Search
Like Tree1514Likes

GT12-RT

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MC Hamilton
It appears that Scott Jakes is skimming his tires now too. The class on rubber tires now has little advantage to foams. Cue that guy from Florida to stop in the thread to tell us all, he told us so.
I saw Scott’s video for the blue tires. I’m still curious about the Gravity tire for GT12. Remember reading somewhere that’s it not like a standard 1/12. But who knows.

For now I’ve found a replacement class. Unfortunately, it changes what tracks run at. As one of my local tracks is 1/12 only.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

As my friend from Florida said (and we raced this past Sunday). The orginal deal with your rubber tires was just clean them. Now your skimming them. Ya'll complained about truing tires- look at your post . There is no shortage of the spec foam tires. Then ya'll went to the USGT motors with spec gearing - there is no spec equal motors made (some will be dogs and some won't). Us Florida guys have open motors and the gear ratios are about the same with the different motors. The major difference is the drivers age- The young guys blow us older guys away BUT we still have fun with our hobby. Racers will always be racers and try to find an advantage.
Down here 1/12th was total dead till GT12 came. Now we even have some GTP 1/12th's showing up at some club races. Its having fun with my fellow racers is what keeps me in this hobby. When we finish racing we go to the pits and talk. Even on our way home. If you aren't having fun it's time to find something else to spend your money on! Come to Florida and enjoy the hot sunshine and race on Asphalt - Espicially our Fathers day Race June15th at Valkaria (home of two ROAR Nationals). We will be glad to help you out anyway we can. Have Fun we will.
racing_jason and LonnyJ1950 like this.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:43 AM
Tech Prophet

If it wasn’t over 1,000 miles to Florida, it would be an option. But 1,000 miles pretty much stops any consideration. Especially for on road. Never seen 1/12 run outdoors. Unlikely ever will.

Those that win in stock 1/12, are usually the same that win in GT12 at the tracks I’ve raced at. They have more knowledge of the cars then the few of us that started later will ever know.
Old 05-07-2024, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BullFrog
. Us Florida guys have open motors and the gear ratios are about the same with the different motors.
We had USGT motors and fixed gearing around Michigan/Ohio and I think the racing was closer back then. The USGT motors are remarkably close together. You literally saw every car in the field, from the best driver to the newest, going the same speed down the straight and through the sweeper.

We onroad racers are really good at killing classes.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm not sure what to tell you Billy. I don't know what Matt and Mike do, but I have 1 or 2 sets of tires I race. If I skim tires, I skim them at home because they are out of whack side to side. I know a lot of guys in different areas now hit the tires with one of those abrasive brush wheels for a Dremel. That's not a big investment if you wanted to try that.
The gear on the motor never feels right. The only way to know is how hot the motor is and how much the lap time falls off. Garcia and I talk about gears a lot, and there is never a definitive answer. If your car is not free, the motor will be hot anyway.

You do have resources at the track. Jim D is there and he has helped a lot of guys. I don't think you can get any better advice anywhere.

The reality is that there are a lot of very competitive guys who race at the track, and they have been around a long time. I know the turn outs were huge at first, but like anything else, if the same guys keep winning participation goes down. Maybe fixed gear would have helped, I'm not sure. I know there were almost always tires at the track. They some how stayed on top of that
Rick Vessell and MikeS25 like this.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:49 PM
Tech Champion

Us Florida guys only get to race on carpet maybe 5 times a year. The rest is asphalt. We always help the new guys - all they have to do is ask. Even had a practice pack charged and our new/old racer forgot to charge his battery used mine and put at least a lap on me. I still had fun and glad I could help.
LonnyJ1950 likes this.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Gravity RC makes the USGT fixed timing 21.5 motor with a black 30* end-bell (used in the USGT class) and the red 45* end-bell (usually used in oval racing). But they also make a silver can fixed timing 17.5 motor sold with the same red 45* end-bell. Put the black 30* end-bell on that motor and it would be the PERFECT motor for GT12. Use the same rules where the timing cannot exceed 33* in tech. This would be similar to the Motiv locked timing 17.5 motors that they use for handout motors in the GT12 class at 180 Raceway. Casey sets the timing on all of the motors using a Motorlyser and then seals them. The speed/power is perfect using these locked timing 17.5's. The racing is still very tight, but not boringly slow like when using the 21.5 USGT motors. They do use the blue/purple stripe spec tires at 180 though.

I'm hoping these new Gravity 12th scale rubber tires only need to be cleaned/sauced like a TC tire and offer good grip without any cutting/skimming. Add that to the 30* 17.5 fixed timing Gravity motor and I think this class could really take off.
LonnyJ1950 likes this.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:56 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by robk
I'm not sure what to tell you Billy. I don't know what Matt and Mike do, but I have 1 or 2 sets of tires I race. If I skim tires, I skim them at home because they are out of whack side to side. I know a lot of guys in different areas now hit the tires with one of those abrasive brush wheels for a Dremel. That's not a big investment if you wanted to try that.
The gear on the motor never feels right. The only way to know is how hot the motor is and how much the lap time falls off. Garcia and I talk about gears a lot, and there is never a definitive answer. If your car is not free, the motor will be hot anyway.

You do have resources at the track. Jim D is there and he has helped a lot of guys. I don't think you can get any better advice anywhere.

The reality is that there are a lot of very competitive guys who race at the track, and they have been around a long time. I know the turn outs were huge at first, but like anything else, if the same guys keep winning participation goes down. Maybe fixed gear would have helped, I'm not sure. I know there were almost always tires at the track. They some how stayed on top of that
My post wasn’t based on TD. Wider view. I try to check in on tracks I’ve been to, or would like to get. There was a definite drop in the class overall over the last year. And it started around last summer when truing became just part of the class. The tires were no longer viewed as long wear. They became 1 and done. Supply couldn’t meet demand, but the class wasn’t getting bigger. Just a percentage were buy more.

Different tracks running different motors didn’t help. Some say the USGT is even, some say there no two equal. I never could figure out the oval motor. But the USGT motor on fixed gearing. Didn’t see the speed difference I had seen before. Car was still bad, could see clear the steering problems.

Maybe went the gravity tires because available I’ll give them a shot.
robk likes this.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't even try to get people into this class anymore. You couldn't get the tires for so long that it died out at our track, and my experience is if you're a "fast guy" and one to compete, you have to wait for the tires to come in or take em down yourself. It was just like "well I have the slow gokart this week" or "look I did a pro thing and scared everyone off." There's more people running foam now. My foam car is nearly the same speed from 41.7mm down to plastic and the tires last 3 weeks at a minimum. I'm a huge advocate for classes that are great for beginners and I just feel that this has turned into HARDER 12th scale that is just slower, so I bring my car and run if people want to, but it's somewhat turned into my foam parts car unfortunately.

To me it's similar to VTA except in VTA you can chase the rear tire change as it gains grip through its life by doing pretty dramatic setup changes with SLA double wishbone tricks like camber gain, toe, etc, but in these 12th scale cars, when the tires are so different across their life, the window of what you can do based on the tire's point in its lifecycle is very limited as the cars were designed around foam tires. You basically have truing or saucing, and the rubber changes too. My experience with the class and the "non foam guys" is that in rubber tire, they're bouncing off the boards.

Wish had turned out different. I got a lot of folks into this class and was a real class ambassador in the beginning.
MC Hamilton and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Razathorn
I don't even try to get people into this class anymore. You couldn't get the tires for so long that it died out at our track, and my experience is if you're a "fast guy" and one to compete, you have to wait for the tires to come in or take em down yourself. It was just like "well I have the slow gokart this week" or "look I did a pro thing and scared everyone off." There's more people running foam now. My foam car is nearly the same speed from 41.7mm down to plastic and the tires last 3 weeks at a minimum. I'm a huge advocate for classes that are great for beginners and I just feel that this has turned into HARDER 12th scale that is just slower, so I bring my car and run if people want to, but it's somewhat turned into my foam parts car unfortunately.

To me it's similar to VTA except in VTA you can chase the rear tire change as it gains grip through its life by doing pretty dramatic setup changes with SLA double wishbone tricks like camber gain, toe, etc, but in these 12th scale cars, when the tires are so different across their life, the window of what you can do based on the tire's point in its lifecycle is very limited as the cars were designed around foam tires. You basically have truing or saucing, and the rubber changes too. My experience with the class and the "non foam guys" is that in rubber tire, they're bouncing off the boards.

Wish had turned out different. I got a lot of folks into this class and was a real class ambassador in the beginning.
I will disagree on car adjustability. The CRC that I have is very capable of being tuned to track and tire conditions. Most people just don't want to do it. Our fast guys do that and the slow ones don't.
I have a different setup based on the version of the tire. I haven't run the blue one but I have all of the other 5.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

Still like our Florida version with no problems with Foam tires and open motors. As for my CRC chassis works fine both indoors and outdoors. With all the new Rubber tires coming ya'll should have no problem with tires. 1/12th is where I started many years ago - it died and the GT12 (F or R) has brought it back to life. Enjoy the class if it is to slow for you go to GTP. By the way our only carpet track has no heat or AC so whatever the temperature is outside it is inside. So enjoy your climate controlled indoor tracks. wish we had some down here.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

So to all of you guys wanting to talk about foam tires. THERE IS A THREAD FOR THAT.
This one is about rubber tire racing and its issues only.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:20 AM
Tech Regular

"R"
Old 05-09-2024, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by robk

You follow what I do. I only throw them on the truer to do just that, true them.
Even if guys do skim them at big events the tire cost is still minimal compared to running foams. You are limited to one set at any major so handle them with care. The skim cuts are just that and mainly to clean them up. I use the Dremel and brush (I found a poly bristle with abrasive bonded to the bristles at Menards) between rounds and have found very little difference vs a skim if the tires are even.
As a bench mark: A group of our guys are attending a race at another track and to get a second class one of them is going to rum 1/12 scale 17.5 for the first time. Another of our very experienced racers is loaning him a car and motor but the rest is up to him. He asked how many sets of tires he would need and the answer was 4 minimum. I chimed in to him, when you run at races like the Indoor Champs or Snowbirds, that number would be 8 for the top tier drivers.
That was just to make him aware of what he would face at full kill competitiveness in any foam class.
Some of our locals wanted to try WGT or a similar 1/10 scale class. I ran that back when it was a class. It was very similar and I ran that minimal 4 sets at a big race.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If anyone here is looking for the SJT rubber tires, our local track has 14 sets available.for sale. PM for info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.