Old 10-06-2023, 04:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just ordered mine!
RacinJ and bentouttashape like this.
Old 10-06-2023, 04:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I started the build last night and got rear assembled and front started. So far really nice quality kit with regards to fit and finish.

The instruction manual is well done and great illustrations.

Only hiccup to date is front screw for bumper really should be 1mm shorter as they just about touch carbon lower arm.

Front end will go together over next day and will report back.
dawgmeat, RacinJ, choisan and 4 others like this.
Old 10-06-2023, 03:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

So far I'm pretty impressed with the design. I had feared that the car could be heavy. Right now it is 50g under weight. So I'm needing to find places to stick some weight
RacinJ, nik77356 and gwhiz like this.
Old 10-06-2023, 04:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by hanulec
So far I'm pretty impressed with the design. I had feared that the car could be heavy. Right now it is 50g under weight. So I'm needing to find places to stick some weight
That's wonderful news! I know the Evo2 chassis made the car pretty heavy, so it's great to hear the new car isn't quite as heavy.
Old 10-07-2023, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Car is complete and overall very nice build. Few small detail could be improved other than the afore mentioned shorter bumper screws.

Getting oring on rear bearing is a pia and need 3 hands. Little 3d print tool would be nice addition to kit to easily stretch oring over bearing.

Front kingpin could use a slightly better surface finish but can easily be polished. I used my old standby for kingpin lube of Losi Smart Grease and feels pretty smooth but dampening on heavy side. When using something thinner like 5k the surface finish will need to be improved on kingpin to get smooth "feeling" on bench.

Shock bushing for shaft does have a little friction but still operates nicely just not that butter smooth feel.

Few mini tubes of lube and oil would be nice to compete build but most racers have this stuff...just pet peeve when kits don't include any type of required lube.

Does all this matter....probably not.

If using sanwa servo I would recommend getting one of the sagami/srf servo saver adapter and sagami/srf sanwa carbon spacer. It will get bump steer more normal range without crazy spacers on steering knuckle ball stud.

https://srf-online-store.com/product...a90f09a4&_ss=r

https://srf-online-store.com/product...5e88ddef&_ss=r

I would think sagami fab/srf should also be coming out with 3d printed bumper in near future. The foam bumper is so....2020 hahah.
choisan, hanulec and simple like this.

Last edited by J.Gonzalez; 10-07-2023 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-07-2023, 08:53 PM
Tech Regular

I asked Vesa about the side springs being in a different location than that of a traditional car and this is what he told me. He’s been great about answering questions.
DavidNERODease likes this.
Old 10-08-2023, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeO
asked Vesa about the side springs being in a different location than that of a traditional car and this is what he told me. He’s been great about answering questions.
That's interesting. So he describes that it should work the same as with the spring on the bottom of the cross brace, so it clearly wasn't designed with a performance enhancement in mind. What he says about inline battery is correct that there will be a little less chassis side roll so side springs will not be as sensitive. But I still cannot get my head wrapped around using a spring from the other side of the car to control compression. Put any link car on the table and compress one side of the car about 1mm to simulate chassis movement in a corner. The outside spring compresses and the inside spring doesn't move. In actuality, the car on track may even try to lift a little on the inside of the car. I am curious to see one of these in person.

Maybe the side springs will pretty much only control tweak in a straight line? Corraly didn't use side springs at all for the longest time. All of the side weight was controlled by the front springs/crossbar.

Last edited by MC Hamilton; 10-09-2023 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-08-2023, 10:32 AM
Tech Addict

Can anyone confirm yet whether a standard 1/12 servo will fit? I know the manual states to use a Sanwa or PowerHD servo, but wondering if a standard servo without mounting wings will fit.
Old 10-09-2023, 06:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

my greatest bit of feedback is "don't be cheap" with the polishing compound on the king pins. I polished the kingpins and upon final setup work I saw one of the two kingpins sticking still slightly. so i then used an excessive amount of mothers polish to resolve the one kingpin.

other build points-
  • be careful on how tight you make the "left hub" locking screw. the alloy screw wants to pop its head off. ask me how i know . thankfully a steel 2.5mm screw can easily replace this very fancy looking aluminum screw.
  • for the rear axle bearing -- stretching the bearing with two hex drivers will make applying it over the 1/4" bearing easier
  • my car received 15g under its tekin esc
  • another 16g weight added directly next to the esc (opposite side of receiver/servo) to enable a proper balance on balance pins.
dawgmeat, RacinJ, nik77356 and 3 others like this.
Old 10-09-2023, 06:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by nik77356
Can anyone confirm yet whether a standard 1/12 servo will fit? I know the manual states to use a Sanwa or PowerHD servo, but wondering if a standard servo without mounting wings will fit.
manual pdf pg 10
SIZE NOT OVER 29X29X13.5mm.
nik77356 likes this.
Old 10-10-2023, 05:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
my greatest bit of feedback is "don't be cheap" with the polishing compound on the king pins. I polished the kingpins and upon final setup work I saw one of the two kingpins sticking still slightly. so i then used an excessive amount of mothers polish to resolve the one kingpin.

other build points-
  • be careful on how tight you make the "left hub" locking screw. the alloy screw wants to pop its head off. ask me how i know . thankfully a steel 2.5mm screw can easily replace this very fancy looking aluminum screw.
  • for the rear axle bearing -- stretching the bearing with two hex drivers will make applying it over the 1/4" bearing easier
  • my car received 15g under its tekin esc
  • another 16g weight added directly next to the esc (opposite side of receiver/servo) to enable a proper balance on balance pins.
Another option is to get a reamer to clean up the holes in the knuckle. Not sure what the diameter is on the P12V but on the old Xrays they were 3mm and the 2021-2023 they are 4mm. You can buy an expensive reamer like the Hudy ones (which are very nice), but I just ordered two long jobber drill bits in 3.0mm and 4.0mm and use them on all plastic parts that have a precise hole (steering knuckles, rear hubs if plastic, etc). You just run the bit (by hand) in and out a few passes and it'll clean up any imperfections in the mold.
Old 10-10-2023, 06:58 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TonysScrews
Another option is to get a reamer to clean up the holes in the knuckle. Not sure what the diameter is on the P12V but on the old Xrays they were 3mm and the 2021-2023 they are 4mm. You can buy an expensive reamer like the Hudy ones (which are very nice), but I just ordered two long jobber drill bits in 3.0mm and 4.0mm and use them on all plastic parts that have a precise hole (steering knuckles, rear hubs if plastic, etc). You just run the bit (by hand) in and out a few passes and it'll clean up any imperfections in the mold.
That's definitely a great tip when the steering knuckles are plastic, but the P12V comes with aluminum steering knuckles, so it's not quite as easy as running a hand reamer through them, unfortunately.
simple likes this.
Old 10-10-2023, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nik77356
That's definitely a great tip when the steering knuckles are plastic, but the P12V comes with aluminum steering knuckles, so it's not quite as easy as running a hand reamer through them, unfortunately.
Oh wow! I didn't realize they were aluminum. Thanks for the clarification. I have to say I'm very interested in this car. My buddy just ordered one and I'm looking forward to seeing it in person and seeing how it is on the track. I currently have 2020, 2022 and 2023 Xray X12 cars.
hanulec likes this.
Old 10-11-2023, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

hanulec Can't wait to hear how yours runs tonight.
hanulec likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.