Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Inexpensive Entry Level 1/10 EP Touring ? >

Inexpensive Entry Level 1/10 EP Touring ?

Like Tree104Likes

Inexpensive Entry Level 1/10 EP Touring ?

Old 09-08-2021, 01:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Inexpensive Entry Level 1/10 EP Touring ?

Hi All,
What car would you recommend for an inexpensive entry-level 1/10 Touring Car?
1. Xpress Execute XQ2S 1/10 Sport, fiberglass chassis, Touring Car Kit ($119)(Can be converted to mid-motor)
2. 3Racing Sakura Advance S 6/4 1/10, fiberglass chassis, Touring Car Kit ($89)
3. Other?
(plus cost of Motor, ESC, Radio, Servo, Charger, Battery, Body)

I have heard that the Xpress Execute XQ2S is of higher quality but the kit includes fewer parts.

I have thought about a used Xray T4 but I don't know enough to repair any issues.

Thank you !
Cheers

Last edited by museguy; 09-09-2021 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

So I have actually gone down a similar path to yours and currently have an X-ray T4 18 and I just bought and put together the Sakura S64.

I bought the Xray used and it was in perfect condition so I feel I got a really good deal on it. The quality of the Xray is obviously much higher than the Sakura but I am still impressed with the kit and what it offers for being so inexpensive! Currently I have the Xray setup for USGT and the Sakura will be for VTA.

Also, this pretty much won’t be inexpensive if you need to buy everything like batteries/charger/tx etc…even though the base kit might be!

Lonestar and museguy like this.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

A gently used xray is indeed your best bet.
mrreet2001 and museguy like this.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by skimax View Post
So I have actually gone down a similar path to yours and currently have an X-ray T4 18 and I just bought and put together the Sakura S64.

I bought the Xray used and it was in perfect condition so I feel I got a really good deal on it. The quality of the Xray is obviously much higher than the Sakura but I am still impressed with the kit and what it offers for being so inexpensive! Currently, I have the Xray setup for USGT and the Sakura will be for VTA.

Also, this pretty much won’t be inexpensive if you need to buy everything like batteries/charger/tx etc…even though the base kit might be!
Dear skimax (I assume you are a skiier !)

Thank you for sharing the photo, beautiful work !

Noob question, the Xray is on the right with mid-motor setup ?

Knowing as little as I know, bit nervous about the used Xray T4 route.

Would you recommend the Sakura Advance S 6/4 over the Execute XQ2S ?

Cheers

Last edited by museguy; 09-09-2021 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:58 PM
Tech Adept

The Xray is a rear motor. Used Xray are great as they are very durable cars. I've crashed mine very hard and rarely suffer from broken parts, breaks happen but usually follow a very violent mishap. Regardless of brand you will get very familiar with how to assemble/disassemble the car for repairs and maintenance. An added bonus at most tracks there are enough Xray drivers to help you identify problems, offer a replacement part and offer setup suggestions.
museguy likes this.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:59 PM
Tech Adept

Xpress is great value and great build quality and has great setup/ upgrade options and very fast after anti roll bars added
trx-1racer and museguy like this.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Would definitely go for Xpress XQ2s.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
A gently used xray is indeed your best bet.
Dear Lonestar
Thank you for the suggestion.

I did a quick look through the sales section and found Xray T4s in the price range of $150. What is the oldest year I should consider in the range of $150 used ? Thank you !

Cheers
Old 09-08-2021, 03:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by sweems View Post
The Xray is a rear motor. Used Xray are great as they are very durable cars. I've crashed mine very hard and rarely suffer from broken parts, breaks happen but usually follow a very violent mishap. Regardless of brand you will get very familiar with how to assemble/disassemble the car for repairs and maintenance. An added bonus at most tracks there are enough Xray drivers to help you identify problems, offer a replacement part and offer setup suggestions.
Dear ​​​​​sweems

Thank you for the feedback. Could I find a used Xray T4 in the range of $150 usd ? What is the oldest T4 that I should consider ?

Cheers
Old 09-08-2021, 04:12 PM
Tech Adept

Don't know about the current availability of $150 Xray chassis but they have been teasing the new touring car and many anticipate the X4 will be available in the next 1-1.5 months. That will trigger a ton of T4 chassis going on the for sale threads as people upgrade. I'd stay '17 and newer I think older than that and there were some parts differences that affect reliability.
museguy likes this.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As you said, it's pretty much the same game every year: once the new Xray TC comes out, there's a lot of people selling their "old" cars - I don't expect it to be any different with the coming X4 this year.
museguy likes this.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

1. Xpress Execute XQ2S 1/10 Sport, carbon fiber chassis, Touring Car Kit ($119)(Can be converted to mid-motor)
Note that this kit uses fibreglass, not carbon fibre. It'll still be my pick despite that.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

SNRC R2 and R3

http://sn-rc.com/en/pd.jsp?id=2588
museguy likes this.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
Note that this kit uses fibreglass, not carbon fibre. It'll still be my pick despite that.
You can pick up the Sakura S64 w/a RaceVTA alum. chassis for $160: KIT-ADVANCE-S64-ALUMINIUM

That doesn't seem like a terrible way to go to me if you race indoors on carpet. I'm in the market for an inexpensive TC to race VTA after being out of the hobby for awhile, so I've been looking at these options as well.
museguy likes this.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would think a used associated TC7 would be inexpensive now, probably the newest high end car that you could get at a low price
museguy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.