How to get a perfect cut on a body?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to get a perfect cut on a body?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

What kinda masking tape do you guys use and where to get it???? I use the masking tape I bought from my LHS and it sucked big time with residue everywhere.
Old 10-23-2001, 10:47 AM
Tech Regular

On the two bodies with thin white lines I used Pactra Flexible masking tape (1/4", 1/8" and 1/2").

The Pro 10 body was done with Scotch Masking tape. The one that the full size painters use, cut with a very sharp Xacto.

Now I'm using Duratrax Liquid mask and it's FREEDOM!!!! Total FREEDOM.

Now my bodies will look like they never did before (of course that after the first crash they'll look like they allways did...)

Last edited by antoniop; 10-23-2001 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-23-2001, 11:19 PM
Tech Master

hey nice pic alvin ....
but u REALLY put all ur time into the car dont u ? lol
think its worth it when u see the car which looks like its been freshly painted by the mutsibushi WRC team

but 5 hours 4 stickers is a bit toooooooooooooo long!
Old 10-24-2001, 02:59 AM
Tech Master

hehe, imataquito, first time lah, so I very cautious. Even used some denatured alchohol to clean off the lexan before putting the stickers down So that eats up quite alot of time

But seriously, the body making part is alot of fun. If I got the funds I'd get an airbrush and make some really whacky schemes. One of the schemes I like is one that I saw in a tamiya magazine, they had pokemon on the bonnet and doors
Old 10-24-2001, 11:12 PM
Tech Master

pokemon car ? lol
i have seen some REALLLY wacky paintjobs and some wicked ones on the track i jus wonder where they get the idea from ...
lol are they THAT creative ? i must b very un-creative then .. personally i prefer simple looking cars or pretty PLAIN looking ones
Old 10-25-2001, 12:36 AM
Tech Master

Alvin,

Does that body fit TB-evo chassis? You seems sto have regular TB01 under that body right?
Old 10-25-2001, 01:25 AM
Tech Master

imataquito, yeah! That mag is really very cool. I frankly am very sick of seeing stratuses all over the place. If I'm gonna use one of those it's gonna stand out!

TRF-Powered,
I'd guess not because the original tb01 rear body post holes are much further back. I have sinced changed to those with the same position as my TA04.

BUT if u are willing to ream out some new holes I do not see why it won't fit!

Why not get a Skyline or NSX shell? I heard those are good for racing. The EVO 6 is a very very "high" CG kind of shell.
Old 10-25-2001, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

The reason I think that i might not fit is that TBEVO has a really big bumper. Even fitting the NSX raybrig 2000 body needs some trimming to the bumper.... ... I guess I won't bother with it then.

Thanks ;
Old 10-25-2001, 01:00 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default How to get a perfect cut on a body? ...TSR6's Philosophy..

Every body is a learning body.. no matter how seasoned you are, you will make some mistake at some point. Your job is to notice the errors and not do them next time. I never messed up body post holes untill my last body... and since i hadent learned from any previous mistakes, i screwed up a body.

I also learned on a past body to score white Faskolor paint with an x-acto before removing the mask, otherwise some of the white paint pulls up with the mask.

I believe everyone can become a Pro painter, even with cans. Just take your time, and do your best. Learn something from each body.

Also try a different scheme for each body. I would like to thank Bob H. for keeping me from doing this... It made me learn new things instead of doing what i'm used to..
Old 10-25-2001, 02:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Cutting a body is easy. I make sure I can see the cut line - either highlight it with a sharpie (fine line) or just a visible line in the lexan. Use a new x-acto blade and score on the cut line and just carefully snap on the line.

When using masking tape or liquid mask try to avoid cutting too deep when cutting your pattern, the body could snap on the line. I don't do a pattern that requires cuts horizontally on the front area for that reason.
Old 10-26-2001, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

There is also a cheaper and easier way of cutting out wheel wells. I got this from a pit tips in rcca. You make your own compass out of lexan. a screw. and an x-acto knife. You take the piece of strait flat scrap lexan and poke a hole in one side on it for the screw and then you mount the body on the car. Then you poke a whole in the wheel well where the center of the wheel nut is and put the screw through it. Then you poke the x-acto knife through at the right spot where u want the height of the well and score it as much as u want.

Here is an example of a body I did when using the method.

Took me about 5 mins to score the line then another 10 to cut them out. And this was the first time I had to cut one out like that.