pretty dang cheap compared to track days with my mini.

At any rate cost is self imposed in this hobby. For roughly $1,000 in hardware (start to finish) you can be competitive on the club level and even possibly put yourself in B, C main in 13.5 or stock at the national level. What's funny is some people spend tons of money on cars and upgrade every year, but it's just simply not necessary. At best a significan't hardware upgrade is going to net you .5 seconds a lap and that's generous. Typically that can be made up with driving consistancy and a new diff etc etc. I will conceed that trying to keep up with the pro's is a game of every little bit counts... but for 99% of us, you can still be running on a 415 or xray 007 and do just fine.

I think that it's most likely that movement in and out of this hobby right now is split 50/50 between external and internal driving forces. On one hand people are leary of switching technology to brushless and lipo... combine that with classing problems when you try to go from track to track and national race to national race and things are a pita. Also there is the economical driving forces. Not so much the physical cost of the cars and parts but the adjustable costs of people having to work more, gas getting more expensive etc etc.

only time will tell... but rc racing has always gone through ups and downs. Lets hope this is just a short term temporary down.
your correct , rc racing isnt really expensive you dont need the best stuff to win i.e a guy at my local track won the a main with a TC3 that was 2 years old and with brushed and 5 cell GP cells that were 25 pounds against people that had a cyclone T2008 super orion sho 60 pounds a pack etc ...
I try to go to my local track to practise every week even if i have school because rc racing is great and i love it.I think time is really the problem
Old 09-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I am new to 1/10 TC. I think people are leaving TC is because of the cost. BL system, chassis, pinions, servos, tires. It adds up. $28 for a box of AE springs? $60 for an ITF main chassis for asphalt?

But I managed to get a used TC5 for $150 in great condition. Buying on this forum used really cuts down on cost.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I had a dulling moment a couple of days ago.

My 1:1 Camero has needed a motor for a year. I look on Craigs List and see 350s that have a little build on them even, for $500 and I think it's too expensive !!

The numbing started as I looked over my toy bench to see 4 cars, 3 of them are $500 kits for a chassis with no wheels.............................

RC racing is an addiction in an age of recovery.......................

I tried withdrawing to a cheaper class; still doesn't work as I need to spend on the good bits,

I went cold turkey in 1998 on a blind turn, to fall back in ther sack one day 5 years later when I smelled Paragon on a geezer I work with and he took me to the local track in Salem.

Now I have some feelings about the issue as that Camero is a creamer to drive.....

Bugger it all, one fix to another !!

Jacko
Old 09-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Victor Vector
RC racing is an addiction in an age of recovery.......................

You've hit the nail on the head! That explains all of the threads like this one. Our favorite drug is getting too hard to afford/spend time on. Some are sobering up...others are spiraling deeper into addiction

Personally...I've relapsed
Old 09-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Battery strapping tape $20? It's stuff like this that bugs me. There has to be a place to get this cheaper.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanzo3
Battery strapping tape $20? It's stuff like this that bugs me. There has to be a place to get this cheaper.
Yeah! However at my track we have LARGE roles for $2.50...where they should be! We have to stop paying for things like "Parma Pro Servo Tape" (rebadged 3M tape) for $6 when you can go buy the orginal for $2.99 at Home Depot.

There are different grades of strapping tape...check places like U-Line.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanzo3
dude its $4 at your local hardware store. Its used to tape box's.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree about it being an addiction. I quit in the late 80's due to the cost being too great, even at club level. About 4 years ago I bought a used nitro car just to mess around with and I got hooked again. Now I race TC every week at a club not too far away, and last week my 5 year old boy raced for the first time.

I do agree that costs must be standardised but at our club it's a case of run what you bring, no limits. I would like to see the vintage trans am class in the UK, or something similar to raise interest and keep a class low cost.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
You are way out in left field if you think a free market is the problem with the economy and its a bad thing. A free market when left alone is self correcting.
...and apparently, you're one of those people that got your economics education from bumper stickers. If you read the rest of what the "fathers" of market theory had to say about the the pitfalls of capitalism, you might not sound so dogmatic.

It's like assuming that latex paint will cover in one coat...and complaining loudly when it doesn't...when you didn't actually read the directions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.