Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TC3 Assembly Tips, Factory Team Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

John, what type of problems are you guys having with the irs pins in the axles when running a oneway or locked diff?
Old 03-21-2003, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Oneways and locked diffs put a huge amount of stress on the dogbones, pins and outdrives. You will get wear no matter what... The IRS pin cushions almost act as a sacrifical piece to accept wear. It is much cheaper to replace the pin cushions then replace the outdrive wear.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The IRS pin cushions tend to get cut in half by the locked diff outdrives. The pins tend to bend. I aggree that they act as a fuse to protect the other parts.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

I have used the combination of IRS dogbones, pin cushions and front spool running modified on carpet with foams. This is probably the highest stress situation. The pin cushions will wear but are replacable. I am almost certain that metal pins would groove the outdrive real bad. Metal pins are not an option in my opinion.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Does anyone make a blade-style pin (similar to Schumacher) where it contacts the diff outdrive? Seems to me it would last longer... although the added friction caused by the extra surface area of the blade in the diff outdrive slot has been known to reduce suspension oscillation on-power in offroad vehicles. (less traction) Just a thought...
- Dave
Old 03-21-2003, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

ya i would much rather replace the pin cushions for 5 bucks for 4 then replace the outdrives at 30.00 a pair.

davew-xray uses the blade style pin cushions but im not sure if they will fit the regular tc3 dogbones. ill check.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I am looking for some good setups for stock touring car with rubber tires on carpet. I have tried several different ones and have yet to go as fast as I did with my XXX-S. Any and all setup reccomendations are appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 03-23-2003, 11:02 PM
Tech Master

Dave,

Is this what you're looking for?
www.niftech.com
They're not cheap though.

Good luck.
Pizza
Attached Thumbnails TC3 Assembly Tips, Factory Team Kit-niftechtc3bones.jpg  
Old 03-24-2003, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Crash-ProtoPilot posted a carpet setup on this thread 01/27/2003 2:42. About page 4.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Pizza... youre right man... they arent cheap! They might be well worth the dinero though. Thanks for the look-out man.
- Dave
Old 03-24-2003, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Default IRS Front Spool, Locked Diff

I tried the IRS spool in the front of the TC3 on the indoor asphalt at ReflexRC. I tried it first with my setup for the one-way. I did not have enough corner entry steering traction (turn in). I changed the front spring from blue to silver, all else the same. Felt good. Setup is the same as I have listed on page one of this thread except with silver front springs. Turned the rear droop screws down 1/4 turn to remove some rear droop. Felt better. The only problem that remains is the rear got a little loose on the last couple of laps on my practice packs. Power was down at this point so I don't think this will be a problem in a race. If it happens in a race the cure is to move weight back a little. I think I will drill and countersink two new holes for the servo and transponder to move it back a little so that the ballstud on the servo horn will go forward rather than backward. Moving the 6 cell pack back is too much weight on the back. Over four ounces extra on the back. 2 -3 ounces more weight on the back with body off seemed to be about right on the Losi with a locked diff. I'm at 1 ounces more on the back right now.

Handling was good. I could actually run a tighter line on a couple of turns. Acceleration, which was already good, was just a little faster than with the one-way. This is the main benefit which comes mostly from the lightweight parts of the spool compared to a oneway.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 03-26-2003 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:21 PM
Tech Adept

What would be a negative on the Spool? You probably can't tell wear yet, but could that be an issue? What would make me want to buy that over a one way(I just have a regular diff right now)
Old 03-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Sorry to jump around in topics but going back to what Mike D said about setting tweak (or weight bias).

I also had the problem of a leaning chassis, I had the weight bias the same and the car handled very well (need to work on my driving more ), but i just dont like the idea of the chassis leaning.

Mike says to set the front left and the right rear the same preload (i.e. same spacers/turns on the shock) and then set the other shocks accordingly. Is this a correct interpretation, and do I need to compensate for the extra spacers in the rear shocks (i.e. droop)?

any extra clarification would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 03-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Associated Racer- The negatives on the spool is that it eats front bones or if you use the IRS bones then the pins and pinpillows in the outdrive. The wear on the pin holes in the CVD cups are also accelerated. On the Losi I got about 1-2 seconds faster race times with the spool in stock from the lighter weight. For reliability reasons I had not tried the locked diff on the TC3 yet. Since the one-ways are hard to get right now, I thought I would develop a setup for the locked diff, before I had to use it because of parts breakage on my now unavailable oneway.

Nabman20-If your chassis is leaning then the ride height is not set correctly. Say the left side is low turn the collars down on the front and back of the left side the same amount to raise this side of the chassis. Use the height gauge to reset the height on this side. Once you have the height set then its off to the tweak station. I described how to set tweak earlier in this thread. Setting Tweak

droop adjustments will not affect the tweak or ride height, that is if you have some droop, which you should.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 03-25-2003 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:26 PM
Tech Adept

If I could get a one way, and I could get a spool also, what would you recommend I do? My driving style: I like a lot of steering, and never need to brake cause I race stock. Would one ways help with push?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.