Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corally SP12X

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Tech Adept

If anyone is coming to the carpet nats with their 12x, stop by the Corally pits...Jeff and I will be there and happy to chat, help or just say hi. You can bring your RDX too, but I can't help with that Jeff can, though!

Last edited by Larry Brown; 03-07-2008 at 05:00 AM. Reason: left out word
Old 03-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Tech Adept

One day i'll have the money to do some international races and hopefully meet some of you corally people

always been a huge corally fan. Had quite a bit of success with the 12x front end. Just recently purchased a crc prostrut front end to bolt on the sp12x and try just to see what it is like, first race with it will be this weekend.

I've gone from SP12G3 > SP12M > SP12X. i wonder what my next pro12 will be
Old 03-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Tech Adept

drivingpro-

Congrats on the successes with Corally. I've heard NZ is a great place, so maybe we'll see you there first.

Let us know how the CRC front end works. Marc Fisher used it in 2007 to TQ and win Snowbirds, I believe. Are you racing asphalt, carpet or both?
Old 03-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Larry Brown
drivingpro-

Congrats on the successes with Corally. I've heard NZ is a great place, so maybe we'll see you there first.

Let us know how the CRC front end works. Marc Fisher used it in 2007 to TQ and win Snowbirds, I believe. Are you racing asphalt, carpet or both?
Hi Larry -

I have the CRC Front End on mine. I'll show it to you when you're here for the carpet nats.

It works great! Very smooth.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Tech Adept

drivingpro-

NZ is a very great place, but don't expect to be using any tyre additives if you ever race here.

I've decided to focus on asphalt, as our local indoor racing only runs 4 minute pro12 races with very unpredictable astro turf type stuff as the surface. I went for a test today at the local asphalt track, and it was going brilliantly with the crc front end, using crc magenta fronts (same compound as to what I was using with the 12x front end). I'm so used to how accessible everything is on the 12x front end, that I had to think to myself that there must be a more simple way to adjust the ride height on the crc front end.

I'm getting a lot less double steer through sweepers, more on power steering with the crc front end, and seems more predictable into corners. but i'm lacking a lot of off power steering compared to the 12x front end, i'm sure i'll be able to tune it out though.

Race day tomorrow, Time to break my personal record (and hopefully track record) I should have some footage , so you can get some idea what NZ racing is like at a club level.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Tech Adept

I have the CRC Front End on mine. I'll show it to you when you're here for the carpet nats.
Thanks. Did you have an AE style front end first, and if so, what differences did you find between the AE and the CRC?

Jeff ran the AE style at 'birds and it was really good, but we're always looking for anything to improve.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks. Did you have an AE style front end first, and if so, what differences did you find between the AE and the CRC?

Jeff ran the AE style at 'birds and it was really good, but we're always looking for anything to improve.
Nope - I went straight from the Corally front end to the CRC...
Old 03-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by drivingpro
NZ is a very great place, but don't expect to be using any tyre additives if you ever race here.

I've decided to focus on asphalt, as our local indoor racing only runs 4 minute pro12 races with very unpredictable astro turf type stuff as the surface. I went for a test today at the local asphalt track, and it was going brilliantly with the crc front end, using crc magenta fronts (same compound as to what I was using with the 12x front end). I'm so used to how accessible everything is on the 12x front end, that I had to think to myself that there must be a more simple way to adjust the ride height on the crc front end.

I'm getting a lot less double steer through sweepers, more on power steering with the crc front end, and seems more predictable into corners. but i'm lacking a lot of off power steering compared to the 12x front end, i'm sure i'll be able to tune it out though.

Race day tomorrow, Time to break my personal record (and hopefully track record) I should have some footage , so you can get some idea what NZ racing is like at a club level.
Results? Video?
Old 03-10-2008, 04:24 AM
Tech Adept

Was a messy final for others with a lot of crashes (which is unusual) I managed to get a clean run and took the win, with another 12x coming in 2nd. I did 22 laps, my first meet with the new reedy PT 10x2 motor, and my motor was bearly warm after the final, so i'm going to crank the timing up a bit and hopefully do a 23 lapper next meeting. ( i was about 6 seconds off)

here's the vid of my 12x with the crc front end in the final. I love the 12x diff how i can just plant it off the line while others have to ease it on

http://www.rcracer.co.nz/videos/NHRC...ro12_Final.wmv

P.S i'm not the guy at the end of the vid haha, forgot to edit that out... but i'll just leave it in there

Last edited by drivingpro; 03-10-2008 at 04:37 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by drivingpro
Was a messy final for others with a lot of crashes (which is unusual) I managed to get a clean run and took the win, with another 12x coming in 2nd. I did 22 laps, my first meet with the new reedy PT 10x2 motor, and my motor was bearly warm after the final, so i'm going to crank the timing up a bit and hopefully do a 23 lapper next meeting. ( i was about 6 seconds off)

here's the vid of my 12x with the crc front end in the final. I love the 12x diff how i can just plant it off the line while others have to ease it on

http://www.rcracer.co.nz/videos/NHRC...ro12_Final.wmv

P.S i'm not the guy at the end of the vid haha, forgot to edit that out... but i'll just leave it in there

Great video, and congrats on the win!
Old 03-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Tech Regular

i noticed that when the sp12x comes in brand new, the diff is rather gritty and not smooth at all.. any tips and tricks on how to rebuild it?
Old 03-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bigbutstupid
i noticed that when the sp12x comes in brand new, the diff is rather gritty and not smooth at all.. any tips and tricks on how to rebuild it?
I don't believe the factory assembly includes a good break-in procedure. We always rebuild before using.

The biggest thing is to make sure everything is clean and degreased (we use motor spray) prior to assembly, ESPECIALLY the O-ring (inspect to make sure it is not damaged or flattened with age) and the axle flange groove where it sits. Install O-ring with a lint free cloth since the oil on your fingers may be enough to cause slippage.

Just a VERY small amount of silicone diff grease on each ball after cleaning and degreasing. Sand the diff rings with 600 grit paper, clean and degrease, and assemble per instructions. Take care not to get any oil from your fingers on rings or balls.

Break in slowly by tightening the diff nut until the rings JUST begin to drag on the balls. Then alternately hold one wheel and the spur gear while turning the other wheel, perhaps 6 or 8 revolutions each direction. This process seats the balls on the rings. Then tighten the diff nut just a little, no more than a few degrees, and repeat. Eventually (expect to spend 10 or 15 minutes minimum on break-in) the assembly will be tight to the point that you cannot make the spur gear slip and the diff action will be smooth with very little drag.

When done properly, the Corally diff is as good or better than any.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:00 AM
Tech Adept

The 12x did VERY well at the ROAR carpet nats in all 3 classes. I'll be posting Jeff's setup (very fast, bad luck in 3rd and 4th qualifiers kept him out of top 3 after running TQ pace) when I have more time. I know some of what the other racers were running if you have questions.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Jeff's car looked hooked up in the final heat. Just bad luck. But it was fast for sure.

Thanks again for everything Larry
Old 03-18-2008, 06:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

The 12x did VERY well at the ROAR carpet nats in all 3 classes. I'll be posting Jeff's setup (very fast, bad luck in 3rd and 4th qualifiers kept him out of top 3 after running TQ pace) when I have more time. I know some of what the other racers were running if you have questions.

Pssst..... Pssst... SHHHHHhhh (Very Quietly) Hey Larry... I'm lookin' for a good pit man..... is Jeff Payin' you enough?

You're hired if you're lookin' to jump ship.

LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.