Soldering Irons and Stations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Soldering Irons and Stations

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 07:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I get the mega spool 60/40 rosin core from Radio Shack.

Bill: you'd be suprised how the 908 handle isn't that 'large' you might want to look at one ,if you haven't, before you buy both.

tinning before and after every solder is one key..another is when you are done soldering add solder to the every part of the tip and let it sit on each part until it doesn't bubble anymore, then wipe tip tin and move to another part till the whole tip doesn't bubble. Then turn iron off and keep adding a bubble of solder to the tip until is too cool. The nice bubble will protect the tip and come right off next time all clean and shiny.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

907 and 908 are the same handle with different metal pieces to accomodate different size tips. The big chisel tip (that fits in the 908 iron only) is perfect for pretty much all RC-related soldering IMO.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:28 PM
jas
Tech Apprentice

My soldering tools and stuff. The iron has a fairly large (5mm) round slanted tip, I figured that gives plenty of contact area on the battery bar. And I am also getting a chisel type tip. Not sure which type will work better.
Attached Thumbnails Soldering Irons and Stations-goot_s.jpg  
Old 05-12-2006, 06:07 AM
Tech Master

the absolute best iron is the JBC Iron from howard electronics. very small yet very powerful. we use those in the rework station at Fusion. Ask anyone who has seen it work and you will know what I mean. Big problem is the cost.... about 450 tips last forever as they are only hot while you work. as soon as you put it in the cradle it cools to 200 degrees. As soon as you pick it up it is 750 within two seconds.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jas
My soldering tools and stuff. The iron has a fairly large (5mm) round slanted tip, I figured that gives plenty of contact area on the battery bar. And I am also getting a chisel type tip. Not sure which type will work better.
where can i get this stuff?