Like Tree1497Likes

GT12-RT

Old 03-22-2024, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
anyone notice that there is a 12 scale car in the background that doesn’t look like a 12 scale car that’s on the market now? 😏
it’s just an Awesomatix. What RU talkin’ ‘bout? I’m kidding!!! So happy to see him taking an interest in 1/12th again.
Old 03-23-2024, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was told that Gravity has not received any samples of their new tires yet.
bentouttashape likes this.
Old 03-24-2024, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks for checking. I'm sure we'll all know soon enough.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

How is this class faring at your track? A year ago this was one of the most popular classes at several tracks in Chicagoland. Now we're lucky if we can field a race with 3 or 4 drivers. Think the lack of availability of the tires really killed any momentum this class had.
MC Hamilton likes this.
Old 05-06-2024, 04:28 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GerryH
How is this class faring at your track? A year ago this was one of the most popular classes at several tracks in Chicagoland. Now we're lucky if we can field a race with 3 or 4 drivers. Think the lack of availability of the tires really killed any momentum this class had.
Truing tires killed the class for me.
MC Hamilton, melman222 and DirkW like this.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We could never get the interest in running GT12-RT. We then ran GT12-FT with the spec blue/purple stripes and USGT motor, but that got boring as you were wide open around the track. Two other local tracks went with fixed timing 17.5's on foams but the HobbyWing Justock 17.5 isn't any faster than the USGT motor at the one track and the other track does a Motiv 17.5 locked timing handout motor but the class is only ran at big events, otherwise not enough interest. With every track running different set ups the GT12 class has pretty much died off. So we went back to the Stock 17.5 class with the LMP bodies at the two indoor tracks still running, Hoping with everyone converting their TC's to asphalt, we will get more interest in 12th scale indoor carpet for those crappy weather weekends this summer.
LonnyJ1950 likes this.
Old 05-06-2024, 07:07 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

It consistently one of the largest and most competitive classes at MMR.
Old 05-06-2024, 07:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

In FL we went stripe spec FT (Lilac/Team Purple/38sh/etc...) and any ROAR Legal 21.5. It's a popular class at Beachline where the World's were last year and in the Florida State Series which is 90% Asphalt...yes, we run GT12 on asphalt.

At Beachline with a good setup you can lap at full throttle the whole time but that is not the way to get the fastest lap times.
BullFrog likes this.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:15 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by 92mnstanger
It consistently one of the largest and most competitive classes at MMR.
Basically GT12 became 1/12 lite at ThunderDome. You were either fast or slow. No middle. I was more competitive 2x at MMR then in over 50 races at TD.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:38 AM
Tech Prophet

The tire shortage definitely hurt. I believe the shortage is because a percentage of those that ran in the class began to horde tires. Think I used less then 10 sets in 2023 for 44 races and another 20 practice days. Yet more and more last year, as truing became more common. I’d see drivers with 5-10-15 sets in their pit bags. No longer did they see them as a longer wearing tire. But just like foam tires, 1 and done.
MC Hamilton likes this.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
The tire shortage definitely hurt. I believe the shortage is because a percentage of those that ran in the class began to horde tires. Think I used less then 10 sets in 2023 for 44 races and another 20 practice days. Yet more and more last year, as truing became more common. I’d see drivers with 5-10-15 sets in their pit bags. No longer did they see them as a longer wearing tire. But just like foam tires, 1 and done.
The shortage was exactly that, a shortage. Can't blame racers for being well racers and looking for that competitive edge.
What you can blame is choosing to support large events over club racing events. But hey at least we have blue rubber now so we know exactly which ones are the SJT's as the god awful wheels weren't enough
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:03 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Basically GT12 became 1/12 lite at ThunderDome. You were either fast or slow. No middle. I was more competitive 2x at MMR then in over 50 races at TD.
What do you think the reason is?
Old 05-07-2024, 07:52 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by 92mnstanger
What do you think the reason is?
The fixed gearing at MmR3. I spends way too much time chasing gearing locally. We ran the red end bell oval USGT motor. I’d try sometimes 8-10 different pinions trying to find something that felt right. Never did.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:57 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by racing_jason
The shortage was exactly that, a shortage. Can't blame racers for being well racers and looking for that competitive edge.
What you can blame is choosing to support large events over club racing events. But hey at least we have blue rubber now so we know exactly which ones are the SJT's as the god awful wheels weren't enough
​​​​​​
Im not sure if it’s the big races that were the problem. Considering many I saw required tires to be bought at the track for the race. Or handouts.

That stopped me from going to a race couple states over. I knew how long it took me to wear in tires by driving, a number a could never run during pre race. Ive never used a truer, so even if the track had one available, I’d more likely do more damage then good. And could not be sure I could rely on getting someone at the track that help.
Old 05-07-2024, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It appears that Scott Jakes is skimming his tires now too. The class on rubber tires now has little advantage to foams. Cue that guy from Florida to stop in the thread to tell us all, he told us so.
Rick Vessell and mrreet2001 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.