Like Tree40Likes

Bumpstops for Touring Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccartips
I asked ChatGPT
This is very convenient since it's impossible to get an infinitely stiff chassis.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 09-28-2023, 11:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
TD39. The chassis does flex.
you know on an open wheel car the floor isn't part of the tub right. it's two separate pieces.
the Td you're trying to quote has zero to do with torsion, it's aero.
waitwhat likes this.
Old 09-29-2023, 01:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeffC
I can see the benefit in a soft bump stop (one that has noticeable compression) in certain track conditions. Think of it more as a 2-stage spring, kind of like the Awesomatix PSS setup.

I don't think a near-solid bump stop would be beneficial though. Touring cars don't seem to like sudden violent loading like that would provide.
I think soft bump stops may be beneficial. I've heard of people using fuel tubing on off road buggy's. A solid bump stop may require a softer chassis which goes against all my beliefs that a chassis should support the weight of the vehicle and not become part of the suspension.
Old 10-01-2023, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

Test and Tune was yesterday and I decided to keep the bumpstops in. The shocks have about a 3mm stroke now and that's all I need. it's allowing the car to corner flat, generating an insane level of grip in the corners. I don't have to wait for the car to get settled at the corner exit; I can get on the power instantly. I also have much less squat and dive aswell.

In two weeks, we'll have our inaugural indoor race and it'll be good to compare times from last years end of season race.

Stiff is good!
Qatmix and OlivierWierda like this.
Old 10-02-2023, 05:38 PM
Tech Champion

I guess the bumpstops also act as a heave damper when the suspension is fully compressed...
glennhl likes this.
Old 10-02-2023, 11:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

RaceOpt T3M v2 has built in bump stops.

Old 10-03-2023, 05:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I wonder if the foam inserts on the XRAY shocks accomplish a similar function.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:11 AM
The Evicerator

Foam above the bladders may provide some sort of residual bump stop type action, but in my view they primarily are there to slow/prevent the colapse of the bladder under high speed compression...

In my experience the best place for bumpstops on a traditional car is on the outside of the shock body on the shaft ...

Different materials will yeild different results... hardness of the material and total travel reduction seem to factor most heavily
glennhl likes this.
Old 10-03-2023, 09:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have been looking around a bunch for suitable materials to use as bumpstops, so far the best option I have found are these soft silicone grommets, will have to order some and try them out:

They are 3.5mm inner diameter and 6mm outer diameter and a nice base to fit on the lower spring retainer.

I'm wondering what other materials people have found that are ready to use as bumpstops, and where you bought them?

Cheers
Old 10-03-2023, 11:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by OlivierWierda
I have been looking around a bunch for suitable materials to use as bumpstops, so far the best option I have found are these soft silicone grommets, will have to order some and try them out:

They are 3.5mm inner diameter and 6mm outer diameter and a nice base to fit on the lower spring retainer.

I'm wondering what other materials people have found that are ready to use as bumpstops, and where you bought them?

Cheers
o-rings maybe x-rings. McMaster-Carr is a playground.
Old 10-03-2023, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

Nice grommets....
Old 10-04-2023, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccartips
RaceOpt T3M v2 has built in bump stops.

Odd, I would think this would cause the opposite of what they say. IMO a bump stop would increase point load on the outer tire increasing the chance of traction roll.
Old 10-04-2023, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malkiy
Odd, I would think this would cause the opposite of what they say. IMO a bump stop would increase point load on the outer tire increasing the chance of traction roll.
The opposite.
Think of it this way .... less roll = less weight shifted in that direction.
Increasing the point load would cause the tire to breach its limit.
Its more technical then that but thats a simple way to think of it.

Similar to progressive springs on the front. Soft to let it steer then compression causes it to stiffen up and create a push.
IMO bump stops would be a rabbit hole of tuning.
RaceOpt system intrigues me but not enough to keep tearing open my shocks lol.
Old 10-04-2023, 02:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by malkiy
Depends on what you're comparing to. If you're comparing to bottoming out with no give, the bump stop would reduce point load.
mr.rev likes this.
Old 11-07-2023, 09:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default O rings washers yellow gas fuel tubing ear plugs.

I have noticed guys using Orings and such for 20 plus years. I started racing at a dirt oval track and decided to use bump stops on my cars. With limited space on shaft I did even use ear plugs inside shock too. It definitely helps. I just added some to my 25.5 tc. Not sure it's nessasry? But why not. I have decided it's never good for car to contact track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.