Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TRF420 Thread >

Tamiya TRF420 Thread

Like Tree349Likes

Tamiya TRF420 Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 12:53 AM
  #376  
Tech Apprentice
 
zuqbu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 79
Default

I am very happy that Tamiya is continuing to make new TRF cars. I am surprised however that it doesn’t seem to come with an active rear suspension after it being an big option on the 420 and now standard in the TA08.
zuqbu is offline  
Old 01-28-2022, 06:17 AM
  #377  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
ChrisP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shelby Twp, MI
Posts: 2,148
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by zuqbu View Post
I am very happy that Tamiya is continuing to make new TRF cars. I am surprised however that it doesn’t seem to come with an active rear suspension after it being an big option on the 420 and now standard in the TA08.
Hard to tell for sure...but look at the photo above of the rear end of the car...there is carbon plate sitting above the chassis that appears to be pocketed for eccentric pills...presumably for an active rear suspension mount? The question is 'included or optional?'
ChrisP is offline  
Old 01-28-2022, 06:43 AM
  #378  
Tech Apprentice
 
sakaguchinet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gruendau, Germany
Posts: 95
Default

My thoughts on TRF420X:
Most probably the 420X will not contain the ARS Axle, was it would furtherly increase the kit price. I would assume, that not all TRF420 customers were buying the ARS axle. In that sense it's everybody's own choice for ARS or not. On the pictures the TRF420 suspension can be clearly seen (with no obvious modifications). Also the suspension blocks will remain the same (why change a pretty new system, that has proofed it's performance in the past 2,5 years again?).
Interesting is the center pivot mount with a ball bearing in the topdeck. I know such a solution only from the Square Parsec-C (there it works pretty good). However, the 420X solution seem to work in a different way.
The rear lower chassis stiffener is also a solution that was successfully proofed in early TRF419X stage as prototype part (thanks to C. Donath!). Due to not enough space it was not continued for TRF420.
Rear motor layout is still used, as I also don't see any performance related reason for using mid-motor (as many other manufacturers nowadays).

Other smaller refinements, which I took from the teaser video:
- New more durable stabilizer bar mounts
- Shorter damper cylinders compared to TRF420 SSBB-V2 with less "space" left from the spring adjster to the top - resulting in lower CG and less mass - where at using 20mm springs the 420 dampers were just a bit too long
- New battery mount (... what will the glass fiber tape industry do from now on?)
- Asymmetrical topdeck (my first thoughs were: "what is the spare part number of that?")

All in all a pretty good "facelift" of the still well performing TRF420. Detailled specification, pricing and delivery dates will be available soon (most likely presented at official release at the 2022 Nuremberg Toy fair in February).
sakaguchinet is offline  
Old 01-28-2022, 08:31 AM
  #379  
Tech Adept
 
IAmGreatDane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 106
Default

Originally Posted by sakaguchinet View Post

All in all a pretty good "facelift" of the still well performing TRF420. Detailled specification, pricing and delivery dates will be available soon (most likely presented at official release at the 2022 Nuremberg Toy fair in February).
It has been cancelled :-(

Source: https://tamiyablog.com/2022/01/cancellation-of-the-nuremberg-toy-fair-spielwarenmesse-2022/
IAmGreatDane is offline  
Old 01-28-2022, 08:40 AM
  #380  
Tech Apprentice
 
sakaguchinet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gruendau, Germany
Posts: 95
Default

Originally Posted by IAmGreatDane View Post
it will start in a digital way (as most of the fairs nowadays) on February 2nd.
sakaguchinet is offline  
Old 01-28-2022, 12:59 PM
  #381  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 9
Default

The new car looks so nice, and I’ll be honest even though I definitely don’t have the skill for this car, I want it!

I know this is just me reminiscing about the world of RC from my teens, but I wish TRF would come back in a big way and Marc Reinhard would head back to Tamiya to race it. Probably not as quick as an Awesomatix or though…

Luke
lukej is offline  
Old 01-28-2022, 01:33 PM
  #382  
Tech Apprentice
 
zuqbu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 79
Default

Originally Posted by sakaguchinet View Post
My thoughts on TRF420X:
Most probably the 420X will not contain the ARS Axle, was it would furtherly increase the kit price. I would assume, that not all TRF420 customers were buying the ARS axle. In that sense it's everybody's own choice for ARS or not. On the pictures the TRF420 suspension can be clearly seen (with no obvious modifications). Also the suspension blocks will remain the same (why change a pretty new system, that has proofed it's performance in the past 2,5 years again?).
Interesting is the center pivot mount with a ball bearing in the topdeck. I know such a solution only from the Square Parsec-C (there it works pretty good). However, the 420X solution seem to work in a different way.
The rear lower chassis stiffener is also a solution that was successfully proofed in early TRF419X stage as prototype part (thanks to C. Donath!). Due to not enough space it was not continued for TRF420.
Rear motor layout is still used, as I also don't see any performance related reason for using mid-motor (as many other manufacturers nowadays).

Other smaller refinements, which I took from the teaser video:
- New more durable stabilizer bar mounts
- Shorter damper cylinders compared to TRF420 SSBB-V2 with less "space" left from the spring adjster to the top - resulting in lower CG and less mass - where at using 20mm springs the 420 dampers were just a bit too long
- New battery mount (... what will the glass fiber tape industry do from now on?)
- Asymmetrical topdeck (my first thoughs were: "what is the spare part number of that?")

All in all a pretty good "facelift" of the still well performing TRF420. Detailled specification, pricing and delivery dates will be available soon (most likely presented at official release at the 2022 Nuremberg Toy fair in February).
Thank you for your analysis – a couple of interesting observations!
Personally I disagree about the pricing strategy, not with your analysis – but if costs are the reason for Tamiya to ommit the ARS I think they are mistaken.
First, they were happy to rise the price of the TA08 compared to the TA07 but you get SSBB dampers and ASR for an arguably neglectible premium – and the car is better because of it.
Second, the pricing trend is definately going up – Xray just launched an 800 squid car (and rather successfully?). Tamiya is marketing this car towards competitive racers and enthusiasts. They should build the best car they can and price accordingly – there’s no need to hit a certain price point.
aracefan likes this.
zuqbu is offline  
Old 01-28-2022, 02:07 PM
  #383  
Tech Adept
 
IAmGreatDane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 106
Default

Originally Posted by sakaguchinet View Post
it will start in a digital way (as most of the fairs nowadays) on February 2nd.
I can not wait :-)

Thanks.
IAmGreatDane is offline  
Old 01-28-2022, 08:02 PM
  #384  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (85)
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,920
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

Bring on the haters.. 😉
jgil089 likes this.
Raman is offline  
Old 01-29-2022, 11:32 AM
  #385  
Tech Master
iTrader: (31)
 
thirtydaZe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Omaha
Posts: 1,110
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Bring on the haters.. 😉
I'm not a hater, but just looking at it, on the surface alone, not to impressed.
thirtydaZe is offline  
Old 01-29-2022, 12:23 PM
  #386  
Tech Master
iTrader: (67)
 
aracefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central FL
Posts: 1,371
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Looking to replace my tired TC7.2 (I know, I know , but I love this car...) and was looking very hard at the Mugen or the Xray - but now. I may just wait to see what TRF team has in the box. I'm not very good and have always been a fan of Tamiya cars, so who knows, definitely intrigued though, to say the least.

Very interested to see Kentech build of the car and initial impressions.
aracefan is offline  
Old 01-29-2022, 12:59 PM
  #387  
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 4,283
Default

Only Tamiya could get away with releasing a race chassis that is three years out of date,

But the truth is, these won't sell to racers, and Tamiya don't need them to. There is a huge community of RCers that will buy anything with a Tamiya badge on it. 99% of the kits sold will spend the rest of their lives on a shelf. Many may not even get built.
thirtydaZe likes this.
sosidge is offline  
Old 01-29-2022, 03:41 PM
  #388  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 207
Default

Harsh but there's some truth to it lol.

Tamiya fanboys and club racers will still buy this car because it's Tamiya quality, and there genuinely isn't anything that sticks out that would make the car slow.
My 419X with updated suspension parts easily holds its own still, also can't forget the Tamiya blue in the sea of black coloured touring cars nowadays.

Raman likes this.
herrokero is offline  
Old 01-29-2022, 04:11 PM
  #389  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
DirkW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,860
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Probably still a good car for normal folks, even though it might lack the latest developments.
aracefan likes this.
DirkW is offline  
Old 01-29-2022, 06:26 PM
  #390  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (85)
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,920
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by herrokero View Post
Harsh but there's some truth to it lol.

Tamiya fanboys and club racers will still buy this car because it's Tamiya quality, and there genuinely isn't anything that sticks out that would make the car slow.
My 419X with updated suspension parts easily holds its own still, also can't forget the Tamiya blue in the sea of black coloured touring cars nowadays.
Same with my XR, it can hold it’s own against any Mugen, Xray.. that’s why I never opted for the 420. The 421 will take the TA08 style shape in arms to next level. We will probably see it this December.

In the mean time, I’m enjoying everyone buying the X4, bending bulkheads, breaking expensive parts and forking out $$$$ for replacements.

No thanks! I’ll keep driving my 6 year old TRF!
aracefan, V8 Rumble and h2e like this.
Raman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.