Search
Like Tree3Likes

Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t4m1y4niac
can i know max rpm on your silver can motor guys???? johnson / mabuchi preferred.thx
With the right or secret breakin techniques you can get them from 17,500 at 7.2 v on up to 23,000 rpm at 7.2 v just depens on what kind of motor you get Johnson/Mabuchi wether or not its a good motor to begin with and if you do your research on finding different techniques of breaking them in. Trust me if your just starting to fool around with these motors your going to have to do your research or ask alot of questions sometimes both. Good luck!

P.S. Ask RCCARDR that guy has "Some" expereince with those motors. Right DOC.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well, perhaps a little experience....

Anyway, thought I would share with you what the Weirs did for the Mini Mayhem motors several weeks ago: 30 secs of Bushing Buster on each end, then 30 secs of water dipping, then a spray out and lube. (Dave and Nathanm feel free to add to this if I have mischaracterized, but that's what Nathan told us).

Most racers were using some sort of comm drop (Tribo, Hurricane, etc.), so they benefited from a cleanout each round, but the motors just got faster and faster with each round. Only one actually died to the best of my knowledge, and that looked like it had gotten something stuck inside -like a staple- that mashed two of the comm segments together.

The one I got to take home ("Pick Me!") was particularly tasty and will be seeing Mini action during the 2008 TCS season. Not as fast as some of my other motors (the one Marty was using to practice with was good for about 3 tenths per lap), but pretty darn torquey- great for a technical track like Trackside or SIR.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Doc- That motor came from the Balistreri/Sobottka pits by the way... Make good use of it! It was fun writing phrases on all the boxes after we ran each one lol
Old 10-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
Well, perhaps a little experience....

Anyway, thought I would share with you what the Weirs did for the Mini Mayhem motors several weeks ago: 30 secs of Bushing Buster on each end, then 30 secs of water dipping, then a spray out and lube. (Dave and Nathanm feel free to add to this if I have mischaracterized, but that's what Nathan told us).

Most racers were using some sort of comm drop (Tribo, Hurricane, etc.), so they benefited from a cleanout each round, but the motors just got faster and faster with each round. Only one actually died to the best of my knowledge, and that looked like it had gotten something stuck inside -like a staple- that mashed two of the comm segments together.

The one I got to take home ("Pick Me!") was particularly tasty and will be seeing Mini action during the 2008 TCS season. Not as fast as some of my other motors (the one Marty was using to practice with was good for about 3 tenths per lap), but pretty darn torquey- great for a technical track like Trackside or SIR.
Actually, 60 secs of bushing buster on one end, holding motor vertically to allow buster to get into bushing, then flip motor and 60 secs of bushing buster on the opposite end, then 30 sec water dip reverse, 30 secs water dip forward, spray out, relub and that was it. Of course, we also dyno each one as well. Out of 40 motors, 30 were within 4% on PRM and 3% on torque valves (top to bottom), 2 were absolute dogs, and 8 were about 10% above the average. We used the 30 for the racing, tossed the 2 dogs, and the 8 others, well, lets just say that they might make an appearance at a later date!!
Old 10-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Yep, Tony's Dad asked me if I would part with it after the Mains. We all know the answer to that one.

Now here's the mystery question: who had the motor the heat before you guys did and wrote "Pick Me!" on it?

That would be...me! Only motor I had twice the whole event.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

The one I ran 15.3's with, had a black dot in the lower right hand corner of the box!
Old 10-20-2007, 06:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StephenSobottka
The one I ran 15.3's with, had a black dot in the lower right hand corner of the box!
Hey, I got that motor to take home! Cool. But someone must have done something to it, cuz I didn't get a 15.3 out of it. Of course, the only way I'd get a 15.3 is to take a short cut on the track.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

"I am a Stone", "Mr. Average", "Awesome Power", "I'm Just OK", and "I Want to be in Your Car!"- all excellent motors.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rccardr
"I am a Stone"
I thought it was "I am a Rock" or "I am an Island", just ask Paul or Art. . .
Old 11-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

I was wondering if anyone has tried using an ultrasonic cleaner to clean these motors. I'm a retired dentist and put one in a ultrasonic cleaner with dish soap. Was amazed at how much gunk was still left after using motor spray. My motors seemed to perform better afterwards
Old 11-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Why don't you bring your ultrasonic bluebonic chronic motor dentist cleaner machine thingy with you next friday and we will try and clean it there. We can run dyno tests. Let me know if you need my truck to transport it to so cal
Old 11-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
Why don't you bring your ultrasonic bluebonic chronic motor dentist cleaner machine thingy with you next friday and we will try and clean it there. We can run dyno tests. Let me know if you need my truck to transport it to so cal
You got it. I'd run the tests myself, but blew up my tester last week
Old 11-04-2007, 01:00 AM
Tech Addict

What sort of ESC do you guys recommend to use with silver can 540's in touring cars?
Old 11-04-2007, 01:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
I think I found Tribotech R/C commutator lubricant/drops.
And alot of it anyone interested.

Brandon, I'm interested
Old 11-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by turtle
What sort of ESC do you guys recommend to use with silver can 540's in touring cars?
I like the Novak GTS. They're about 80 bucks and deadly reliable and work as is with a Spektrum. The high end stuff is pretty much overkill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.