Search
Like Tree1187Likes

wtcc's TT-02 KR

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This thread isn’t dead

Even though it must have felt that way, because nothing happened for two weeks. Just a small update of what is going on right now with the TT-02 KR project:

Since the race in Erlangen the car was laying around as a 3d puzzle on my table. My wife celebrated her birthday and together we celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary last weekend, so I had to skip the last race in Bamberg. Chris won the race in front of Marc and my nearest points rival Sascha. This severely cut my points lead down...

Some days ago the new carbon fiber parts arrived. Tomorrow the 3d print parts will arrive. Then I need to assemble the car. I started today to put the electronics in a new tub.

The next weeks will be full of non-RC-work and I don‘t know when I will drive KR again. A very unsatisfying situation as I need to do setup work to make the car faster and better on asphalt... At least I have some clear ideas and a plan what to test.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wtcc
This thread isn’t dead
The next weeks will be full of non-RC-work and I don‘t know when I will drive KR again. A very unsatisfying situation as I need to do setup work to make the car faster and better on asphalt... At least I have some clear ideas and a plan what to test.
Full of understatement. That's what this all is.

You're insane, and i'm loving this project.
wtcc likes this.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I have this thread open in a tab which I refresh every day after work. Always look forward to new updates ( as well as your Tyrell posts in the F1 thread)!
wtcc likes this.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:21 PM
Tech Champion

Correct, great project !!! Let me know when you decide to build a TC4-KR .....
wtcc likes this.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks! Your words are a motivation to keep posting every little update

The car together with the series I race it in becomes a kind of second job. A lot of hours went into the development and preparation already. On a raceday the car runs for 39 minutes (3 x 5 minute qualifyer and 3 x 8 minute finals). All the following maintenance and preparation for the next race/training takes around 7 hours. So for every minute of running, more than 10 minutes of work go into the chassis...

As my time is limited right now, I made an evening shift yesterday, not only adding the new parts, but cleaning everything. To my surprise the ball bearings survived the rain and days after, until I cleaned them pretty good. Just one old bearing couldn't be brought back to a smooth resistence free spinning. The new parts fit very good. Just some of the 3D printed ones needed correction. In the print process some dimensions get more material than planned. This is very good recognizeable with parts where I need precision, like the caps/spacer for the carbon plates that hold down the differential ball bearings. This time around 0.25-0.5mm needed to be removed to have no play.
On the pictures the new carbon fiber parts are shown. They are reduced in thickness and geometry to save money and weight. The droop plates are not the lowest part anymore. The tub chassis is 0.5mm lower. On asphalt I prefer the tub to be worn down as it is (nearly) the cheapest part on this car. I really like the new bumper brace, which will now lead the excessive crash energy into the tub and is therefore saving the front droop plate and lower bumper brace from damage. It might not show, but every part is a little different than the first v2.While the carbon fiber parts lost material, I added a little strategically to the plastic parts.

Unfortunately I have problem with not Tamiya differentials and my dust caps. Somehow the 3racing diff is larger in width and diameter (around 1mm). Now my caps are too small This is a little unfortunate, because the next race is next week already. I guess I will have to drive with an open diff...

Old 05-24-2019, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wtcc

When your car is this clean and well modded, it's hard to see it scrape the chassis and those nice screws on asphalt. Seeing them getting scratched is ouch!
NutDriver likes this.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Maybe three weeks ago I played around in my CAD program to check for a possible rear diffuser. After several approaches I decided for a design that uses the maximum of available area and that would not lead to a stall of the flowing air by having a steep angle.
In between my work I let the old 3d printer build the now following prototype. It came out quite good and is stronger than I would have expected. I will now use it for a pre race test on saturday. My aim is to renounce the normal rear wing on larger fast outdoor tracks... This aspiration is maybe utopian, but I will try. Well I am not really overmotivated, but will give undertray downforce a last chance.

Marcos.J, Nerobro, G-rem and 2 others like this.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Man so cool. Kevin if you ever decide to offer conversions again please let me know!

As a note, the Diffuser on the DXF Competition 1:8 2wd pan car made a huge difference, even in windy conditions on longstrights when the bodies side dams were affected by cross winds.

great job, always inspiring to see your postings!
Old 05-29-2019, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Thank you! I hope it will work like you described it.

It looks much better fittet to the Venom body

Old 05-29-2019, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

I wish undertrays were legal in most classes. Diffiusers are specifically outlawwed in most classes here..
Old 05-29-2019, 01:05 PM
Tech Champion

My son no longer runs it as DXF is no longer in Buisness, and we converted to Brushless. The Diffuser is an its last leg held together with Silicone and Uhu!

Yet you can see on the G10 chassis where there is now a cross bridge was open, and the internal winglets on the outside were higher than the inside one. Here are some pics.

With the open rear bodies of 1:8 IC the under body and under chassis air was well channeled. The DXF Megatron had even more sidepods!

wtcc likes this.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for sharing. The angle is very steep. A clever design with the channels to throw the air upwards.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:22 PM
Tech Champion

It acted almost like another Gurney flap! Kept the rear planted, had to be careful not to unweight the front end and make it float, lol.

Which now with Serpents new 1:8 aero bumper and mini Diffuser looks like its becoming more common.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

That diffuser looks fantastic. Extra much so for a first time attempt. It might be too brittle for regular use but if you print a simpler negative you can vacuum form a lexan diffuser over it. All you need is a oven or even just a heat gun and a vacuum cleaner.

Also. Let there be a flat edge at the sides of the diffuser. It gives the air a longer way to escape. Personally i think you can go wider with the "tunnels" too ofc.

Please post more pictures of it. Directly from below and closer for instance.

Edit: If you want to get crazy(you kinda already is there) you can mount the diffuser to the suspension and not the chassis. That way it does not move up and down with ride height. Trouble is getting it to not bind the suspension.
Edit: 1/8 IC Fan that is sorta like a double diffuser. pic of brawn double diffuser here https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/4Z...-brawn-gp1.jpg

Last edited by MatsNorway; 06-02-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Time for a (loooooong) race report

I got up early on saturday to travel the 200km to Bad Gögging (Bavaria). It is an old roman town with a lot of wellness baths, hotels and golf holes. At the side of it there is a beautifully placed racetrack for our onroad cars.

What then happened was all clumsy and mishaps. First I roasted my esc by getting the polarity wrong, then after installing a new loaned esc, I chose the wrong tires and drove the car into the wall, killing my servo. Again on the track with a loaned servo I lost a tire in the middle of my run After a little more than one hour I was already in a mood to commit the japanese ritual suicide (seppuku). I regained my will to continue and have to say thank you to all the guys who helped me out. One guy even sacrificed his spare car to give me his esc. So three guys saved my weekend after I behaved so stupid in the beginning.

I was able to drive the next battery incident free. Looking at the times I was over one second slower than Chris. This was a mild shock. I changed to the Volante Hybrid tire and was suddenly on pace. Then I changed to harder springs and a different front suspension geometry and was blistering fast. The times were up to 4 tenth faster than Chris, but looked better than they were, because he drove very old tires and I a new set. So it was a strange day, but with a happy end on my side.

At this point I have to praise the track layout. Consisting of a fast part with full and nearly full throttle corners and s-curves and a slow section with u-turns and slow chicanes. One section of the fast layout needed a special driving line to carry the speed from the main straight through a 90 degree left corner, a chicane, two left corners and one right corner until you reached the first hairpin after another short straight. You could run through all these full throttle, if you lifted just a little before the first one of the two left corners. Hitting the line and all apexes really made the lap satisfying.

Then a real nice evening followed. Chris and his wife Diana offered me to stay at their home. They prepared an extraordinary barbeque with fine meat, salads and drinks. We had nice talks and a good time. Thanks again for the hospitality

The raceday started early. I didn‘t change the setup and drove two runs to regain a good rhythm for the track. The first qualifier then was crazy. I was dominating, lapping the field twice except for Chris of course. Around this time the temperatures were maybe around 20-25*C. With new tires my car was awesome. Just the tight last sector was not nice. The car didn‘t build up the front grip under braking that I needed.
The second qualifier was very good, too. Not as commanding as before, but still nice. Chris changed back to the setup with what he drove his fastest laptimes the day before and reduced his times by two tenth that way. In the last qualifier I made a mistake, jumping the curb and losing 5.5 seconds laying on the roof.

Then a very long lunchbreak followed. I again used it to keep a good rhythm and drove for 10 minutes. In between the laps I stopped on the poleposition mark and practised the start and the first corners. No problem here, all went well.

The first final: Chris and I had a good start, while the rest of the pack seemed to be a little surprised by the starting signal. My car had understeer in every corner. Chris was at my tail and chased me through the tight section. I had to fight, but made every apex, preventing his overtake. Unfortunately in the last hairpin before the straight, he touched my rear end and pushed the body under the tire. Chris continued, the field got through and I lost around 10 seconds until the car was marshalled. I hunted the field and was lucky to see them chrash in front of me giving me the second place on a plate. I concentrated on reeling Chris in, but failed by just under 2 seconds after 8 minutes. Well I wasn‘t happy about our clash. The good thing is, that we openly discussed about it. The other side is, that we are not different from any other rivalling race car driver. We had two different opinions and no one saw a fault in what he did. We also sat next to each other in the paddock and started to speak about it several times.

I was in a bad mood before the second the final and chose another starting position. Even though the positions were marked on the track, at this race nobody cared if you had your car in the marked box or not. As the pole position was offside the driving line, we guessed that this caused my bad understeer in the first laps... (as stupid as the 1990 Suzuka pole position box ). All went well. Just the tight section still didn‘t suit my front axle. This time I didn’t let Chris come close enough to make a move. After some laps I opened up a gap and brought it home safe.

In between the runs, the technical inspection was very interested in Chris and my car. We constantly lapped the whole field. Well they had to accept that our cars were legal. Us drivers later recognized, that the magnetic field of the motors was recognizeable differing in strength. My motor is one of the first hour and has the weakest field. Chris motor has a significantly stronger field and newer motors show an even stronger magnet. So my dominance was helped not just by my lightweight car and less rear toe, but through a higher rpm of the motor. I am honest: I am not sad about it and I don‘t care that this gives me an advantage. I just hope this motor doesn‘t die like the LRP X11 did years ago.

For the last final I increased the brake power from 70% to 75% to help with the turn in steering in the tight section. And voilá, it worked much better. Chris still was a little faster there, but much less than before. I pulled away slowly and was happy with a better performing car. Even though the track got slower through the hot temperatures (30*C air) I drove a second faster overall.

In conclusion this was a nice weekend with a perfect result and a lot of mixed emotions. My nearest points rival didn’t attend, so I gained back my points advantage. The winner trophy is huge and heavy, which always makes me happy. I again learned a lot about my car and asphalt tracks. Chris and I are always close in a race, with him being the better driver and me having the better car. Changing luck then decides who is in front of whom. And we return ever stronger and faster.

After the chaotic beginning, I didn’t really test the diffuser as much as I would have liked. I just can say that it survived my bad driving in the beginning. I also want to build something to help with downforce in front in the near future

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.