Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 03:49 PM
Tech Champion

https://www.formula1-dictionary.net/chassis.html
Old 09-27-2023, 03:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
but the second bullet already contradicts your claim of F1 chassis having flex built into it

"
  • Maintain the suspension mounting locations so that handling is safe and consistent under high cornering and bump loads. This means that there is no flexing of the body, or at least to reduce flexing on lowest possible value."
Old 09-27-2023, 03:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by WayneKerr
but the second bullet already contradicts your claim of F1 chassis having flex built into it

"
  • Maintain the suspension mounting locations so that handling is safe and consistent under high cornering and bump loads. This means that there is no flexing of the body, or at least to reduce flexing on lowest possible value."
Did you read the whole thing? Further down:
and sometime some limited and controlled flexing is built in the car.
Old 09-27-2023, 03:56 PM
Tech Champion

"Reduce flex to lowest value possible." Slow as a turd, would be below the lowest value wanted.

I'm not sure if F1 cars even have ball joints anymore. I think the arm just bends.

I forget what the exact chassis frequency in F1 is. I'm looking.
Old 09-27-2023, 04:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gigaplex
you're asking if i read the whole thing, meanwhile at the bottom it says exactly what the other guy was saying:

"Another reason torsional rigidity is mentioned here is that it greatly affects the suspension performance. The suspension itself is designed to allow the wheels/tires to follow the road's bumps and dips. If the chassis twists when a tire hits a bump, it acts like part of the suspension, meaning that tuning the suspension is difficult or impossible. Ideally, the chassis should be ultra-rigid, and the suspension compliant."

the thing people don't realize is this:

1:1 cars are designed (if you strip it down to its core) with the car with infinite stiffness in mind. ie the "theoretical" calcs are done with things that are rigid.

RC is done the other way. Everything is "free" Build the car stiff as hell and the car is almost undriveable.

i was in the stiff camp because that's all i dealt with in my professional life until I realize that's not how this hobby works. Can either keep hitting my head against the wall using a 5mm aluminum chassis or, use the "flex" as part of the tuning arsenal and just knock a lower lap time out. I know what I picked (despite going against every fiber of knowledge that I possess)
Old 09-27-2023, 04:15 PM
Tech Champion

Moto gp switched to carbon frames to get some flex. An f1 car is nearly entirely carbon. You can adjust the direction of the layup, for more flex.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/motorcycles/motogp/why-motogp-has-gone-soft/

Old 09-27-2023, 04:16 PM
Tech Adept

"Reduce flex to lowest value possible." Slow as a turd, would be below the lowest value wanted.

I'm not sure if F1 cars even have ball joints anymore. I think the arm just bends.

I forget what the exact chassis frequency in F1 is. I'm looking.
I don't have first hand knowledge on a f1 tub; but i know the oreca p2 car well enough, as well as another branded "new gen" tub well.

they have sphericals in the joints.

the point is, no one builds / manufactures the thing with "flex" in mind, because none of your geo and force calculations take that stuff into account (as it's almost impossible to) So all your antis are done with the assumption that the thing is a solid body (which is why sometimes when you put the car on a K&C rig, you're in for a surprise )
Old 09-27-2023, 04:19 PM
Tech Adept

Moto gp switched to carbon frames to get some flex. An f1 car is nearly entirely carbon. You can adjust the direction of the layup, for more flex.
if you had two choices to go, using the same amount of material thus with the resulting weight being the same, no one would pick the option of lower torsional rigidity. every designer worth his salt would pick the config that gets him the stiffer tub, every time.

because otherwise when they get to the track and the car isn't responding to changes as well as it "should", someone will say "what the flying fuck" and when it gets back to the wet noodle being the cause, well heads are going to roll.
Old 09-27-2023, 04:20 PM
Tech Champion

I added a link above.
Old 09-27-2023, 04:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrreet2001
I don't think our cars are bottoming out due to aero.
Modified TCs on a big track are getting close. Plenty of sparks at night, and our track is very smooth. Although not the topic of this conversation, Mod Pro10s absolutely bottom out due to aero, hence we do run rubber stoppers on the centre shock.
Old 09-27-2023, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by WayneKerr
I don't have first hand knowledge on a f1 tub; but i know the oreca p2 car well enough, as well as another branded "new gen" tub well.

they have sphericals in the joints.
Those aren't F1 cars. Yes, most modern touring cars have some sort of "joint". F1 cars, especially at the bulkhead end, tend to use live hinges, which sections of arm designed to be hinges. They have some spring rate to them too.

the point is, no one builds / manufactures the thing with "flex" in mind, because none of your geo and force calculations take that stuff into account (as it's almost impossible to) So all your antis are done with the assumption that the thing is a solid body (which is why sometimes when you put the car on a K&C rig, you're in for a surprise )
With any even moderate FEA application you can model all of those things, and know exactly how they will behave. I can't speak for r/c manufacturers, but every car manufacturer is doing FEA, and know exactly where each mass is, and how it's going to interact with the shell, suspension, and tires.

And lose a ton of grip.
maybe.

This is just plain wrong.

Think about it. Your perfectly stiff car can only soak up bumps with a hinged plane going up and down. But the forces exerted on the car doesnt just come straight from below.

Think of a motorcycle swing arm. It goes up and down over bumps. Now you corner and the bike is leaned over 45 degrees. Now the suspension is much less effective.
It's very effective, just due to tangent angle it's sprung completely the wrong way. While I get the analogy you're trying to make, it does not stand in this case. I could write several pages on both motorcycle swingarm, fork, and chassis flex.

The swing arm, and forks have side to side flex. Without that flex, they simply dont work well. For ages GP bike were too flexible, and engineers stiffened them up every year. Eventually they got to a point where the bikes got worse, instead of better.
You're trying to tell a story simply, that is not that simple. And isn't even settled now. You're putting lead on the chassis, when really, it was the suspension that dictated the chassis stiffness. As they got better dampers, and better dampers let them use the suspension instead of chassis flex. Also, bikes have to handle suspension loads in a near 120 deg arc, which cars do not. Bike suspension tuning, and car suspension tuning have very little to do with each other.

Real F1 cars have tons of flex designed into them.

It's not just a tuning issue to be eliminated. Reducing flex makes for a slower, more fragile car, everytime.

I'd like to make a 1/12 scale car with no suspension. Chassis flex only. With shocks going from the chassis plate to a bulkhead. No pivots. No balls. No pins. The chassis is the spring and pivot.
​​​​​​They have designed with the flex that the chassis will have in mind. Reducing flex nets you, in general, less traction, but the chassis is more easily controlled. It's a lot of typing to go into why this is.

A 1/12 scale car with no suspension has been done. A lot. Exactly as you describe. My Bolink 91 sport was like that. The early aluminum tamiya cars were like that. The whole t-plate car thing was more or less what you're describing. ​Gokarts are exactly that.

Old 09-27-2023, 07:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree with you. However despite your example, the gist of the article is that the implicit goal of full scale race car chassis design is to increase torsional rigidity as much as possible.
"Rigidity is important to maintain precise control over the suspension geometry, that is, to keep the wheels firmly in contact with the race course surface. Unfortunately these two goals are often in direct conflict. Finding the best compromise between weight and rigidity is part of the art and science of race car engineering."
"Since the mid 60s, many high-end sports cars also adopted tubular space frame to enhance the rigidity / weight ratio.
"
"Another reason torsional rigidity is mentioned here is that it greatly affects the suspension performance. The suspension itself is designed to allow the wheels/tires to follow the road's bumps and dips. If the chassis twists when a tire hits a bump, it acts like part of the suspension, meaning that tuning the suspension is difficult or impossible. Ideally, the chassis should be ultra-rigid, and the suspension compliant."

In the pursuit of increasing torsional rigidity of full scale racing cars, great effort and money has been expended over many years.

There is something slightly mystifying going on with our 1:12 and 1:10 scale racing chassis. Something that favors deliberate, focused flex characteristics. I do not quite know what it is, but like many others I have noticed the benefit of manipulating flex. So we dont really want to follow what an F1 team, for example, is doing. Not until we figure out why our suspension is not working quite right.

My $0.02
Cheers

EDIT: I was late to the party as usual. I'll leave it anyways.

Last edited by gwhiz; 09-27-2023 at 07:23 PM. Reason: I omitted an important qualifying detail. And I was late to the party.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gwhiz
I agree with you. However despite your example, the gist of the article is that the implicit goal of race car chassis design is to increase torsional rigidity as much as possible.
"Rigidity is important to maintain precise control over the suspension geometry, that is, to keep the wheels firmly in contact with the race course surface. Unfortunately these two goals are often in direct conflict. Finding the best compromise between weight and rigidity is part of the art and science of race car engineering."
"Since the mid 60s, many high-end sports cars also adopted tubular space frame to enhance the rigidity / weight ratio.
"

In the pursuit of increasing torsional rigidity of full scale racing cars, great effort and money has been expended over many years.

There is something slightly mystifying going on with our 1:12 and 1:10 scale racing chassis. Something that favors deliberate, focused flex characteristics. I do not quite know what it is, but like many others I have noticed the benefit of manipulating flex. So we dont really want to follow what an F1 team, for example, is doing. Not until we figure out why our suspension is not working quite right.

My $0.02
Cheers
Well if you're looking for proof that F1 does have flex and teams do exploit it, look at Technical Directive 39. Intentionally flexible floors were being used, the FIA implemented that rule to kerb it. Then after a different regulation change related to ride height, FIA removed TD39.

And then there's TD18 regarding flexible wings. Not strictly relevant here since it's aero and not suspension flexing, but it's still flex.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Scott_T
Modified TCs on a big track are getting close. Plenty of sparks at night, and our track is very smooth. Although not the topic of this conversation, Mod Pro10s absolutely bottom out due to aero, hence we do run rubber stoppers on the centre shock.
I run modified TC at night. The only time I get sparks is at hard acceleration or deceleration. That's weight transfer, not aero, causing it.
mrreet2001 likes this.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well if you're looking for proof that F1 does have flex and teams do exploit it, look at Technical Directive 39. Intentionally flexible floors were being used, the FIA implemented that rule to kerb it. Then after a different regulation change related to ride height, FIA removed TD39.

And then there's TD18 regarding flexible wings. Not strictly relevant here since it's aero and not suspension flexing, but it's still flex.
There might be some others here who remain unconvinced, but I am not among them.
I was only thinking about torsional rigidity and how those design paradigms may not be applicable to our puny little machines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.