Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ft tc4 gearing

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 07:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default ft tc4 gearing

ok i am new to rc racing and i don't know what pinion to put with my factory spur gear(i think that is is a 48P 72T spur) i have heard different opinions, so i don't know what to believe so i will ask some people that will know, i have a checkpoint 15X2 motor that we run on a medium length track with foams. can someone point me in the right direction. someone said that i should lose the 48p 72T spur and get another pitch so that it will be smoother, is this true?
Thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

don't know about the pitch issue, but i found that the graph at the back of the manual was almost spot on in relation to a starting point.

Just a matter of starting there and moving up or down depending on what you need and the conditions.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:19 AM
Tech Addict

or you can go to gearchart.com
Old 06-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Tech Adept

Don't worry about the pitch, 48dp is absolutely fine and changing wouldn't benefit you much. It depends a lot on your individual track, motor etc as to exactly what pinion you run. On a medium length track, probably something between 24-28t would be a good starting point.

Ask other drivers at your club what gear ratio they use. You can work out your tc4 ratio by doing: (teeth on spur/teeth on pinion)*2.5. The 2.5 bit is the 'internal ratio' on the tc4 that is created by the different sized gears in the transmission cases. A smaller pinion will give you a higher number gear ratio, and will increase the cars acceleration, but lower the top speed.

HTH,

Ralph
Old 06-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Tech Addict

Cool opion on pinon

i run like a 28,29 depending on track size ? 48p is fine, takes more of a beating.... lmao
Old 06-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

it is a medium track, but it changes everyweek from a medium to short then shot to medium track, any brands suggested?
Old 06-02-2006, 02:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by andy_b22
any brands suggested?
If you mean pinions, they're all pretty similar. You wont notice the difference between a cheap and expensive 48dp pinion, any weight difference is minimal.