Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this? >

Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Tech Adept

I've had an interesting experience, similar to Kevin K's post above: For years in the midwest I'd used Paragon GE all winter long with no noticeable affects (and I actually love the smell). After moving to the southwest, where indoor carpet tracks are few and far between, I began running off road all year with only a few trips per year to carpet tracks (where I still used Paragon GE because it's what I knew).

Recently, I went to a carpet race that Jack the Gripper was the only compound allowed, and after smelling that compound all day for 3 days straight, I had the worst headaches by the end of the day than I have ever experienced (and I never have headaches). I'm not here to bash or support Jack the Gripper or Paragon (although I liked how Paragon seemed to keep the car more consistent), but if the people who dislike Paragon got headaches like I did from Jack the Gripper, then I can understand their concern and why they are so vocal. After this experience, I became more fully aware that these compounds can affect people in very different ways, some with huge effects and some with none. Obviously we shouldn't be bathing in any of these compounds (and I won't even comment about the motor spray issue), so we should either ban them all OR allow them all and take some precautions with ventilation and protective gloves.

Old 04-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

edit

Last edited by RodneyB; 03-05-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I race rubber outdoor asphalt. Our track usually used by both EP&GP and virtually no prepare, so the traction condition is kind poor, plus lots dust/foam-falloff on track.

What I experience in past winder session is, using traction compound doesn't help under our track environment. The compounded tire is much easier to get dirty, and once that happened, you lost huge traction. Even you drive on clean line, the traction compound traction effect only last about 2mins, than it's all by rubber itself.

The solution is kind funny: use no traction compound but tire warmer, cook the tire to 60~70'c before race. This would give a good traction for entire race. I personally think that's what should be done for rubber tire, 1:1 did that all the time.

As for foam racing, the only foam racing here is GP and IFMAR rule clearly state no traction compound, so no traction compund on foam (well, no 1/12 EP race as well). But I did play around 1:12 foam once, indeed the car is nearly undriveable without traction compound, but I never tried if tire warmer works for foam.

IMO air vent seems the biggest problem for indoor racing. Lucky we do outdoor only, and I always pick seat which has wind blow from rear to take away of any smell.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

is it bad then when i use motor spray to clean my hands before i eat at the track???
Old 04-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Rodney,

Do you know what chemicals are in Paragon. It has the oil of winter green this MeS you talked about. Anything else you are aware of? I believe someone earlier indicated it has hexans? Same question goes for Jack the Gripper, and Niftech.

Thank you,
Old 04-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

at this past years snowbirds i pitted on manufactures row,i'm sure you know how bad the smell of paragon is ,but after the race ended my vision was blurry for about a week(not to mention the brain cells I killed)
Old 04-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
Hey Rodney,

Do you know what chemicals are in Paragon. It has the oil of winter green this MeS you talked about. Anything else you are aware of? I believe someone earlier indicated it has hexans? Same question goes for Jack the Gripper, and Niftech.

Thank you,
By MeS I mean Methyl salicylate which is in Paragon. I don't know what else is in these other than what was said in this thread. The point that has been made that the other ingredients may also be a concern could be valid, even those "unknown" ingredients in odorless traction compounds. That's why I believe improved ventilation should be investigated to handle these concerns across the board.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:27 AM
Tech Rookie

hmmm...that's good to know. When I talked with TrackTac they said the only thing that the US law required them to do in terms of labeling the product is to identify if the product contains anything that causes cancer.

Actually I said a lot more than that. If a chemical is on any hazard list it needs to be listed but in the first section of the US MSDS it is MAINLY concerned with carcinogens and potential toxins. This includes chemicals with exposure limits. There are also some states that require special information. California is one of these states. We use no California Proposition 65 chemicals. We use no SARA 313 chemicals (Federal EPA list), We use no mutagens. We use no teratogens. We use no carcinogens or suspect carcinogens.

In the first section of our MSDS's we also include items that are not required to be listed but we want to bring attention too.

We use no raw materials with a HMIS code or NFPA code for Health high than 1.

We use no raw material with a HMIS code or NFPA code for Flammability high than 2.

We use no raw material with a HMIS code or NFPA code for Reactivity high than 1.

We do recommend using gloves and eye protection. This is just good safety practice when using any chemical.

Every product we make can be shipped in the US unregulated by DOT if shipped ground.

If anyone want to read our brochures the links are below. They are in PDF format so you will need a PDF reader to view them.

http://www.tracktac.com/tt/information/Brochure.pdf

http://www.tracktac.com/tt/informati...orTrackTac.pdf

If you want to read about racers using our products we are very active on 4cycle. com. In the forum section on tires/prep we have a thread called Track Tac - Help Provided. The link is below. This web site concerns kart racing.

http://karting.4cycle.com/showthread.php?t=30408

there have been almost 30,000 views since May 9, 2005 and there are over 400 comments.

Hope this helps

Randy Ransom <|*+[|] (_o^o_)
Chemist for Track Tac™
by ATTL Products, Inc.
.tracktac.com.
[email protected].
+1 (336) 474-3500 office
+1 (336) 406-2885 mobile

Last edited by rransom; 04-09-2006 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Volracer,

Thanks for the info on the msds and the gloves. I use vinyl gloves right now as the latex ones seem to irritate my skin given how sensitive the skin on my hands is these days. Any comments on vinyl?
Martin,

You may want to find nitrile gloves. These have the flexibility and dexterity of latex. They are latex free and very resistant to the chemicals used to treat tires. Look for the gloves that look like BLUE latex.

Hope this helps

Randy
Old 04-10-2006, 05:53 AM
Tech Adept

Martin I have those gloves. I'll bring a pair with me for you to try next time I go to the track.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Randy and Andy.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Randy. Out of curiosity, why are you not able to sell your product in California if it meets all these standards?
Old 04-10-2006, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

is there any chance of re-packaging your products specifically for rc use... not many of us need a quart of anything...other than gatorade... lol
Old 04-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

hi can you guys give me an advice which substitute to use.for an aspalt track and rubber tires..and if anybody has already invented a substitute which is less harmfull and more effective..please hallllla at me.. thanxxx
Old 04-10-2006, 09:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tallyrc
is there any chance of re-packaging your products specifically for rc use... not many of us need a quart of anything...other than gatorade... lol
I am sure Randy can expand on this, but from my conversation with him last week it was my understanding that he felt the RC market was too small to warrant the investment to break into that market to date. But he did say he was open to opportunities if it made sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.