Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this? >

Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Tech Rookie

For RC mitts

When was the last time you seen someones health affected by a Golf Swing, Foot, Elbow etc are injuries that heel in time, Diseases caused by chemicals cause permanent damage. un-reversible.

There is also something called SPF30 that protects you from the harmful UV rays from the sun, and last time I checked you get Vitamin E from the Sun.
As far as drowning, I normally wear a vest, or I keep it handy.

Funny post though

Grant
Old 03-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I think one of the things at CEFX that people "thought" was a "Paragon Haze" was actually where they were cooking food. I dont recall seeing any doors open or ventilation in that room they were cooking in so it just kinda drifted about. Plus all the tire truing and such that causes smoke as well.

EA
Old 03-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Carl,

I just sent an email to ROAR Mike Queller and Dawn Sanchez at ROAR. I was in contact with Dawn a year ago and she indicated that ROAR does believe this needs to be addressed. Even though nothing has happened that I am aware of in this last year, more emails from the community would no doubt increase the priority on this.

Thank you.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
I think one of the things at CEFX that people "thought" was a "Paragon Haze" was actually where they were cooking food. I dont recall seeing any doors open or ventilation in that room they were cooking in so it just kinda drifted about. Plus all the tire truing and such that causes smoke as well.

EA
I also think it had a lot to do with the foam tire truing, as josh pointed out earlier....
Old 03-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

At one point, i think it was timmy heiser,, pointed to the tire truing area when the overhead door was open and you could see the fumes escaping.. it looked like heat off of the road on a 100 degree day... bending the light.

KB
Old 03-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
For all those supportive of either banning the use of tire additives in racing, I'd send an e-mail to the executives at ROAR...typing on this thread will make no difference...when this thread first started I had sent an e-mail to ROAR asking them to look into this...I'm not sure whatever happened.

We have a newly appointed President...he and his staff should look into this and ask those members on the electric committee to investigate the situation and and provide a report for the membership.

IMO: ROAR should ban the use of all tire additives starting in 2008 at all ROAR sanctioned Level 3, 4 and 5 events.

This will provide companies like Jaco / Parma / GRP etc time to develop an alternative tire compound which meets the racers needs without the use of harmful tire additives. (imagine a spec foam tire)

It provides more than enough time for racers to make the adjustment

and send a message that ROAR is interested in the safety of its membership.

ROAR bi-laws require that ROAR sanctioned events be held within a safe racing environment.

Until something changes, I'm limiting my exposure with carpet racing...Can't wait for the weather to warm-up or Vegas in April.

"The 2008 drift rc nationals" Maybe by then we will also have cells that are rated at 1.3 volts per cell, and then the new 15 shore compounds will be released.

Steve
Old 03-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My two cents - I am 46 yrs old, well educated and have been around long enough to know, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck. Do not listen to the knuckleheads on this thread who are looking for proof that these chemicals are harmful to their health before changing their ways, these people are idiots, I can not be more succinct. All these chemicals are extremely harmful to your health when used on a regular basis. Dying at an early age, or having to live under the cloud of a potentially fatal disease for the rest of your life is no fun, especially if you could have prevented it by making a few good decisions when you were younger.

I race these cars because it is fun, and if I happen to win a piece of plastic on a weekend, thats great, but in no way am I willing to risk my health for such a meaningless endeavor.

My first hope is that the younger kids who happen to take this sport seriously, read this thread and then will take the necessary precautions if they must use these chemicals on a regular basis. Do your cleaning with motor spray in a well ventilated area, wear gloves and masks, if you use tire sauce do the same. Bottom line - be smart and make good decisions when using these chemicals. I would hope they would not buy into the silliness that because you do not get headaches or nose bleeds that it is not affecting you, it is, you just don't realise it yet.

My final hope is that this thread (easily the most important discussion on this forum) wakes up the leaders in this sport and those idiots who believe in the moronic rationalization that it is ok to use dangerous chemicals in the nobel pursuit of RC car racing. It is not ok - Wake up! --It's just plain stupid!!!!

I appologize if I offended anyone, but lets cut the crap - right is right.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default very well put

TSquare, very well put.

But I guess in the world of these forums, your opinion is just as valid as the 18 year old knuckleheads you are talking about.

The fact that you are educated, have a good grasp on what this HOBBY is and what it means, and are old enough to know better seems to mean nothing. Now if you were a world champion and had a big trophy, maybe then all of these knuckleheads would listen.

There will always be knuckleheads who can't see the forest through the trees. But don't worry, give it time. These knuckleheads will start to get the headaches and nosebleeds, and then they will blame everyone but themselves for their problems.

This is how it works with smoking, obesity, and most other environmentally caused problems.

If nothing else, something should be done to protect the kids who are in this hobby (under 18.) The adults should at least be responsible for themselves.

Last edited by billjacobs; 03-14-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default comments

for RCMitts, I hope you are not equating breathing in and absorbing dangerous chemicals (through the skin) with playing golf.

Golf doesn't cause liver problems, kidney problems, respiratory problems, cancer, etc. Oh wait, you are out in the sun, so maybe skin cancer (sarcasm).

For all the good posts in this topic, you have ones that are meant to be funny. These posts only distract the readers from the seriousness of the topic covered.

I understand that racers don't want to admit that what they are doing is dangerous, or put any responsibility on themselves, but for those of us who are adults, IT IS OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO PROTECT OURSELVES AND THE MINORS IN THIS HOBBY.

It is as simple as that. If as an adult, you want to drink traction compound, go right ahead. But when people are getting headaches from being in a paragon filled room with no ventilation for 10 hours at a time, something has to change.

Last edited by billjacobs; 03-14-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

and so i dont go to big races in the U.S cuz of this
Old 03-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
and so i dont go to big races in the U.S cuz of this
Or at least start by only going to races held in hotels with air handlers large enough to circulate out the junk. I'm guessing Vegas for sure, are there any others? R/C tracks are never going to be able to afford that sort of thing.

If the government got involved, they'd be all over this with regulations on air circulation, and probably rightfully so. This is a real problem, the jokes are clearly an indication that some people struggle to grasp the gravity of it. Or maybe it's just the words longer than 5 letters that confuses them.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well to calm anyones nerves.....while I am allowing any legal traction compound at paved nats this summer.......my pits are in a seperate room and the track has a LARGE door I can open, along with having a $10,000 ceiling ventilation fan.....fumes are unoticiable...

I am kinda confused though, if yer gonna ban traction compounds.....I would suggest banning all nitro based fuel.....from a danger standpoint, that stuff blows away any traction compound.......and once its burnt, the fumes can be fatal....

I think the point being, if we start banning stuff.....get ready to ban a lot of stuff, cause their many dangerous items we use every day....

Later EddieO
Old 03-15-2007, 04:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Or at least start by only going to races held in hotels with air handlers large enough to circulate out the junk. I'm guessing Vegas for sure, are there any others? R/C tracks are never going to be able to afford that sort of thing.

If the government got involved, they'd be all over this with regulations on air circulation, and probably rightfully so. This is a real problem, the jokes are clearly an indication that some people struggle to grasp the gravity of it. Or maybe it's just the words longer than 5 letters that confuses them.
Cleveland made me high as a kite and its in a hotel.... There is no ventilation in a hotel(at least older hotels) that can suck that crap out. Every time u would go to the track it was a fog. And the rooms dont have central air going through them they have electric heaters so no circulation.

AS for the nitro fuel comment agian we are not comparing apples to apples. We dont race nitro indoors. Nor do we rub it on our tires with our hands or gloves. ITs safe to say that unless we have a accident fuel goes into a bottle then into the tanks. The fuel can we seal, the bottle we seal and the fuel tank is sealed. Funny we only seal it to preserve the integrity of the fuel not for safty, but either way its much safer then traction compound when u compare how we use it... Outdoors your ventilated very very well anyway.

This is not complicated. Tech is not hard inside a "CLEAN" track that has banned compound. ITs like all rules this is a hobby first and in the spirit of fairness people follow rules. A cheater will cheat, regardless of the rules. I think tech complications is simply a cop out. Nothing more..

There could not be an easier solution to this problem, stop allowing it, the excuses are lame
Old 03-15-2007, 07:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

hey..so i like carl's suggestion to get people to email ROAR...who else has sent them an email....if not please do so....
Old 03-15-2007, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EddieO
Well to calm anyones nerves.....while I am allowing any legal traction compound at paved nats this summer.......my pits are in a seperate room and the track has a LARGE door I can open, along with having a $10,000 ceiling ventilation fan.....fumes are unoticiable...

I am kinda confused though, if yer gonna ban traction compounds.....I would suggest banning all nitro based fuel.....from a danger standpoint, that stuff blows away any traction compound.......and once its burnt, the fumes can be fatal....

I think the point being, if we start banning stuff.....get ready to ban a lot of stuff, cause their many dangerous items we use every day....

Later EddieO
Eddie the reason to ban tire additives is the fact that the additives during carpet racing are at facilities "indoors" with poor ventalation...its the concentration of exposure which creates the problem

Racing outdoors is not nearly as harnful. You're exposure to harmful fumes are diluted as a result of being outdoors.

Perhaps the ban should be limited to indoor racing. Either way, ROAR has various committees who should evaluate the risk...and provide a report to the membership. And my suggestion to ban products has a time line which gives those involved time to adjust to the potential changes.

At one time I was fully against the ban to smoke in bars in NY. I felt, who are they to dictate where/when someone can smoke...well the reality of it is people have adjusted and its enjoyable going to a bar and not walking about smelling like a ash tray...the reason was a safety concern...very similar to what we have here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.