Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tub Cyclone `S`

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

basically, by the time you finish upgrading this car with the 'essentials', you're awfully close to the spec racer.

might as well buy a used cyclone TC for $250
Old 09-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Tech Rookie

TC4racer, I have been racing the cyclone s for a year now, and with a little set up time, it a very good racer. I currently enjoy the novice sportsman class,
running 13.5 brushless, and can beat all others in my class (tc5,tc4,xray and
one corally. I'm not real big on aluminum parts, but the carbon upgrade C-hubs are the single best upgrade i made so far. I'm waiting on my spool to arrive though. this is a very good parking lot racer, not tryed carpet yet
hope this helps.
Oh, btw all the info here is great and i cant believe the are over 900 posts just for this one car. and i will say that this has helped me out a lot
thanks to all...
Old 09-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Unfortunately, a lot of cars can do good in parking lot racing.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ZEe_NYC
Unfortunately, a lot of cars can do good in parking lot racing.
If a car can handle a parking lot, it should be even better on a prepped race surface. The Cyclone S can be competitive right out of the box. There is no need to run out and slap a bunch on aluminum parts on the car to try and make it faster. Good driving beats shinny aluminum every time.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MonkeyFist
If a car can handle a parking lot, it should be even better on a prepped race surface. The Cyclone S can be competitive right out of the box. There is no need to run out and slap a bunch on aluminum parts on the car to try and make it faster. Good driving beats shinny aluminum every time.
wow your really against aluminum parts aren't you? lol. no offense. I beleive a both really good driving, and the right parts will make you fast
Old 09-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Monkey: nobody is denying that driving effort is far more important than equiptment.

If you want to upgrade to a front spool on the tub 's', you not only need to buy the spool, but upgrade belts, pulleys, etc. By te time you're done, you're close to $100.

Get my point?
Old 09-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I've never bought a touring car new, I've been looking at the cyclone s for a few weeks now as it's getting close to retire the t2. I've read quite a few pages on here about it and really haven't seen any opinions about this car as a carpet racer. It'd be used in a stock sedan 17.5/27t class with rubber tires. I'm still new to on road so I wouldn't really be e pecting to much out of it anyways. One question too, on the first pageof this thread it says it doesn't come with spur or pinion, is that correct? I'm basically wantng a car my 64p pinions will work with and all I need to do is move my esc, motor and servo over and go race. Is this true? Do I still need to get a spur gear for this car??
Old 09-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

According to the manual it comes with a 96 Tooth 64p spur.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MonkeyFist
I don't know that this is exactly true. The flex that you get from the tub chassis and arms lends itself to lower traction situations where on a prepped surface (generally higher traction) that may be overkill. Like anything it is a fine line that must be walked with regards to chassis setup and driving.

I think the conversation regarding aluminum is interesting. The real problem that I can see with aluminum is that if it bends where a plastic or carbon reinforced part would break you could have a ill handling car and not even realize that is what is wrong. I can see both sides of the argument regarding it. I personally would rather break the part than bend it and have a tweaked car.

I think the car is a great car. Not many cars have a upgrade path like this one does. It is versatile and when setup well can keep up with any other car on the market. That is important to me as I don't have to invest a large amount of money to have fun and run with others who want the carbon fiber and aluminum hopups.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

basically, by the time you finish upgrading this car with the 'essentials', you're awfully close to the spec racer.

might as well buy a used cyclone TC for $250
Do you really think these upgrades are absolutely necessary? I'm still on the fence about the cyclone s and would hate to not be competitive with the car without the upgrades. If that's the case, i'd rather just save for another month and a half and get the tc instead. I'm still a beginner so I don't know if these upgrades would be that necessary for me but I'd rather hear from someone that owns the car.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Won with my Cyclone S again at the Mazdacup 2009 this weekend for 17.5 A-Main against a couple of team drivers. With stock Diffs front and back, dogbones, and stock silver springs.

Car is definitely competitive in any level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JCtN6JD-KU
Old 09-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Andy, i'm in the fence, as well. i'm not saying tat upgrades are essential; but after a while... you're gonna want certain things. like, let's say, CVD's instead of plain dogbones. you're looking at $25 per set. if you want to run LiPo's (correctly, not hacked), the HPI/HB upgrade is $50 for a piece of carbon and a piece of aluminum.

Charlie... you're the man. =)
Old 09-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by charlie_b
Won with my Cyclone S again at the Mazdacup 2009 this weekend for 17.5 A-Main against a couple of team drivers. With stock Diffs front and back, dogbones, and stock silver springs.

Seems like the car performs great on the asphalt, but what about carpet? There's no asphalt racing around here, it's all carpet.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlie_b

Verrrry nice. What kind of hop ups/ electrics are in that thing?
Old 09-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Andy, i'm in the fence, as well. i'm not saying tat upgrades are essential; but after a while... you're gonna want certain things. like, let's say, CVD's instead of plain dogbones. you're looking at $25 per set. if you want to run LiPo's (correctly, not hacked), the HPI/HB upgrade is $50 for a piece of carbon and a piece of aluminum.

Charlie... you're the man. =)
Well, I think you might have just made my mind up for me. I didn't realize to run lipo you have to hack the car up. I've already done that once and would prefer not to do that again! I didn't realize that a lipo wouldn't fit without cutting the car up or buying a $50 part. That puts you at 210-220 right there alone. Realistically with towers coupon it'd only be around $100 more for the tc so I might just wait. Are there any hard case lipos that will fit withut hacking the car up or buying additional parts? I know the orions are not that tall nor are the smc 24c packs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.