Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree423Likes

Tamiya TRF420 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 11:53 PM
Tech Adept

I am very happy that Tamiya is continuing to make new TRF cars. I am surprised however that it doesn’t seem to come with an active rear suspension after it being an big option on the 420 and now standard in the TA08.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zuqbu
I am very happy that Tamiya is continuing to make new TRF cars. I am surprised however that it doesn’t seem to come with an active rear suspension after it being an big option on the 420 and now standard in the TA08.
Hard to tell for sure...but look at the photo above of the rear end of the car...there is carbon plate sitting above the chassis that appears to be pocketed for eccentric pills...presumably for an active rear suspension mount? The question is 'included or optional?'
Old 01-28-2022, 05:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

My thoughts on TRF420X:
Most probably the 420X will not contain the ARS Axle, was it would furtherly increase the kit price. I would assume, that not all TRF420 customers were buying the ARS axle. In that sense it's everybody's own choice for ARS or not. On the pictures the TRF420 suspension can be clearly seen (with no obvious modifications). Also the suspension blocks will remain the same (why change a pretty new system, that has proofed it's performance in the past 2,5 years again?).
Interesting is the center pivot mount with a ball bearing in the topdeck. I know such a solution only from the Square Parsec-C (there it works pretty good). However, the 420X solution seem to work in a different way.
The rear lower chassis stiffener is also a solution that was successfully proofed in early TRF419X stage as prototype part (thanks to C. Donath!). Due to not enough space it was not continued for TRF420.
Rear motor layout is still used, as I also don't see any performance related reason for using mid-motor (as many other manufacturers nowadays).

Other smaller refinements, which I took from the teaser video:
- New more durable stabilizer bar mounts
- Shorter damper cylinders compared to TRF420 SSBB-V2 with less "space" left from the spring adjster to the top - resulting in lower CG and less mass - where at using 20mm springs the 420 dampers were just a bit too long
- New battery mount (... what will the glass fiber tape industry do from now on?)
- Asymmetrical topdeck (my first thoughs were: "what is the spare part number of that?")

All in all a pretty good "facelift" of the still well performing TRF420. Detailled specification, pricing and delivery dates will be available soon (most likely presented at official release at the 2022 Nuremberg Toy fair in February).
Old 01-28-2022, 07:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sakaguchinet

All in all a pretty good "facelift" of the still well performing TRF420. Detailled specification, pricing and delivery dates will be available soon (most likely presented at official release at the 2022 Nuremberg Toy fair in February).
It has been cancelled :-(

Source: https://tamiyablog.com/2022/01/cancellation-of-the-nuremberg-toy-fair-spielwarenmesse-2022/
Old 01-28-2022, 07:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by IAmGreatDane
it will start in a digital way (as most of the fairs nowadays) on February 2nd.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:59 AM
Tech Rookie

The new car looks so nice, and I’ll be honest even though I definitely don’t have the skill for this car, I want it!

I know this is just me reminiscing about the world of RC from my teens, but I wish TRF would come back in a big way and Marc Reinhard would head back to Tamiya to race it. Probably not as quick as an Awesomatix or though…

Luke
Old 01-28-2022, 12:33 PM
Tech Adept

My thoughts on TRF420X:
Most probably the 420X will not contain the ARS Axle, was it would furtherly increase the kit price. I would assume, that not all TRF420 customers were buying the ARS axle. In that sense it's everybody's own choice for ARS or not. On the pictures the TRF420 suspension can be clearly seen (with no obvious modifications). Also the suspension blocks will remain the same (why change a pretty new system, that has proofed it's performance in the past 2,5 years again?).
Interesting is the center pivot mount with a ball bearing in the topdeck. I know such a solution only from the Square Parsec-C (there it works pretty good). However, the 420X solution seem to work in a different way.
The rear lower chassis stiffener is also a solution that was successfully proofed in early TRF419X stage as prototype part (thanks to C. Donath!). Due to not enough space it was not continued for TRF420.
Rear motor layout is still used, as I also don't see any performance related reason for using mid-motor (as many other manufacturers nowadays).

Other smaller refinements, which I took from the teaser video:
- New more durable stabilizer bar mounts
- Shorter damper cylinders compared to TRF420 SSBB-V2 with less "space" left from the spring adjster to the top - resulting in lower CG and less mass - where at using 20mm springs the 420 dampers were just a bit too long
- New battery mount (... what will the glass fiber tape industry do from now on?)
- Asymmetrical topdeck (my first thoughs were: "what is the spare part number of that?")

Thank you for your analysis – a couple of interesting observations!
Personally I disagree about the pricing strategy, not with your analysis – but if costs are the reason for Tamiya to ommit the ARS I think they are mistaken.
First, they were happy to rise the price of the TA08 compared to the TA07 but you get SSBB dampers and ASR for an arguably neglectible premium – and the car is better because of it.
Second, the pricing trend is definately going up – Xray just launched an 800 squid car (and rather successfully?). Tamiya is marketing this car towards competitive racers and enthusiasts. They should build the best car they can and price accordingly – there’s no need to hit a certain price point.
aracefan likes this.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:07 PM
Tech Adept

it will start in a digital way (as most of the fairs nowadays) on February 2nd.
I can not wait :-)

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Bring on the haters.. 😉
jgil089 likes this.
Old 01-29-2022, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
Bring on the haters.. 😉
I'm not a hater, but just looking at it, on the surface alone, not to impressed.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Looking to replace my tired TC7.2 (I know, I know , but I love this car...) and was looking very hard at the Mugen or the Xray - but now. I may just wait to see what TRF team has in the box. I'm not very good and have always been a fan of Tamiya cars, so who knows, definitely intrigued though, to say the least.

Very interested to see Kentech build of the car and initial impressions.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Only Tamiya could get away with releasing a race chassis that is three years out of date,

But the truth is, these won't sell to racers, and Tamiya don't need them to. There is a huge community of RCers that will buy anything with a Tamiya badge on it. 99% of the kits sold will spend the rest of their lives on a shelf. Many may not even get built.
thirtydaZe likes this.
Old 01-29-2022, 02:41 PM
Tech Adept

Harsh but there's some truth to it lol.

Tamiya fanboys and club racers will still buy this car because it's Tamiya quality, and there genuinely isn't anything that sticks out that would make the car slow.
My 419X with updated suspension parts easily holds its own still, also can't forget the Tamiya blue in the sea of black coloured touring cars nowadays.

Raman likes this.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Probably still a good car for normal folks, even though it might lack the latest developments.
aracefan likes this.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by herrokero
Harsh but there's some truth to it lol.

Tamiya fanboys and club racers will still buy this car because it's Tamiya quality, and there genuinely isn't anything that sticks out that would make the car slow.
My 419X with updated suspension parts easily holds its own still, also can't forget the Tamiya blue in the sea of black coloured touring cars nowadays.
Same with my XR, it can hold it’s own against any Mugen, Xray.. that’s why I never opted for the 420. The 421 will take the TA08 style shape in arms to next level. We will probably see it this December.

In the mean time, I’m enjoying everyone buying the X4, bending bulkheads, breaking expensive parts and forking out $$$$ for replacements.

No thanks! I’ll keep driving my 6 year old TRF!
aracefan, V8 Rumble and h2e like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.