Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree144Likes

Schumacher Eclipse 2 1:12 chassis

Hide Wikipost
Old 09-27-2018, 09:09 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Schumacher Eclipse 2 1:12 chassis
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: 1/8 IC Fan

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Default Good

Originally Posted by TrevCoult
I've seen a prototype of the next Eclipse. Though it wasn't the final car I don't think you will be disappointed when it comes out.
I have decided to stick to Schumacher for 12th scale, despite the missing F1 chassis, so that is good to hear.
qcrc likes this.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:58 PM
Tech Adept

In Atom 2 - what happened to damping the front? System like Asso 12L when I left the sport 1985...
Asso RC 12 L | RC Car Museum

;-)
Old 09-18-2019, 11:18 PM
Tech Regular

It is the same as the damping on 90% of current 12th LMP cars. It works and keeps the car simple to work on.
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:48 PM
Tech Adept

You are right - and of course I am provoking a bit ;-)

Lets analyse the infoīs. The exploded diagram is available at racing-cars.com.
I like the hard-coated kingpin U7880, although to my knowledge, DLC coating would be even bettter frictionwise.
The ball joint U7881 we find in former designs, like the Supastox pivot of rear pod and current Eclipse2 front axle carrier mount. This part did occasionally break out of the press fit in its mounting hole. After learning that, in all my cars I secure them in with superglue.
This ball joint was never freee of play and cannot be adjusted, but the distance of upper and lower beams U7892 U7892 may put the wobble in the usual tolerance, which seems to be class standard.
I am still waiting on higher precision front wheel guiding. It may improve the performance. (In a real car, if there is any play, something is broken or worn out and you must repair)
The play in the ball joint bore for axle + damping fluid will again provide a damping function. There is no reason, the damping fluid will stay in these quite short space, resulting in frequent maintenance. I found the current eclipse 2/Atom solution more elegant - you can re-feed damping oil from the top mounting holes of the kingpins.
The solid mount of the upper beam will increase stability, but add a little weight.
In the back, finally adjustable play free side links U7872 (like many competitors) and a new pivot with also adustable play. This promises improved function = maybe improving performance.

Certainly a good car! Schumacher doesnīt release cars without competition testing.

Best regards, Erhard
Old 10-16-2019, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Default Convert

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease
I assume the Eclipse will receive the same awesomeness - finally a steel chassis and a bunch of other goodness!
https://www.redrc.net/2019/09/schuma...r/#more-174741
So can I just install my Eclipse 2 rear hubs/axle on new Atom 2 and have a new "LMP" class 12th scale (convert 12th GT to standard 12th)?
Old 10-17-2019, 12:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Do you have any experience with the Eclipse 2 in the GT12 body? The GT12 body's downfors are clearly smaller than the C12's. For
Old 10-17-2019, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ilpo
Do you have any experience with the Eclipse 2 in the GT12 body? The GT12 body's downfors are clearly smaller than the C12's. For
I'm asking if i can convert the new Atom to a standard 12th scale chassis in order to shortcut the wait for the new Eclipse. I need a new 12th.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

GT12 is an up and coming class it seems...is the steel chassis competent for that class? I have a small indoor track I'd like to toy around with
Old 10-17-2019, 11:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease
So can I just install my Eclipse 2 rear hubs/axle on new Atom 2 and have a new "LMP" class 12th scale (convert 12th GT to standard 12th)?
You could, but you'll have a very heavy LMP. The Atom 2 has a steel chassis as it is designed specifically for GT12 (original UK type GT12) with a weight limit of 950g, so just the chassis plate weighs over 200g.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:36 AM
Tech Adept

You could, but you'll have a very heavy LMP. The Atom 2 has a steel chassis as it is designed specifically for GT12 (original UK type GT12) with a weight limit of 950g, so just the chassis plate weighs over 200g.
I think, if you have no motor limit and therefore compensate the heavy weight, it is worth a try. The low center of gravity is a significant benefit.
The rear axle can be transferred. In fact, only the hub carriers differ.
On the front, the story is different, The GT12 have smaller front width too. I am not sure how to adapt front width. Is it just the wheels? I dont think so, but I donīt know.
I think the Atom 2 is showing a bad thing. GT12 was designed to be a robust class for a budget option in Racing. Now - the components are expensive again and identical too LMP. But the cars are no more robust to the same extent. Quite the contrary - the parts are more stressed due to the great weight difference. This is damaging the good idea and spirt of GT12.

BR Erhard
westendorfy likes this.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Default Thank you

Interesting and still tempting.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Erhard
I think, if you have no motor limit and therefore compensate the heavy weight, it is worth a try. The low center of gravity is a significant benefit.
The rear axle can be transferred. In fact, only the hub carriers differ.
On the front, the story is different, The GT12 have smaller front width too. I am not sure how to adapt front width. Is it just the wheels? I dont think so, but I donīt know.
I think the Atom 2 is showing a bad thing. GT12 was designed to be a robust class for a budget option in Racing. Now - the components are expensive again and identical too LMP. But the cars are no more robust to the same extent. Quite the contrary - the parts are more stressed due to the great weight difference. This is damaging the good idea and spirt of GT12.

BR Erhard
I completely disagree about the Atom 2 not being robust. It is probably the strongest GT12 car that has ever been released. I know how much extreme testing Schumacher put in to make sure that the car is not easy to break.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:19 AM
Tech Adept

OK, what about the carbon diff-axle? We broke a few in the 20% lighter Eclipses. Also the improved ones. Never broke a steel axis in Supastox. The rear axis ball bearing - same. (compare to supastox Ball Bearings)...
Front axle ? OK might be more robust, than Eclipse.
But I do not only want to complain. Overall the cars are competitive, robust and easy to work on. The price to value ratio is excellent.

Anyways, I am looking forward to the Eclipse 3 as the Atom 2 does not fit into our weird German GT class with 800g weight limit. (basically we run pan cars with GT shell, not even tyres need to be different).

Maybe an Atom 2 with lighter chassis (-150g!) would be a solution here. Should be doable with carbon instead of steel, as an option part.

Any idea, when the Eclipse 3 will be released?

Best regards, Erhard
Old 10-20-2019, 11:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Erhard
OK, what about the carbon diff-axle? We broke a few in the 20% lighter Eclipses. Also the improved ones. Never broke a steel axis in Supastox.
Maybe you ought to look at the Atom 2 more closely. You haven't even noticed that it has a steel axle. If you look you will realise how much thought has gone into it.
DavidNERODease and Erhard like this.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:30 AM
Tech Adept

My fault! Well, the exploded view is showing a black (carbon) axle, but looking closer, Kit axle has a different number and in spare part list appears as steel-axle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.