Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree144Likes

Schumacher Eclipse 2 1:12 chassis

Hide Wikipost
Old 09-27-2018, 09:09 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Schumacher Eclipse 2 1:12 chassis
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: 1/8 IC Fan

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 09:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default Schumacher Eclipse 2 1:12 chassis

Red RC ? RC Car News » Schumacher Eclipse 2 LMP12 1/12th scale pan car

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Car%20Showroom/Eclipse%202.html

Old 09-27-2018, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

A very nice update from Schumacher! Dammit, why are their so many great cars now!
Old 09-27-2018, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I Like the Corally inspired front end, but I wish the would have gone with a traditional rear end.

Patrick
Old 09-28-2018, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

I think It's finally time to give 12th scale a try again.
qcrc likes this.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:30 AM
Tech Adept

I am very surprised by the new design of the front!
It sacrifices the only state of the art front suspension with defined damping (tubes!) on the market. The damping in the front is actually the only remaining way to basically further improve a PanCar, as it gives better traction and control to the whole car. Everything else was/is already out there from every chassis on the market.

The "new" front suspension design is basically from the 1980´s introduced by Associateds 12L (in a better way!). D
Damping here is based on friction, which also is not favourably designed by using the short bore of the axle arm (hub-carrier). Maybe they can control this by well chosen material combination.
Also adjustability of roll center is gone. (Its now in plane with the track surface)

From suspension perspective the car is now a step back to the Atom, but with PanCar spec.

BR Erhard
Old 09-30-2018, 06:01 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Erhard
I am very surprised by the new design of the front!
It sacrifices the only state of the art front suspension with defined damping (tubes!) on the market. The damping in the front is actually the only remaining way to basically further improve a PanCar, as it gives better traction and control to the whole car. Everything else was/is already out there from every chassis on the market.

The "new" front suspension design is basically from the 1980´s introduced by Associateds 12L (in a better way!). D
Damping here is based on friction, which also is not favourably designed by using the short bore of the axle arm (hub-carrier). Maybe they can control this by well chosen material combination.
Also adjustability of roll center is gone. (Its now in plane with the track surface)

From suspension perspective the car is now a step back to the Atom, but with PanCar spec.

BR Erhard
I am sure that whatever Schumacher did for the design was for a reason perhaps. Who knows until someone drives it, we will not know.

And you know that they say about something simple - its reliable!
Old 09-30-2018, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
I am sure that whatever Schumacher did for the design was for a reason perhaps. Who knows until someone drives it, we will not know.

And you know that they say about something simple - its reliable!
Well, it was driven enough to know in the Atom, which is a car that works fine for GT with motor limit. Let´s see.
I experimented a little with front end damping and must say its a great difference on uneven surface, less on plane surface. Its more important the faster you go also.
And for sure, a simple system can not provide a well defined damping, nor can it be adjusted. The only thing you could do is lubricate with viscous oil, but that would not keep the performance for long.
But as you sayed, lets just wait for the first reviews.

BR Erhard
Old 09-30-2018, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

The Front end might work fine, I think the biggest thing to take from this, is the robustness of the Spindle design, and perhaps it works quite well at maintaining the tires contact patch? I do not know for certain, but I would like to give it a try.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

New front end looks simple, rigid, and strong. Obviously it’s going to be critical that the steering blocks slide nicely on the kingpins with or without syrup added for dampening. Looks like ride height is adjusted easy enough via adding or removing the U4865 spacers that go beneath the steering block? And caster appears to be set via the U3131 spacers that go beneath the lower arm (thicker ones up front & thinner ones at the rear mounting screws). What I don’t see is a way to adjust camber. Perhaps with optional top crossbars?
Old 09-30-2018, 12:40 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah who knows, unless they offer new posts (U7485) and a top plate to accommodate a range of Caster settings?
Old 09-30-2018, 10:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vafactor
...What I don’t see is a way to adjust camber. Perhaps with optional top crossbars?
Yes, there is two different settings currently: 0,75° and 1,5° (U7480, speed secret option parts)
BR Erhard.

P.S.: I hope the front end of Eclipse 1 still fits the E2. Hole pattern of chassis plate appears to be the same there :-)
jetnjme likes this.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

ordered up! I like the simplicity

yes, the front suspension from the v1 will bolt on the chassis of the v2
qcrc and Erhard like this.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:33 PM
Tech Regular

Hi there from the UK (and hi Jamie!). The car in more or less has been run in it's current form for several months now in the UK nationals and other meetings in both 13.5 and mod, and has proven to be both fast and easy to work on. A lot of people seem put off by the rear of both this and the Eclipse 1. Don't be, it may look different but it works. We received our cars just before last weekend and ran on a test day last Sunday and was the fastest car we have ever had out of the box with the setup shown on the back of the manual. It was even faster after a few track specific tweaks.
Feel free to ask questions, if I don't know the answer myself I can find out.

Yes, the old front end does fit on the current car.

The pivot can be placed in 2 different positions to allow for higher/lower grip.

The chassis flex can be changed by using posts in different positions on the top deck.

The front may be simple, and yes reminds me of an old Corally too, but has been back to backed with the older front and is at least just as quick.

A small anecdote. A few months ago, the lead designer of the Eclipse 2 entered a UK modified national with an Atom CC GT12 converted to LMP spec by removing all the weight and adding an Eclipse rear axle. He was 2nd in the A main with it.

Last edited by TrevCoult; 10-04-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

(Hi Trevor!) excellent info, thank you. Mine will be in my hands this evening, Woo Hoo! Hope to have it built and running Saturday for "Oktoberfest" at Speedworld Raceway

P.S. Anyone interested in a CK25? lol
TrevCoult likes this.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TrevCoult
Hi there from the UK ......
A small anecdote. A few months ago, the lead designer of the Eclipse 2 entered a UK modified national with an Atom CC GT12 converted to LMP spec by removing all the weight and adding an Eclipse rear axle. He was 2nd in the A main with it.
;-)
As I said, its an Atom !
Nevertheless, great info here!
What maintainance is needed on the front and how often?
Is the new front still competitive against the old one in open class on bumpy conditions?

BR Erhard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.