• 1 Post By danny325is
  • 1 Post By gigaplex
  • 1 Post By Nicadrauspro4

Mixed use on road.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 05:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Mixed use on road.

I'm in the mood to build something this winter and do not own an on-road car. I'm looking for a car that can be using on store parking lots and on a proper indoor track. I was originally going to get a Tamiya TT-02RR, but after researching I found out it is not highly recommended for more serious racing. I do not plan on doing hardcore racing but I would like the option open to me if I choose too. I've since narrowed my choices to the TA-07 Pro and the TB-05.Pro. Which of these two is the better option? I've read conflicting views on the belt driven vs shaft driven for unprepared pavement and was? Thanks for any help.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What classes do you plan to run?
Old 10-22-2019, 06:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Hopscotch
What classes do you plan to run?
USGT 21.5
Old 10-22-2019, 07:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

See what cars the locals run first so you are not at much of disadvantage if you plan to compete. I have the tt02rr for TCS only. Competitive guys at our track run Tamiya kits at TCS only and for local meets we all run XRAY Yokomo AMX mostly and shelf the tamiya kits. I’m sure the top kit 419 would be competitive but I don’t think anyone at our track runs it... $$$$.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:59 PM
Tech Regular

I have the TA07 pro and its a nice kit, goes together well. The TB05 pro will be similar quality and i don't think you'll be disappointed unless you're used to building the top level kits. I found the must have hop ups to race are the carbon fibre stiffeners and the alloy suspension blocks. The servo mount and carbon shock towers are nice to have too. People who know how to tune would also like the swaybars. You can go nuts with hop ups though which is part of the fun right - who needs the TA07MS when you can spend twice as much on your TA07 pro...

I know most people say shaft drive is better for unprepared surfaces but the TB05 still has exposed spur and pinion so i doubt there is much difference between them. If you're really worried about exposed gears and want to stay Tamiya then a TB03 or TB04 could be better, but they don't have the different motor positions and stiffeners etc.

Not helpful eh, I would just go with the one you like the look of, I doubt theres much difference between the TA07 and TB05
Jadefalkon likes this.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jgil089
I have the TA07 pro and its a nice kit, goes together well. The TB05 pro will be similar quality and i don't think you'll be disappointed unless you're used to building the top level kits. I found the must have hop ups to race are the carbon fibre stiffeners and the alloy suspension blocks. The servo mount and carbon shock towers are nice to have too. People who know how to tune would also like the swaybars. You can go nuts with hop ups though which is part of the fun right - who needs the TA07MS when you can spend twice as much on your TA07 pro...

I know most people say shaft drive is better for unprepared surfaces but the TB05 still has exposed spur and pinion so i doubt there is much difference between them. If you're really worried about exposed gears and want to stay Tamiya then a TB03 or TB04 could be better, but they don't have the different motor positions and stiffeners etc.

Not helpful eh, I would just go with the one you like the look of, I doubt theres much difference between the TA07 and TB05
The TB05 has a cover for the pinion/spur.

Nicadrauspro4 and jgil089 like this.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gigaplex
The TB05 has a cover for the pinion/spur.

thanks for clarifying that, I have seen pictures without the cover. Is that optional (like the TA07 has that cover which does nothing) or required (like the TT02 where the cover holds the bearing in?)

Given the cover that woukd make the TB05 the better car park racer wouldn't it?
Old 10-23-2019, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm gonna add one for the TA-07PRO. Been running it for 2+ years in am unprepared parking lot. Never had one issue with the belt. It is worn though. Never popped, or broke. I find the car to be very durable. Alloy suspension blocks are a must as well as the alloy pulleys. Chassis is super responsive to changes in chassis settings. I've messed with it only to find I keep going back to the kit settings. My shocks and diffs have never leaked, and I've not taken them apart since the initial build. I've gone through a few steering knuckles as they seem to strip out where the kingpin screw threads in, 1 control arm, and two suspension mounts. All of which have been replaced with alloy save for the control arm. It's an awesome car, and in my group it is the car to beat. I spend lots of time out in front of the pack.
Jadefalkon likes this.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jadefalkon
I'm in the mood to build something this winter and do not own an on-road car. I'm looking for a car that can be using on store parking lots and on a proper indoor track. I was originally going to get a Tamiya TT-02RR, but after researching I found out it is not highly recommended for more serious racing. I do not plan on doing hardcore racing but I would like the option open to me if I choose too. I've since narrowed my choices to the TA-07 Pro and the TB-05.Pro. Which of these two is the better option? I've read conflicting views on the belt driven vs shaft driven for unprepared pavement and was? Thanks for any help.
my 2 cents......If you truly want to compete with the other guys that run USGT, unless your a driving god, you gonna need a different car .. TRF 419 , Xray T4, AMX, and the like. Around here USGT is more competitive than TC.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by danny325is
my 2 cents......If you truly want to compete with the other guys that run USGT, unless your a driving god, you gonna need a different car .. TRF 419 , Xray T4, AMX, and the like. Around here USGT is more competitive than TC.
This will be my intro into on-road so I don't want to spend that much. The TA-07 or TB-05 Pro will be about $215. I'm looking for a starter car with some room for growth if I choose to really get into it.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Is the 419x still on sale cheap on tamiyausa? It was like $250 not long ago. I'd get that if its still on sale. I have the ta07 and like the car, but man the tub frame makes it a PITA to work on sometimes. You have to remove the upper braces to do suspension work a lot of the time.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This will be my intro into on-road so I don't want to spend that much. The TA-07 or TB-05 Pro will be about $215. I'm looking for a starter car with some room for growth if I choose to really get into it.
I tried that route. I would still recommend a Used Xray or the like that everyone else is running a your track. When you run a car just like top guys it is much easier for them to help you.
I spent spent a whole season trying to get an lesser known brand car up to speed. I bought a 4 year old xray from one of the local guys and I was immediately a mid pack driver instead of a back of the pack driver. it is just amazing how much easier a car is to drive when it is set-up and built correctly.

Now that my confidence and knowledge is higher I am much more comfortable building and setting different brand cars. That is why i just ordered a Sakura M20
Jadefalkon likes this.

Last edited by danny325is; 10-23-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Xpress XQ1S. Competitive with the top cars and only $100 plus shipping.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

I'd get the TB05 as it's shaft driven which is better for parking lot bashing/racing. It's also easier to work with during repair or servicing because as mentioned, the TA07 will require you to remove so much things to be able to work inside. Also as mentioned, upgrading with hop ups is addicting but costly. It's good that there are aftermarket parts such as Yeah Racing, 3Racing, Hot Racing, and Exotek as options because they are cheaper and sometimes, better than the Tamiya counterparts in terms of design and use. Parts like aluminum steering set, cf shock towers, aluminum suspension blocks, c-hubs, knuckles, uprights, carbon reinforced plastic parts are also very effective as they are stiffer and sturdier.
Jadefalkon likes this.

Last edited by Nicadrauspro4; 10-23-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Get what locals are running to share setups and what the LHS has parts for, for when you hit a board.